Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2020, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by birder Quote
I have never updated my firmware for the K3. If I update to this latest one, do I need to go back and install previous updates or does this one do it all?
No need for that - the latest update always contains all the previous changes as well

06-21-2020, 06:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

They are all included in one update.
06-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have never updated my firmware for the K3. If I update to this latest one, do I need to go back and install previous updates or does this one do it all?
Thats strange you have never done a firmware update and you have a 55-300 PLM. Has your K-3 been working with the PLM one of the updates was supposed to give you electronic aperture control over the PLM which has a KAF4 mount. Prior to doing the firmware update have you been able to change the (AV, M and TAV) aperture setting when using the PLM lens?? Did you buy your K-3 new or was it purchased used? Just curious.
06-21-2020, 09:07 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote

It was the DCIM deal
Yeah, it has to be to the root directory, the bottom of the tree. Just the card itself, not any folder inside it.

That DCIM folder was still there because you did not format the card as the instructions said!

A format beforehand also checks that the file system is consistent, you definitely don't want a problem with the new firmware being read after the old one's been wiped from the camera, just like you don't want the batteries to give out.

Glad it worked out.

Last edited by clackers; 06-21-2020 at 11:05 PM.
06-21-2020, 10:35 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Those firmware updates are cumulative. That is, the latest will include all previous ones, so no need to worry. Just make sure that you have a fully-charged battery in the camera when you install it, as an interruption of the process could cause serious damage.

Oops, Sandy and mysterick beat me to it. Sorry for the redundancy.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 06-21-2020 at 10:40 PM.
06-22-2020, 05:44 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, it has to be to the root directory, the bottom of the tree. Just the card itself, not any folder inside it.

That DCIM folder was still there because you did not format the card as the instructions said!

A format beforehand also checks that the file system is consistent, you definitely don't want a problem with the new firmware being read after the old one's been wiped from the camera, just like you don't want the batteries to give out.

Glad it worked out.
Ian, even when the card is formatted in camera, like it should be, the format leaves a fresh empty DCIM folder as well as system volume information.
06-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Larry mc, I enjoyed your Flickr pages! (My DCIM didn't disappear after I formatted a few times. I just ignored it and placed the new file on the K-3 file[?] )

06-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
Larry mc, I enjoyed your Flickr pages! (My DCIM didn't disappear after I formatted a few times. I just ignored it and placed the new file on the K-3 file[?] )
Thanks, Mysterick

Glad you liked my Flickr selections! DCIM stands for Digital Camera Image, that's where your camera stores images written to the SD card. Each time you format the card in camera the formatting will wipe out the old DCIM folder and write a new one along with the system information. You placed the firmware update correctly in the root directory.........works so much better when done that way.

Last edited by Larrymc; 06-22-2020 at 02:00 PM.
06-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Ian, even when the card is formatted in camera, like it should be, the format leaves a fresh empty DCIM folder as well as system volume information.
Oh, I actually format my SD card in my PC before these upgrades before I transfer the file to it, its routines will cover more eventualities about the card. No DCIM folder gets created.

Last edited by clackers; 06-23-2020 at 04:39 PM.
06-26-2020, 04:28 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
No need for that - the latest update always contains all the previous changes as well
Thank you very much 😊
06-26-2020, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Oh, I actually format my SD card in my PC before these upgrades before I transfer the file to it, its routines will cover more eventualities about the card. No DCIM folder gets created.
I had always heard that cameras were a bit finicky with what was used to format their cards so I was about to state the same thing that Larrymc said about formatting in the camera. My K-1 update went well after a battery change in the grip. I guess better safe than sorry is a Pentax motto also!
06-26-2020, 08:25 AM   #42
Pentaxian

I updated my K-1 II today. When I started to do it the first time, the screen told me I did not have enough battery power to update. I am so glad I received that message instead of the update only going part way through and possibly disabling the camera. I replaced the battery with one with more power, and the update was completed successfully instead of having a problem. So I am very happy!

I took some shots and everything worked fine. As always the images are fantastic using my Pentax 70-200. I checked my firmware screen and it said 1.05, so I am all set.

Good luck with your updates everyone, and enjoy.
06-26-2020, 09:14 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I had always heard that cameras were a bit finicky with what was used to format their cards so I was about to state the same thing that Larrymc said about formatting in the camera. My K-1 update went well after a battery change in the grip. I guess better safe than sorry is a Pentax motto also!
Yeah, everything I've read says its advisable to format in camera rather than a Mac or PC format. But, everyone has an opinion about this stuff as for me I format after each copy operation to my computer when I replace the card back in the camera.
06-26-2020, 11:54 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Another explanation re. the lack of DFA* primes FW updates for K-3II and KP : the AF sensors would be of different "types" and therefore not necessitating updates.
I must say this explanation doesn't convince me fully because KP has already got DFA*50 update...
06-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Another explanation re. the lack of DFA* primes FW updates for K-3II and KP : the AF sensors would be of different "types" and therefore not necessitating updates.
I must say this explanation doesn't convince me fully because KP has already got DFA*50 update...
My explanation is that there was some bug with the older K-1, K-1 II and K-3 firmware.
A single byte in a certain memory location would suffice. Or a slightly different code/revision. Or a very minor hardware component. Or pretty much anything.