Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #241
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The thing about being "King of the Hill" is that eventually, someone knocks the King off unless his name is Elvis or Jimmie Morrison.
aha, and that is why it is always better not to aspire to be on the top, right... good soldier always wants to be a general... bad soldier counts his days till discharge.

01-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #242
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
aha, and that is why it is always better not to aspire to be on the top, right... good soldier always wants to be a general... bad soldier counts his days till discharge.
not even close. and I bet just about all NCO's would take severe offense to that.
01-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #243
Banned

The thing about being "King of the Hill" is that eventually, someone knocks the King off unless his name is Elvis or Jimmie Morrison.
*Jim* Morrison or if you want to be really proper *James*. I don't know who this jimmie morrison is.
01-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #244
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, photographers are never 'Kings.' The sooner anyone, including camera companies, learns that, the happier they'll be, and the better the photos, too.

I mean, the thing about people defining themselves by what brand makes enough dumbed-down stuff to take the loss on 'pro' cameras they take a loss on to sell more dumbed-down cameras is...

If you love photography, you may well want to turn 'pro.' If you make it, you're lucky if the first paycheck arrives before you're working to be *not* pro again.

Filthy lucre can in fact soil things.

It's not like on TV: it's a job everyone thinks they can do, but always has a complaint for. They think life is like on TV and all you have to do is hit 'pause' on the pre-packeaged video life they think they're having. You can't live (or even break even' on expecting a camera to be your infallible 'pause' button.

The old adage, 'F8 and be there,' may not work so well, especially with digital, but if you can't 'be there' the rest doesn't matter.

Good tech does good things, but it's no good to you if either *you* aren't there, or *it* ain't there.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-09-2009 at 03:49 PM.
01-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #245
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
and canons way of doing things speaks volumes about itself. FD anyone?
When P will outsell C we can get back to this question.
01-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #246
Banned

When P will outsell C we can get back to this question.
you are so missing the point. whatever.
01-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #247
Site Supporter

*Jim* Morrison or if you want to be really proper *James*. I don't know who this jimmie morrison is.
The Lizard King.

01-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #248
Veteran Member

ha! a lot less than you might be thinking.
comparing w/ Pentax ? a lot more... certainly the ratio is not like sales of K20D to sales of 450D

PS: I did not count all people w/ 40D and 50/1.8 there, just in case if you have any illusions about that.
01-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #249
Veteran Member

Me: "I can't make money on their present gear."

it is your problem... a lot of people apparently can.

Ain't *my* problem, I'm shooting Pentax and unsupported FD's.

You got a problem, *you* go Canon.

And maybe that's where things cheese me off. If *I* had five grand to spend every two years, to improve my photo profitability, I wouldn't be spending it on geekery.

I'd spend it on decent doctors.

Get me there. Give me Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Minolta, or *Seagull,* I'll find a way.

I like nice things as much as anyone, but it doesn't count for a damn if you aren't there. With the skills. Talk like this all seems to be based on forgetting that.
01-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #250
Banned

comparing w/ Pentax ? a lot more... certainly the ratio is not like sales of K20D to sales of 450D

PS: I did not count all people w/ 40D and 50/1.8 there, just in case if you have any illusions about that.
no need to compare to Pentax. what does Pentax have to do with it? a lot less people than you think can actually afford to use canon gear and make a steady living. a large percentage of 'pro' shooters that use canon use company owned or Canon 'rented' lenses. that's not to say that they do not own their own equipment but the percentage of those who do are much smaller. let us not forget that Canon made itself big by giving away millions in equipment during the 80's & 90's to 'pro' photogs mostly in the sports segment. their 'pro' support program is HUGE. one can rent canon lenses from canon and many other places, sometimes free of charge.
01-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #251
Banned

The Lizard King.

That would also be acceptable.
01-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #252
Veteran Member

"Originally Posted by deejjjaaaa View Post

comparing w/ Pentax ? a lot more... certainly the ratio is not like sales of K20D to sales of 450D "

I find it amusing that people compare my K20 here to 5ds and D300s on performance, and Rebels and D40s on sales.

Someone must be doing something right.
01-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #253
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

I find it amusing that people compare my K20 here to 5ds and D300s on performance, and Rebels and D40s on sales.

Someone must be doing something right.
I believe you would find that in the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" aisle. Try the 4th floor.

Lizard Kings and peanut butter and banana sandwiches aside, if you don't have glass, you can't sell cameras. Unless Pentax has some new FF lenses hidden away (FA ltds don't count - they are "old tech"), there will be no FF body announced. It really is that simple. That being said Panasonic pumped out the G1 with only two lenses for it, but there are adapters already out to mount tons of legacy glass.

Face it...the reality is there are people here who desperately want Pentax to fail (for whatever reason). Some live to complain, and thrive on negative energy. I seem to remember a Star Trek episode about that....everybody, GROUP HUG!!!
01-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #254
Veteran Member

let us not forget that Canon made itself big by giving away millions in equipment during the 80's & 90's to 'pro' photogs mostly in the sports segment. their 'pro' support program is HUGE. one can rent canon lenses from canon and many other places, sometimes free of charge.
Let's not forget there's nothing *wrong* with this.

Not that *I* got any such notorious bennies, but this is just the kind of thing maybe Pentax is being criticized for *not* doing. If I'm on a paying job, you can't *pay* me to use something that's gonna make me not get the shot.

May as well save the film and not go.

What's a company gonna do, say, 'Pretty please invest a quarter your house's value in our stuff, wear our flag, and if something goes wrong with a ten thousand dollar lens, we'll say, 'You should be making enough money to have a spare fast 600?'

Feh. I say that's perfectly fair play if you want 'pros' to take a chance on your new thing. Better than hiring celebrities to swan around with your compacts, anyway.
01-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #255
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I believe you would find that in the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" aisle. Try the 4th floor.

Lizard Kings and peanut butter and banana sandwiches aside, if you don't have glass, you can't sell cameras. Unless Pentax has some new FF lenses hidden away (FA ltds don't count - they are "old tech"), there will be no FF body announced. It really is that simple. That being said Panasonic pumped out the G1 with only two lenses for it, but there are adapters already out to mount tons of legacy glass.

Face it...the reality is there are people here who desperately want Pentax to fail (for whatever reason). Some live to complain, and thrive on negative energy. I seem to remember a Star Trek episode about that....everybody, GROUP HUG!!!
Haha! Don't look at me, man, I got no use for full frame, myself, till someone makes a good fast 85 that doesn't cost a year's austerity. (Frankly, I'd be more cheesed at Nikon for *not* managing to put out such a basic thing properly after I bought a D700, than I could ever be at Pentax for making me a K20d... If in the future, I can afford *Nikonian* frustrations after this little adventure in bootstrapping... I think it'd be hard to be mad at Pentax.

But, it's the Internet.