Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 380 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by erikro Quote
Hi.
I have repaired several k-s2, k-30, k-50, it is just another solinoid, the white one.
It is not so difficult if you have the solinoid and some tools.
I am so lucky that I have some white solinoid, you can find them in older Pentax cameras.
So, why not try to repair your own camera.
This depends entirely on your inclinations.
A new K-70 or KP is so inexpensive, and each gives the benefit of higher graceful ISO performance, so I just use my K-30 with the FA 28-105 I purchased and then purchased a KP to get that bonus of higher graceful ISO performance,

07-11-2020, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #197
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This depends entirely on your inclinations.
A new K-70 or KP is so inexpensive, and each gives the benefit of higher graceful ISO performance, so I just use my K-30 with the FA 28-105 I purchased and then purchased a KP to get that bonus of higher graceful ISO performance,
I have noticeable hand shake when trying to steady my hands. Heavy cameras help me have steadier hands, and SR is awesome. I've ruined more computers than I actually successfully repaired. I don't do that anymore. My current mindset is "buy apples, buy the configuration you need, leave it alone." Most of the kids I trained in my media class where for while we built our own computers were better half way through the course than I was. It's not for every body. I knew what to do, I needed the kids to be able to do it.

Last edited by normhead; 07-11-2020 at 02:10 PM.
07-12-2020, 05:06 PM - 4 Likes   #198
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
A used K1 Mark 1 is the likely next target. It would be great to see how my full frame lenses work on a K1.
Your lenses will love you for doing this.
07-29-2020, 11:48 AM   #199

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Failures in three out of three cameras would certainly be unfortunate and disappointing -- even one would be annoying. I hope the photo program was not seriously disrupted.

However, it's not clear to me that your cameras' failures would suggest that Ricoh certainly knew of the problem with the K-50 line specifically at that time. Did you communicate with Ricoh, or send your gear in for repair?

On another point of clarification, did you also experience failures in several K-70's, as indicated in an earlier post, or is "K-50" a typo? (I recalled your post in that earlier thread, as it seemed most unfortunate that 3 out of 3 cameras would suffer the same failure at roughly the same time.) I don't doubt that there were failures, and appreciate your circumstance, but it would be useful to confirm which model was affected in your case.

Thanks.

- Craig
Sorry just saw this! It was K50s NOT K70s. Thanks for catching that!

10-14-2020, 12:55 AM   #200
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No news on this lawsuit ?
10-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #201
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Assuming the courts are willing to hear it, the outcome could be a year or more away. I would not hold my breath. I suspect there will be no hearing due to the accused being in the business of office equipment and not cameras.

Steve
10-14-2020, 08:42 AM   #202
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
If you read the complaint, that's not surprising.

10-14-2020, 05:47 PM - 3 Likes   #203
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I agree, it's terrible that it's come to this. If the judge finds Ricoh did nothing knowing about the fault, we all pay more for Pentax products in the future to make up the loss. Or Ricoh gets sick and tired of being in a declining consumer camera market and exits it, concentrating on industrial imaging.

It's perhaps fortunate for Ricoh, but unfortunate for a lot of our members, that owners who purchased prior to 2014, and models like the K-500, K-S1 and K-S2 would receive nothing at all. They have been left out of the plaintiff's filing.
How is that different from Leica's action on failing sensors? The world has become too litigious and it is time to stop ridiculous tort cases.
10-15-2020, 02:44 AM   #204
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These sorts of things move very slowly. If you get 10 dollar coupon off of a new flash in the year 2030, that would be about right.
10-15-2020, 03:52 AM   #205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
How is that different from Leica's action on failing sensors? The world has become too litigious and it is time to stop ridiculous tort cases.
It depends on how you define ridiculous. Some might say a $800 camera failing after a small fraction of its rated lifecycle might be worth some compensation, some might say the proper response is to never buy that brand again, some might say it sucks to be you and you get nothing and you should expect that.
10-15-2020, 04:22 AM - 2 Likes   #206
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
It depends on how you define ridiculous.
You should read post #8.
10-15-2020, 05:02 AM   #207
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You should read post #8.
I have. And it may be that this particular case isn't going to be successful. But I was responding to a post that said ridiculous suits need to stop in general. Ridiculous is in the eye of the beholder.
10-15-2020, 05:07 AM   #208
Pentaxian

It depends on how you define ridiculous. Some might say a $800 camera failing after a small fraction of its rated lifecycle might be worth some compensation, some might say the proper response is to never buy that brand again, some might say it sucks to be you and you get nothing and you should expect that.
You mean ‘rated lifecycle of shutter’? Each part has some kind of rated lifecycle, but people focus on the shutter’s. Nothing is built like Holmes’s “One Hoss Shay”, where everything failed at once. As I have commented several times already, I had two Canon Rebels in a row fail having processor failure; I am one of those guys who just dropped the brand - which is why I am here now; at least my K-30 is still usable {using lenses with aperture rings}.
10-15-2020, 05:10 AM   #209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have. And it may be that this particular case isn't going to be successful. But I was responding to a post that said ridiculous suits need to stop in general. Ridiculous is in the eye of the beholder.
it is ridiculous for everyone outside North America....
10-15-2020, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You mean ‘rated lifecycle of shutter’? Each part has some kind of rated lifecycle, but people focus on the shutter’s. Nothing is built like Holmes’s “One Hoss Shay”, where everything failed at once. As I have commented several times already, I had two Canon Rebels in a row fail having processor failure; I am one of those guys who just dropped the brand - which is why I am here now; at least my K-30 is still usable {using lenses with aperture rings}.
Yes, shutter. It's good that you've found a way to use your failed camera, but most people would not be pleased with a major function that they use every day not working after a few thousand actuations. I know you weren't.

I find it a little odd or perhaps ironic that my solution to a failed K-30 and sending it on three trips to various repair companies over three months and paying hundreds of dollars was to buy another Pentax. If it happened today I might not be so charitable to the company. The lesson Ricoh took from us was if the customer's camera breaks that's fine they'll just buy another Pentax to replace it.