Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2020, 04:22 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Oh, that would be very cool. Probably not since the camera is already so small though... but people can dream, no?
Yep, I'm a dreamer.

06-10-2020, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Japanese road paint is white AFAIK. European as well - here yellow/orange (not sure how to call the specific colour) is reserved for "under construction" signals and the colour of the road markings is actually part of the traffic code. India as far as I recall also uses white.
In Norway yellow(ish) paint is used to divide lanes with traffic in opposite directions. White on sidemarkings and to divide lanes with traffic in one direction (and I don't mean the boy band ).

Last edited by deus ursus; 06-10-2020 at 05:13 AM.
06-10-2020, 04:52 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
Obviously the colours are inspired by asphalt and street paint
I thought they were inspired by my favourite website.
06-10-2020, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
In Norway yellow(ish) paint is used to divide lanes with traffic in opposite directions. White on sidemarkings and to divide lanes with traffic in one direction (and I don't mean the boy band ).
Huh, I didn't know that. I'm used to the double white line.

Speaking of boy bands, can we call this the GRiii Back Street Boys edition?

06-10-2020, 06:38 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's an interesting look, not one that appeals greatly to me, I have to say, but I'm sure Ricoh know their market. On that point, it's a bit odd for a 'street' camera to draw attention to itself, which the ring does a bit, but at least it's not red or yellow or whatever all over
06-10-2020, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Like it very much, personnaly.
06-10-2020, 06:57 AM   #22
Forum Member

I'm intrigued to see how this develops -- selling my FA 31 to fund the GRIII was one of the best (and hardest) photography decisions I've made.

If they were to add more presets (like with the KP special) it would be nice if these were sold as accessories too, paid for selective firmware upgrades perhaps?

06-10-2020, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

"(Update) The contents of "GR III Street Edition Special Limited Kit" are GR III (Street Edition), Finder GV-2 (Street Edition), 2 batteries, hand strap GS-2 (Street Edition), ring cap (orange/ It will be yellow). The mass retailer price is 145,800 yen including tax. Limited to 3,500 units worldwide, scheduled to be released on July 17."
?GR III Street Edition Special Limited Kit???? [????] - ????info
06-10-2020, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So it's roughly the same price as a GRiii + finder + accessories in Germany (1200€ either way). No "kit" discount, but also no special edition surcharge! It's a fair deal if you like the new colour scheme.
06-10-2020, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Well, the GR III is by many considered as a camera which is excellent for street photography, So "Special Street Edition" is more to the point to celebrate the fact that it is used adn bought by many as a street camera. You can ask yourself the same question about the limited lenses, after all, they are just lenses, so 40mm F2.8 should suffice.
I don't think you quite get my point. It's not that they've chosen a special name for a special release but rather that they've managed to tack on nearly every possible
superlative they could think of. Thus my observation that "Special Street Edition" would be a suitable concatenation of "Street Edition Special Limited Kit", and would be
a whole lot easier to say and remember besides.

It's notable you should bring up Ricoh's use of the word "Limited". In the case of the lens line, "Limited" denotes a design philosophy of less is more. The 40/2.8 might
have very well been a 40/1.7 or some such, but it's design was >limited< in order to focus on the barest essentials to bring forth an extreme pancake lens while offering
exceptional rendering. On the other hand, this GR III special edition is merely 'limited' in the sense that will be available for only a limited time and in limited quantities.
The term is aptly included in the lens name, (even if it's usage is confusing), whereas it is redundant on the GR III Special Edition.
06-10-2020, 09:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
First picture of the GR III Street Edition Special Limited Kit, courtesy of Nokishita Camera :

Twitter
It's interesting that they've made the "Special Street Edition" less stealthy than the original.
06-10-2020, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
It's interesting that they've made the "Special Street Edition" less stealthy than the original.
It's clearly because it has "street cred"
06-10-2020, 12:29 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
They sure know how to string together a cumbersome product name. Shouldn't _GR III Special Street Edition_ be enough tosay what it is?
Some one is getting paid by the word, LOL!

---------- Post added 06-10-20 at 12:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
First picture of the GR III Street Edition Special Limited Kit, courtesy of Nokishita Camera :

Twitter
Hmmm... not inspiring. I can get a red, grey, blue or green ring for my GRIII on Amazon for $15 but I'm not inspired by those either. One of the reasons I got a GRIII was because it is a innocuous and stealthy camera. If I wanted to advertise, I'd of bought the Fuji x100f.
06-10-2020, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Announced. $1,199.95.

GR III Street Edition - Ricoh

Last edited by Mistral75; 06-10-2020 at 03:09 PM.
06-10-2020, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to the official Ricoh page, a second battery will not be included, contrary to previous information.

Also, a black ring will be included for the wallflower types.

Edit: The name of the camera seems to be "GR III Street Edition" and is being provided in the "Special Limited Kit". In a few months we may see the camera available without the "Special Limited Kit".