Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #91
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stan8331 Quote
Better high-ISO, improved dynamic range and enhanced AF are where I hope they concentrate their efforts. Certainly no pressing need for more MP, and I see no sense at all in confusing the public with a third sensor size. Hopefully a FF pro camera is at least on the preliminary drawing board...
Agree with that!..

Just wondering how they can improve the AF?

I'd like the built in focusing screen to be a split image already so i would not need to buy a katz eye.

12-02-2008, 10:52 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax AF system is good, but it's not the best. If they could speed it up a bit and improve low-light performance, it'd be gravy.
12-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #93
Veteran Member

I have no qualms on the accuracy of the AF, it's just the speed that could use a boost of speed. I can't wait til they update it!
12-04-2008, 03:40 AM   #94

QuoteOriginally posted by stan8331 Quote
Better high-ISO, improved dynamic range and enhanced AF are where I hope they concentrate their efforts. Certainly no pressing need for more MP, and I see no sense at all in confusing the public with a third sensor size. Hopefully a FF pro camera is at least on the preliminary drawing board...
Yes... I think we are seeing the limit of what is possible with the small sensors. A bigger but not full frame sensor makes no sense to me.

I would like to see a FF Pentax camera to make full use of my lenses, otherwise sooner or later I will have to defect to a 5D or similar... you simply can't beat the advantages of having a larger sensor that collects more light.

12-05-2008, 07:15 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that if Pentax announced (and supported that by actual deed) that they significantly improved the quality control of their assembly lines, it'd be the best news in a very long time from Pentax.

After that they can go and introduce new bodies and lenses, but Pentax, please hear me and improve your QC.
12-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #96
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
I think that if Pentax announced (and supported that by actual deed) that they significantly improved the quality control of their assembly lines, it'd be the best news in a very long time from Pentax.
Not to disagree with your point. Just to mention, there's no reason a company would "wait" for a show to announce something like that.
QuoteQuote:
"Pentax is proud to announce that from exactly such & such date forward our lens buyers will no longer be rolling the dice as to whether they will be plagued by receiving a lens with front/back focus or de-centering problems... all prior purchasers are SOL!"
... hahahaha ... I'm "in essence" waiting for something like that to buy a DA* 50-135 ... but that announcement is not going to happen.

Last edited by m8o; 12-05-2008 at 09:11 AM.
12-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Given the fact that Nikon is using Sony's 24Mpx sensor for their D3x, it is possible that Pentax will have also access to it. (That would lower the price per unit for Sony)

Even if Samsung recently denied it in spite of older comments, it is likely that Samsung is developing its own FF sensor (a 30Mpx + sensor of the same density of their 14Mpx CMOS ?)

So a FF for end of 2009 is possible, but because of lack of FF zooms, I wouldn't say it is likely.

Best regards,
Guillaume

12-05-2008, 02:33 PM   #98
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Given the fact that Nikon is using Sony's 24Mpx sensor for their D3x, it is possible that Pentax will have also access to it. (That would lower the price per unit for Sony)

Even if Samsung recently denied it in spite of older comments, it is likely that Samsung is developing its own FF sensor (a 30Mpx + sensor of the same density of their 14Mpx CMOS ?)

So a FF for end of 2009 is possible, but because of lack of FF zooms, I wouldn't say it is likely.

Best regards,
Guillaume
Maybe, remember Pentax has always be late in the game because there was an exclusivity deal between Sony and Nikon during which others (Pentax included) would NOT access the sensor.
12-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #99
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote

Best regards,
Guillaume
Some of the FA lenses are still in production or available. The D FA macro lenses are full frame as well. Some of the DA* lenses such as the 200mm and 300mm would be available as well. The following would make a pretty good core of lenses for a FF 24mp camera. You are right about no good zoom, however several of the FA* zooms are available new.

