Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 70 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2020, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
$1000+!!!! I would rather buy an iPhone 11 Pro at this price point. Ricoh has the price all wrong.
No, maybe the Iphone 11 Pro is grossly over priced for a cell phone that can take snap shots.

06-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
No, maybe the Iphone 11 Pro is grossly over priced for a cell phone that can take snap shots.
Developing all that automagic software to squeeze decent photos out of tiny sensors and tinier lenses is very expensive. The main difference between a 400€ and a 900€ phone is the camera and, if you're lucky, a slightly better CPU and screen.

The nature of phones also means that, for example, a K-7 has a better control layout than a K-S2 (for an in-brand example) and features not found in the entry-level camera despite IQ and performance being better in the newer camera because of the tech improvements, a flagship phone more or less gets superceded by a mid-tier unit the year after and by an entry-level phone within 3 years, give or take. There's nothing that a Samsung Galaxy Swhatever number does that a phone released three years later for a quarter of the price doesn't do better. It's a bit different with iPhones because they don't really release "entry-level" phones.
06-14-2020, 12:55 PM - 2 Likes   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Developing all that automagic software to squeeze decent photos out of tiny sensors and tinier lenses is very expensive. The main difference between a 400€ and a 900€ phone is the camera and, if you're lucky, a slightly better CPU and screen.

The nature of phones also means that, for example, a K-7 has a better control layout than a K-S2 (for an in-brand example) and features not found in the entry-level camera despite IQ and performance being better in the newer camera because of the tech improvements, a flagship phone more or less gets superceded by a mid-tier unit the year after and by an entry-level phone within 3 years, give or take. There's nothing that a Samsung Galaxy Swhatever number does that a phone released three years later for a quarter of the price doesn't do better. It's a bit different with iPhones because they don't really release "entry-level" phones.
My point is Iphones and other smartphones are disposable consumer communications goods, Obsolete in a year or so when the "Next Big Thing" comes along for the "took this with my Iphone or Galaxy S whatever" selfie crowd. As for entry level Iphones, yeah I have an entry level SE 2020 paid nothing for it because of a special deal from my carrier the only reason I got it was more system memory versus my old 4 yr old LG K8. The utility of the smart phone for me is communication, I fail to see the value in smart phones except for communications and documenting a few things. But that's just me.

Last edited by Larrymc; 06-14-2020 at 01:03 PM.
06-14-2020, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
My point is Iphones and other smartphones are disposable consumer communications goods, Obsolete in a year or so when the "Next Big Thing" comes along for the "took this with my Iphone or S whatever" selfie crowd. As for entry level Iphones, yeah I have an entry level SE 2020 paid nothing for it because of a special deal from my carrier the only reason I got it was more system memory versus my old 4 yr old LG K8. The utility of the smart phone for me is communication, I fail to see the value in smart phones except for communications and documenting a few things. But that's just me.
Ah, sure, I agree with you on a personal level (150€ Nokia 7.1 here ). I use it for calls, Whatsapp, music and some Internet surfing so anything above that price level is useless to me. I just wanted to elaborate a bit on the "why" . I have to admit that I do see the point in "mid-tier" phones which have better processors and stuff in case you actively work on them, but beyond that... camera features. And for the cost of an iPhone 11 might as well get a GRiii plus a phone that phones

Regarding the iPhone I know about the SE2020 but it's early to say if it's a one-off thing (or a two-off I guess), that's why I didn't bring it up . It actually has very good specs for the price so I'd be interested in seeing whether there's a "gotcha" apart from the camera.

06-14-2020, 01:24 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me iPhone is something that is imperative in carrying out tasks for my day job. Without a smartphone I cannot function. Even if my work does not subsidize the cost of my phone I would still spend that much buying it, because it makes my life so much easier, and it just so happens that it takes pretty good pictures too.

Photography is an expensive hobby, but the market exists because people are willing to pay the prices manufacturers are asking. Supply and demand are such that the prices of these cameras are dictated by the market force. Most of us don't shoot for a living, and still somehow justifying the spending. That being said, I would have to say that to pay that much for a point and shoot does stop me in my track, no matter how awesome. Mind you - it only takes pictures and that's it.
06-14-2020, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
For me iPhone is something that is imperative in carrying out tasks for my day job. Without a smartphone I cannot function. Even if my work does not subsidize the cost of my phone I would still spend that much buying it, because it makes my life so much easier, and it just so happens that it takes pretty good pictures too.

