Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 380 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2020, 05:39 AM   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevwaly Quote
This is good but probably too little too late. I bought three K50s for a school photography class. ALL THREE were toast within the first semester. I’m sure Ricoh knew there were big probs with that line of cameras.
I am not sure at all. My K-30 lasted about three years before I had any problems at all - by then I had purchased a FA 28-105mn that works fine by setting aperture at the lens. I still use the K-30 + FA combination occasionally, especially with flash {I’ve never had a reason to use the KP in that setting}.

07-08-2020, 06:03 AM   #182
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is good but probably too little too late. I bought three K50s for a school photography class. ALL THREE were toast within the first semester. I’m sure Ricoh knew there were big probs with that line of cameras.
Did you get them repaired under warranty or was the school considered a commercial entity and excluded from a warranty repair?
07-08-2020, 08:35 AM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Failures in three out of three cameras would certainly be unfortunate and disappointing -- even one would be annoying. I hope the photo program was not seriously disrupted.

However, it's not clear to me that your cameras' failures would suggest that Ricoh certainly knew of the problem with the K-50 line specifically at that time. Did you communicate with Ricoh, or send your gear in for repair?

On another point of clarification, did you also experience failures in several K-70's, as indicated in an earlier post, or is "K-50" a typo? (I recalled your post in that earlier thread, as it seemed most unfortunate that 3 out of 3 cameras would suffer the same failure at roughly the same time.) I don't doubt that there were failures, and appreciate your circumstance, but it would be useful to confirm which model was affected in your case.

Thanks.

What are the odds that if I were to buy THREE K70s for my school and ALL of them develop aperture block before 5000 shutter count? For me, the odds were 3\3. (100%) K70 =garbage!!!
- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 07-08-2020 at 09:47 AM.
07-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #184
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Did you get them repaired under warranty or was the school considered a commercial entity and excluded from a warranty repair?
Such a thing in EU would get hell of attention. Mostly because most schools are public.

07-08-2020, 09:02 AM - 2 Likes   #185
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You have had amazing bad luck with Pentax cameras. Three of three K-50s for your school and then three of three donated K-70s that also developed aperture block failure.

K70 aperture block? - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

Steve
07-09-2020, 12:19 AM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I still was happy with K30 I recommended 2 other persons - one was my brother in law- to buy a k50. They both regret listening to me
07-09-2020, 12:34 AM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niels hansen Quote
When I still was happy with K30 I recommended 2 other persons - one was my brother in law- to buy a k50. They both regret listening to me
That is too bad. I do not regret purchasing a K-30 - it served me well for 3-1/2 years as an inexpensive primary camera, and even with the aperture-control not working, I have gotten 1-1/2 years of service {with the FA 28-105} backing up my KP.

07-09-2020, 04:31 AM   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niels hansen Quote
I recommended the K-50 to my sister, and while my K-30 failed hers is still working fine. But every time I see her with it I hope this isn't the day it goes dark frame and she probably just shifts to using her phone. Or I get to fix it.
07-09-2020, 07:11 AM   #189
Pentaxian

The nice thing about this going before the courts is, hopefully we finally get an informed judgement on the presence of malfeasance by Pentax. I'm amazed at how adamant the "Pentax did something wrong " side is.

It's easy for people like me. I always buy the "toughest" option, and given the number of accidental drops I've had, I'm sure that has saved me a lot of money, I have no horse in the race, but those who have been affected are never going to stop. I understand that. Ask me about the Sigma 120-400 and I'll tell you all about it. We tend to hang onto these negative experiences. It's a bad thing for Pentax that just keeps getting worse.

Last edited by normhead; 07-09-2020 at 07:24 AM.
07-09-2020, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #190
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm not so sure the 'Pentax did wrong' is as shared opinion as much as you think, Norm.
Pentax may (most probably) did not know that supid solenoid would get back at them.

But they should have acknowledged IMO. Same for that supid SDM fiasco.
The SDM fiasco is such because they did not acknowledged anything.
If they, did e.g. ackknowledged the problem concerning 16-50 and 50-135 and only those, stating onther lenses were unaffected this forum would have been much more silent.
ANd repuation of other SDM lenses wouldn't be so bad (and they don't deserve this).
07-09-2020, 09:43 AM   #191
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I understand that. Ask me about the Sigma 120-400 and I'll tell you all about it. We tend to hang onto these negative experiences. It's a bad thing for Pentax that just keeps getting worse.
Personally, I just switch to camera that still works .... and keep taking pictures. For example, I had a Canon Rebel processor fail in the Fall 2013, so I purchased another one; eighteen months later the processor in that one failed also .... which is when I purchased the K-30. The aperture control of it failed three years later, but I had purchased the FA 28-105 lens for it, and sometimes I still use it in ‘M’ mode.
07-09-2020, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #192
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm amazed at how adamant the "Pentax did something wrong " side is.
I sometimes feel that way too, but a lot depends on how "wronged" a person feels and how easily feelings of righteous indignation are provoked. There are people who regularly contribute to threads on this topic, but who have zero flesh in the game and use very strong accusations against Hoya/Ricoh/Pentax when they post (almost identical content each time) on the topic. That, I do not understand. Others who invested both money and emotion in having an excellent tool for their craft are understandably upset at even the memory of the loss.

Steve
07-09-2020, 10:16 AM   #193

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I know the feeling.

Yes, she is partially negligent; yet, as a result, very wealthy.
She nearly died. And she was willing to settle for out of pocket medical expenses.
07-11-2020, 07:37 AM   #194
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did have 1.5 failures. The K30 out of warranty is now an m42 camera and I'm pretty happy about that. The K50 was fixed in warranty, but when I was waiting the months it took for the repair to come back I picked up a used K5iis. I'm grateful for that too in that it is entirely reliable even after being hard used by the first owner and I like the handling and results better. Did I mention that they managed to disconnect the green button on the K50 and I didn't notice it until too late. The K50 started acting up again and now out of warranty I did the shutter blast technique (not approved, don't try this at home) and got it working again, but in the long term I may convert it into an Contax mount as there are a number of unLeitaxable lenses that are available. I've pretty much made up my mind to only buy flagship models in the future as Pentax let the aperture problem linger too long and then took way too long to fix the K50 under warranty and then broke something else. A used K1 Mark 1 is the likely next target. It would be great to see how my full frame lenses work on a K1.
07-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi.
I have repaired several k-s2, k-30, k-50, it is just another solinoid, the white one.
It is not so difficult if you have the solinoid and some tools.
I am so lucky that I have some white solinoid, you can find them in older Pentax cameras.
So, why not try to repair your own camera.