FA 31mm ltd
FA 43 ltd
FA 77 ltd

FA 50mm

D FA 50mm macro
D FA 100mm macro

DA* 200mm
DA* 300mm
12-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Some of the FA lenses are still in production or available. The D FA macro lenses are full frame as well. Some of the DA* lenses such as the 200mm and 300mm would be available as well. The following would make a pretty good core of lenses for a FF 24mp camera. You are right about no good zoom, however several of the FA* zooms are available new.

FA 31mm ltd
FA 43 ltd
FA 77 ltd

FA 50mm

D FA 50mm macro
D FA 100mm macro

DA* 200mm
DA* 300mm
and FA35/2
12-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Full Frame K Mount for $8,000

A couple Nikon forums i read the prospective buyers of D3x are flipping out over $8,000 issue. Kind of strange as canon has launched 3 pro bodies at $8,000 and then they drift downward. Right now last years $8k can be bought new for $6,649 at B&H.

If Pentax makes the Holy Grail full frame K Mount, spec'd like Canon 1Ds III and Nikons 5 frames per second D3x 24mp would most people on this forum buy it?

I shoot both Pentax and Canon and I find the Nikon D700 ful frame 12mp price drop to $2379 , down from $3k this spring at B&H rather appealing. But I am able to cobble/adapt my nikon glass on to Canon 5D and stop down meter. A added step that saves me an additional $2379.

I'd guess if pentax offered a full frame 12mp for $3k it would fly off the shelves, right? If pentax offered a 24mp full frame for $8k very few here or anywhere would buy it? Just my guess.

What do you think? $3K versus $8K would either price points make it a Must Have?

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Maybe, remember Pentax has always be late in the game because there was an exclusivity deal between Sony and Nikon during which others (Pentax included) would NOT access the sensor.
12-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #102
Veteran Member

About the Nikon using the Sony sensor, that's a bit misinformed. Nikon designs their own top-end sensors (like the 12mp FF in the D3) and sources them to a relatively unkown (to us) company to fabricate. Their use of their own exclusive sensors in their top-end cameras is a matter of pride to them, and they have stated that their sensor is not the same as that used in the sony. Also, the pixel-pitch of the Nikon sensor has been stated to be different than the Sony's (smaller, surprisingly enough).
12-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
The Pentax AF system is good, but it's not the best. If they could speed it up a bit and improve low-light performance, it'd be gravy.
Sorry to disagree. The performance of both low light focusing and AF tracking is just bad on the K10D. The k20D might be a shade better from what I've read but not that much better. My Sony A700 blows my K10D away in these areas.
12-06-2008, 12:33 AM   #104
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
A700 is more expensive than K10D and K20D.
I had A300 which AF is not worse than A700.
To say honest, A300's AF is not better than K200D in low-light. It's just a bit faster in day-light.
12-06-2008, 01:51 AM   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
A couple Nikon forums i read the prospective buyers of D3x are flipping out over $8,000 issue. Kind of strange as canon has launched 3 pro bodies at $8,000 and then they drift downward. Right now last years $8k can be bought new for $6,649 at B&H.

If Pentax makes the Holy Grail full frame K Mount, spec'd like Canon 1Ds III and Nikons 5 frames per second D3x 24mp would most people on this forum buy it?

I shoot both Pentax and Canon and I find the Nikon D700 ful frame 12mp price drop to $2379 , down from $3k this spring at B&H rather appealing. But I am able to cobble/adapt my nikon glass on to Canon 5D and stop down meter. A added step that saves me an additional $2379.

I'd guess if pentax offered a full frame 12mp for $3k it would fly off the shelves, right? If pentax offered a 24mp full frame for $8k very few here or anywhere would buy it? Just my guess.

What do you think? $3K versus $8K would either price points make it a Must Have?
Neither is appealing. I'd be much more interested in a 21mp full frame camera for $2000 or so - thats how much the Nikon 5D mark II will be once the initial stocks have sold...

Last edited by leok; 12-06-2008 at 01:52 AM. Reason: tpying