Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2020, 06:26 AM   #256
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
From a company's standpoint, their goal is to get a product out of the warranty period with minimal warranty claims. Particularly on entry level products, like those mentioned here, controlling costs is paramount and so having longer warranties is unusual. I bought a K-S1 for my daughter for 300 dollars. It failed a couple of years after purchase and I had it fixed. But adding years on to the 1 year warranty would by necessity increase the selling price for that camera.
Pentax has said in recent years, that from their standpoint, the purpose of their cameras is for users to “have fun”. It seems to me that this Dark Image thing gets in the way of that; we shall how they respond in the future.

10-20-2020, 07:24 AM   #257
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Pentax has said in recent years, that from their standpoint, the purpose of their cameras is for users to “have fun”. It seems to me that this Dark Image thing gets in the way of that; we shall how they respond in the future.
What they say and what they do are two separate things. I always thought SDM should have been treated more seriously by them. The same with aperture block failures. But I just sort of think that for a small company, operating with tight margins, they aren't going to be quick to identify issues that happen 6 to 8 months out of warranty period.
10-21-2020, 10:21 AM   #258
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Another thought I had was when the cameras were tested for durability (assuming that is a thing?) they were probably shot in bursts up to the 100k mark but the problem of the aperture block failing seems to be related to less usage, which is why it would have been hard to discover this in testing?
10-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #259
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Another thought I had was when the cameras were tested for durability (assuming that is a thing?) they were probably shot in bursts up to the 100k mark but the problem of the aperture block failing seems to be related to less usage, which is why it would have been hard to discover this in testing?
Yes, this seems to be more of a calendar time issue than a usage thing per-se.

11-09-2020, 05:58 AM   #260
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, this seems to be more of a calendar time issue than a usage thing per-se.
So it’s nothing to do with non usage? It’s just the wrath of time??? Some people have expressed their concerns about shutters going bad after a certain period of non usage...
11-09-2020, 06:20 AM   #261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mixalis_kalymnos1611 Quote
So it’s nothing to do with non usage? It’s just the wrath of time??? Some people have expressed their concerns about shutters going bad after a certain period of non usage...
I think its non usage over time rather than just a time factor. My K-50 still functions nicely after almost seven years but I do exercise it regularly.
11-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #262

What can be the responsibility for a non-warranty product. And with other manufacturers, sometimes 40,000 shutter operations fail, so what? Defective lenses, canon-hello. Don't like it, switch to another system. The situation is strange, but I can't say that I was very surprised.
11-14-2020, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #263
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
What can be the responsibility for a non-warranty product. And with other manufacturers, sometimes 40,000 shutter operations fail, so what? Defective lenses, canon-hello. Don't like it, switch to another system. The situation is strange, but I can't say that I was very surprised.
That others do other wrong things is no excuse for Pentax (in this case) to not handle it better.

There is a reason why there is mandatory warranty in many countries - precisely so that manufacturers cannot use the "don't like it, get something else" response. There is a reasonable expectation of things not breaking because of a known design issue.

11-14-2020, 03:21 PM   #264

I will try to be laconic. There is an opinion that the average person can afford a car, refrigerator, house, sofa, computer with monitor, camera ... Maybe you should think about why all these products have such a range of prices? When, before buying, I try to understand the product, I understand that I have to take it for a high price, or it is better not to take it at all, or not to have illusions. This applies to everything, such is the world in my opinion. Pentax fights for survival in the same way as everyone else.
11-14-2020, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #265
Pentaxian

As some of us here said, the problem started to come out after some time. It didn't come up instantly. That's why the faulty solenoid was still in use on the later models. Now that the problem has been identified. Pentax should avoid this type of aperture control system. The way I see it, when others (non-pentax) will know about it, the more they'll avoid the brand. Most people like me would like to avoid problems in the future.
11-14-2020, 04:58 PM   #266
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will try to be laconic. There is an opinion that the average person can afford a car, refrigerator, house, sofa, computer with monitor, camera ... Maybe you should think about why all these products have such a range of prices? When, before buying, I try to understand the product, I understand that I have to take it for a high price, or it is better not to take it at all, or not to have illusions. This applies to everything, such is the world in my opinion. Pentax fights for survival in the same way as everyone else.
I will repeat myself: just because something happens or even is common does not make it right. I could go on a rant about Vimes' "Boots theory of socioeconomic unfairness" and the impact of low quality, ephemeral goods, but that's a topic for never.
11-15-2020, 04:51 AM   #267

Well, you really don't need to argue. It is enough to read the forum to understand that one problem has been eliminated, another will appear. Pentax is not an icon, a agency is not a temple, it cannot be somehow special. We just love something, we endure something ...

---------- Post added 11-15-20 at 04:57 AM ----------

Of course, when equipment breaks down, this is bad and generates mistrust, and if you work further you need to eliminate defects, but this is ideal. Unfortunately, business success is sometimes not in the quality of the product.
11-15-2020, 05:02 AM   #268
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
The way I see it, when others (non-pentax) will know about it, the more they'll avoid the brand. Most people like me would like to avoid problems in the future.
By switching to failing IS modules, dying systems, rootkits...
11-15-2020, 05:19 AM   #269
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, you really don't need to argue. It is enough to read the forum to understand that one problem has been eliminated, another will appear. Pentax is not an icon, a agency is not a temple, it cannot be somehow special. We just love something, we endure something ...
Which problem do you believe has “been eliminated”?
11-15-2020, 05:30 AM   #270

In this case, it is an image. Not tied to something specific.

---------- Post added 11-15-20 at 05:32 AM ----------

I understand that it is better to bypass some topics so as not to make enemies for yourself. I have allowed myself too much.