Photography is an expensive hobby, but the market exists because people are willing to pay the prices manufacturers are asking. Supply and demand are such that the prices of these cameras are dictated by the market force. Most of us don't shoot for a living, and still somehow justifying the spending. That being said, I would have to say that to pay that much for a point and shoot does stop me in my track, no matter how awesome. Mind you - it only takes pictures and that's it.
but it does have "APS" sensor - phone sensor is typically 1/2.5" - which is less than 1/3 in each dimension.
06-14-2020, 03:31 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This isn't the camera for you.

There are wealthy collectors who like these sort of items and the additional revenue they generate for Ricoh helps the brand keep going. This isn't the first "special" camera with a different finish/color scheme they've released and I think they know what they are doing.
The main features of a camera are related to image quality, , UI, usability, etc, etc. and not how it looks and what is the color of its body etc. If I have to pay a price for its appearance, we are missing the point here.

06-14-2020, 03:45 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The main features of a camera are related to image quality, , UI, usability, etc, etc. and not how it looks and what is the color of its body etc. If I have to pay a price for its appearance, we are missing the point here.
But you aren't paying more.

Ricoh GRiii is 900
GV-2 Viewfinder is 250
Ricoh GS-2 Strap is 25
One additional lens ring is another 25

So the Street Edition (1200) costs as much as the "normal" GRiii with the included accessories (B&H pricing as of today). You have to buy in a bundle, of course.

Honestly, if I were in the market today for a GRiii, I'd consider getting the Street Edition, or waiting until it comes out without the accessories (as I don't think I'd need the viewfinder and it's VERY expensive). But then again, I have a silver 77 .
06-14-2020, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

Are we?
Pentax has often produced a "collectors" version - most of them go to collectors in Japan.
For them - according to reputation - it may be all about how it looks and what is the color of the body.
06-14-2020, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But you aren't paying more.

Ricoh GRiii is 900
GV-2 Viewfinder is 250
Ricoh GS-2 Strap is 25
One additional lens ring is another 25

So the Street Edition (1200) costs as much as the "normal" GRiii with the included accessories (B&H pricing as of today). You have to buy in a bundle, of course.

Honestly, if I were in the market today for a GRiii, I'd consider getting the Street Edition, or waiting until it comes out without the accessories (as I don't think I'd need the viewfinder and it's VERY expensive). But then again, I have a silver 77 .
100% agreed. I tried the GR III and still prefer the K1-II with my MIJ golden trio any day.

Last edited by manishved; 06-14-2020 at 11:09 PM.
06-15-2020, 08:52 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wait until you see the price of a K-1...
I own multiple K1-II and a 645z
06-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #72
Pentaxian

So what?
For a special edition, this GR III isn't expensive - the regular body being $900, and you get another battery, another ring, a viewfinder and a strap. At 3500 units worldwide, it should sell quickly.
Do you have a good reason why Ricoh Imaging should be denied the money?
06-15-2020, 09:08 AM - 3 Likes   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The point was that good cameras are expensive (and any FF camera is a much higher investment)- the GR iii is 900 bucks because it's diminutive and many people are very much willing to pay the price (the GR iii's sales being one of the biggest reasons why Pentax cameras are still in development at Ricoh Imaging despite its "wrong price"). The Special Edition looks amazing and I'm sure a lot of people will be happy to get it.

Personally, if I have to pay 1100€ I'd much rather have a 900€ GRiii and a 300€ phone than a 1200€ iPhone.
06-15-2020, 09:26 AM - 2 Likes   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
So what?
For a special edition, this GR III isn't expensive - the regular body being $900, and you get another battery, another ring, a viewfinder and a strap. At 3500 units worldwide, it should sell quickly.
Do you have a good reason why Ricoh Imaging should be denied the money?
Where are you finding an indication that there is "another battery"? You've mentioned this twice but I have not seen any information from Ricoh that this is so.

GR III Street Edition - Ricoh

QuoteQuote:
Box Contents:
GR III SE Camera Body
GV-2 Special Edition View Finder
Leather Special Edition Wrist Strap
Limited Edition Yellow-Orange Lens Ring
Black Lens Ring
Rechargeable Battery DB-110
USB Power Adapter
Power Plug
USB Cable I-USB166
06-15-2020, 09:46 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Where are you finding an indication that there is "another battery"? You've mentioned this twice but I have not seen any information from Ricoh that this is so.
You know, you're right! There's no mention of a second battery on Ricoh Imaging's website - although there were some references e.g. on the "rumor" site.
My bad for not verifying; I'm getting sloppy!