Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Love to have you visit. Our mountains don't match yours but the lobster fishing is a very colorful sight. Take a look at my pbase site listed in the footer. I'd be more than happy to show you around.
Ken
Great! Likewise, our door's open if you're in the neighbourhood. You might be disappointed about the mountains here though They're more like fjells. i.e. quite gently sloping and not so high (caused by a couple ice ages that grinded the landscape). What we do have in abundance, though, are lakes, streams, bogs and boreal forests.

12-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #197
Forum Member

Form factor...

Ok, so you say the chip are much better these days, and yes anyone can glue an asic onto the main board, but what about an aerial for the device? I know they could do an internal dipole, but there's lots of 'buzzing' electronics going on in there so they would need to shield it some how, all of which will require space, unless I'm wrong, and if they don't have the space maybe it won't receive too well and not awfully accurate?

I suppose all I'm saying is :- Is it worth doing badly just to say you've got it? Or are they better to resize the thing, increase the size, or shrink the internals to make a proper job.
12-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NewRsoul Quote
Ok, so you say the chip are much better these days, and yes anyone can glue an asic onto the main board, but what about an aerial for the device? I know they could do an internal dipole, but there's lots of 'buzzing' electronics going on in there so they would need to shield it some how, all of which will require space, unless I'm wrong, and if they don't have the space maybe it won't receive too well and not awfully accurate?

I suppose all I'm saying is :- Is it worth doing badly just to say you've got it? Or are they better to resize the thing, increase the size, or shrink the internals to make a proper job.
I'm not sure but maybe one could use the pop-up flash and join the aerial with that? That way shielding maybe wouldn't be a big problem. But I agree, there's no use doing things badly / for marketing reasons so I'm hoping they get it right.
12-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #199
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
For less than a grip you can buy a great stand alone GPS unit.
And have to sync later instead of direct EXIF tagging ? You may want but I do not.

12-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
And have to sync later instead of direct EXIF tagging ? You may want but I do not.
I agree. I don't want to sync later nor do I want a grip attached to the body. We all have our own needs/wants. Heck, I don't even want to carry the extra GPS unit. Ideally for me it will be in the body and it won't increase the size either.
12-16-2008, 04:10 AM   #201
Veteran Member

Let me add a comment from somebody who geotaggs all his photos (me ):

PRO (for doing it in the body):
+ It comes for free (the chip is ~2.5x2.5mm only and the extra cost is marginal - USD1.20 - Infineon BGM681L11).
+ Every future device larger than a watch will have GPS.
+ It is nice if every photo has some geo tag in the Exif (except for the iPhone where Europe gets mapped into the Atlantic Ocean, thanks Steve, for still not fixing it).

CONTRA:
- Even if it is GPS-A, such chips will be switched off with the device and the position after activation (read: when you press the shutter from sleep mode) will be very coarse. In real life, you won't be able to know which building you shot on a city walk.
- It does not geo log
- I still need to use GeoSetter.de to sync Exifs in order to get real world location names into the Exifs (so, I can search for Paris later on).

And because putting my geologger into my photo bag is a routine for me which wouldn't change with a K20D GPS edition, I decided to totally ignore the issue. My geologger is MUCH smaller than a grip, always accurate (10m) and always there (because it goes to sleep mode if the photo bag doesn't move -- it has a vibration sensor to switch on again it recharges as a side effect of syncing my Exifs via USB).
12-16-2008, 08:33 AM   #202
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
+ It comes for free (the chip is ~2.5x2.5mm only and the extra cost is marginal - USD1.20 - Infineon BGM681L11).
It may be free for the manufacturer, but the end-user will pay for the feature.

12-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #203
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by denisv Quote
It may be free for the manufacturer, but the end-user will pay for the feature.
Well, you may ask for a manual focus body and lens to try cutting a couple dollars off
as well (it wouldn't btw but that's a different story).

What about the guys who wants FF but not high speed? Don't you think they do pay for it when they buy current FF cameras? But they just needed about 2fps. Tooo bad, really they got screwed didn't they ?
12-16-2008, 11:01 AM   #204
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Well, you may ask for a manual focus body
Nikon is way ahead of Pentax there...

Something that would be useful though is an AF assist lamp in the body. I wonder why only Nikon has that? Some sort of patent issue?
12-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #205
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by denisv Quote
Nikon is way ahead of Pentax there...

Something that would be useful though is an AF assist lamp in the body. I wonder why only Nikon has that? Some sort of patent issue?
I have one on my Sigma SD-14. The light is very bright. Better than flash assist.
01-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #206
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It seems to me K300D is on the way.

Officially Pentax has several FA fixed lenses which can work at APS-H sensor -
have a look
FA20-35 = 26-45 mm
FA31 = 40 mm at APS-H
FA35 = 45 mm
FA50 = 65 mm
FA77 = 100 mm

not bad...

Last edited by ogl; 01-09-2009 at 11:32 AM.
01-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #207
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

have a look
FA20-35 = 26-45 mm
FA31 = 40 mm at APS-H
FA35 = 45 mm
FA50 = 65 mm
FA77 = 100 mm

not bad...

as long as its not too big and heavy im all for it. I think an APS-H sensor (especially if its a samsung) will rocket Pentax into the limelight. so many people overlook the K20D's sensor because its APS-C despite how good it is. I dont think Pentax needs a FF sensor or an APS-H for that matter but if thast what they want to do I will be happy about it. I think the one thing Pentax is trying to avoid (other than alienating its APS-C users) is a larger heavier camera. I still dont see it happening because of the DA lenses but who knows.
01-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #208
Veteran Member

have a look
FA20-35 = 26-45 mm
FA31 = 40 mm at APS-H
FA35 = 45 mm
FA50 = 65 mm
FA77 = 100 mm

not bad...
Pentax also have lenses that will fit an FF:
FA35 = 35mm
FA50 = 50mm
and so on...

APS-H is the least probable rumor yet imo.
01-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #209
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Of course. Rumor.
But I think that APS-H is not bad idea as I thought before...
APS-H can offer low noise, close to FF. If Pentax can offer such camera for USD1300-1500 it could be very cool.

K20D is good work, but camera is not such succesfull as K10D. Alas...
To make upgrade of K20D under name K30D is not enough. IMO.

Last edited by ogl; 01-09-2009 at 11:54 AM.
01-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #210
Banned

Of course. Rumor.
But I think that APS-H is not bad idea as I thought before...
APS-H can offer low noise, close to FF. If Pentax can offer such camera for USD1300-1500 it could be very cool.

I agree. I think Pentax has been rather clear about not doing a FF sensor in the near future and a APS-H would be very close to it in a lot of respects. I also don't think its a very credible rumor, and I dont expect to see it on the next released bodies but it could be a smart move for Pentax.

QuoteQuote:
To make upgrade of K20D under name K30D is not enough. IMO.
that is the most likely possibility.