Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2008, 11:58 PM   #76
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Pentax has no any APS-H sensor and nothing to talk about.
Some DA lenses can cover 1.3 crop, some are not.

I can agree with idea to use 17.3 MP APS-H sensor (16:9, 30.2 x 16.7 mm) with mask to 14.6MP APS-C (3:2) for not above USD1300.
But...Pentax will need to make list of DA lenses which compatible with new sensor.

As for me it's hard to understand how to use 16:9 ratio for photos.
If Pentax really makes such sensor, it will be need also to offer additional aspect ratio like E-30 can.

But idea is not bad. Lets' wait and we will see. Bigger sensor can offer real working ISO1600 and new ratio for photos is very useful.
17.3 MP with FA lenses is good too.

Anyway, I think that rumor about APS-H is fake.
Old fake.

Last edited by ogl; 11-06-2008 at 12:13 AM.
11-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #77

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
heard a great comment from a camera store last week.

No K300D, but a K30D and a K3D

the K30 would have ISO up to 128,000, and the K3 would be a fully pro camera. No comment on sensor format.

I had to laugh.
Finally some reliable rumours !

I wish the K3 went beyond being just a pro camera though. Maybe it could be, um, super-pro or something.

The K30 is going to make a killing with astronomers apparently.
11-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #78

Photos: Gallery
It is all about re-inventing the wheel and building better mouse traps.

Evolution vs Revolution!!!

Right now we have KxxD, KxxxD, KxxxxD.......... a KxD makes more sense to complete the line-up.

To simplify it some more semi-pro, amatuer and beginner. Full blown pro is the only one missing.

K3D is the chance to be revolutionary, in the same way the K10D introduced feature packed value for money when introduced.

K30D will be a gradual evolution of the K20D, fixing current issues and improving known technologies.

K300D will adopt many of the feautres from the K20D

K3000D will adopt many of the features from the K200D in an easy to understand format.

But until I see one for myself, I will not guess what features or what specs will go where because I live in the here & now and need to get things done. The possibilities are endless with many wishlists and hopes. I have enjoyed buying my Pentax eighteen months ago and I have liked the gradual improvements made since then. Not everything has been perfect but nothing ever is. I just hope for a gentle next step, rather than a blatant leap.

Some people will ever be satisfied and as soon as the K30D is released, then speculation will start about the K40D on the very next day. Meanwhile, I will be happy churning out good results with my value for money camera I already own, rather than waiting for the next big thing.
11-11-2008, 08:25 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cicak Quote
So, when you should we expect to see the K30D hit the market? I am ready to jump into the K20D now. Dare I wait?
In time for summer 2009, this has been said in recent interviews with Pentax/Hoya representatives.

11-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
They may be able to make the body compatible with DA lenses using an APS-H. The only thing that would really change would be the crop factor, 1.3 vs. 1.55.
As I wrote, this will be very confusing for the users.
Now we know what a wide angle is in APS-C size, we know what a tele lens is, we know what a portrait lens is. We have adjusted for APS-C.
With APS-H, we have to learn a new system again. A system where 35 does not mean standard focal length and 50-55 does not mean portrait/short tele.
11-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
In time for summer 2009, this has been said in recent interviews with Pentax/Hoya representatives.
I really wished that global companies would not use seasons as a generalisation. Summer 2009 starts on January 1 here.
11-17-2008, 03:22 PM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by Livewireshock Quote
I really wished that global companies would not use seasons as a generalisation. Summer 2009 starts on January 1 here.
Really? It starts on December 1 here!

But yes I agree with you, Q3 2004 or something would be better - us Southern Hemispherers get a bit tired of being forgotten... Like having to constantly tell Microsoft Office to not underline words like colour and sympathise!

11-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #83
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tophorus Quote
Really? It starts on December 1 here!

But yes I agree with you, Q3 2004 or something would be better - us Southern Hemispherers get a bit tired of being forgotten... Like having to constantly tell Microsoft Office to not underline words like colour and sympathise!
Can't you just select en_AU (English (Australia) under Region & Language Options) instead of en_US for your locale?
11-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #84

I think that everyone can rest assured that pentax will release a new FF 20+ megapixel body - now that i've bought a k20d ;-)

...last time i bought a k100d the k10d was released 2 months later, so we'll see if history repeats itself.

Seriously though, even if they did i'd still be chuffed with the K20, feels much more substantial that the k100, i've now got the resolution to produce all the image sizes I need to print, and I love that they've got multi function dials so i'm not mucking around in menus to change metering and AF modes...reminds me of the old MZ-5n days.
11-27-2008, 12:44 AM   #85
Inactive Account

Things I'd like to see on a K30D
  1. bigger (3 inch) LCD screen with higher resolution
  2. brighter viewfinder
  3. better high ISO performance
  4. better low light focussing capability
  5. slightly smaller body

Thinks I hope we DON'T see
  1. More megapixels
  2. different sensor
  3. higher price
11-29-2008, 09:18 PM   #86

QuoteQuote:

2. brighter viewfinder
5. slightly smaller body

1. More megapixels
2. different sensor
3. higher price
brumby, I agree with you on almost everything but, I do not want to see the K30 body go smaller. I have a K100d and it's too small for my hands, plus the comfort level of the K20 w/grip is one of the driving forces to upgrading to a K20D in the next month or so.
11-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #87

[*]bigger (3 inch) LCD screen with higher resolution (Should be)[*]brighter viewfinder (i hope 100 % coverage too)[*]better high ISO performance (it's a must considering other brands' offers now)[*]better low light focussing capability (should be, based on feedback from K-m)[*]slightly smaller body (no perferences, but hope that they can allow the use of existing grip and allow us to use the ae-l as af)

I would like to add "high dynamic range" like film[/LIST]
  1. More megapixels (yes)
  2. different sensor (i don't know)
  3. higher price (of course)
11-30-2008, 06:14 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brumby Quote
  2. brighter viewfinder
  5. slightly smaller body

1. More megapixels
  2. different sensor
  3. higher price
I almost agree wiith your list for wants....except, I think the viewfinder is bright as it is, and the bodu ain't getting any smaller. I would like better AF tracking, as in AF-C.

I don't mind seeing more megapixels (don't need it though, even less is fine), different sensor (would love it if it can better the iso performance and dyamic range of the K20D by even sacrificing the megapixel count), higher price upto $1,500 ids fine with me.

The K20D is severly lacking in the current market. I don't even need the K20D, as I am happy with the K10D, but one has to be honest with it.....
11-30-2008, 06:58 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I almost agree wiith your list for wants....except, I think the viewfinder is bright as it is, and the bodu ain't getting any smaller. I would like better AF tracking, as in AF-C.
As long as Pentax stays with the Pentaprism I am fine with the brightness but +1 on adding predictive autofocus.

I don't mind seeing more megapixels (don't need it though, even less is fine), different sensor (would love it if it can better the iso performance and dyamic range of the K20D by even sacrificing the megapixel count), higher price upto $1,500 ids fine with me.
Athough I don't need more megapixels, going to less, unless for some sheer technical reasons or to add a must have feature is a step backwards.

The K20D is severly lacking in the current market. I don't even need the K20D, as I am happy with the K10D, but one has to be honest with it.....
I guess it depends on where you are coming from. I skipped over the K10D and yawned when it was released, but the K20D was a major step forward. Then I came from the Samsung GX-1S (6.1 mp).
12-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #90

Better high-ISO, improved dynamic range and enhanced AF are where I hope they concentrate their efforts. Certainly no pressing need for more MP, and I see no sense at all in confusing the public with a third sensor size. Hopefully a FF pro camera is at least on the preliminary drawing board...