Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 380 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2020, 07:22 PM   #391
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by mirceattl Quote
Having owned the K-x, I could not say the shutter sound bothered me a bit.
That was the only complaint I had about it.

12-20-2020, 07:42 PM   #392
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
That was the only complaint I had about it.
I had no actual complaints about the K-x, I upgraded to the K70 for the higher pixel count, and I had a GAS attack.
12-21-2020, 07:01 AM   #393
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The KX and Pentax 67 made more noise than the mechanical cameras, such as K1000 and those made by Practika??
The K-r is very loud too. Reliable, but loud.

My 7500 shutter count K-30 had the aperture block failure. I made up my mind to only buy used Pentax DSLRS after that. Bought the K-30 and Ricoh wouldn’t do diddle for me because it was out of warranty.
12-21-2020, 07:31 AM   #394
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
The K-r is very loud too. Reliable, but loud.

My 7500 shutter count K-30 had the aperture block failure. I made up my mind to only buy used Pentax DSLRS after that. Bought the K-30 and Ricoh wouldn’t do diddle for me because it was out of warranty.
My K-30 also developed what I call Dark Image Syndrome”, beginning with a shutter count around 3000. I didn’t expect any ‘help’ from the company - just as I hadn’t expected anything from Canon before them when my Rebel had processor problems at even a smaller count {and less than two years}. I tossed my Rebel and purchased the K-30. In the case of the K-30, the body was still usable when I got an “FA” lens, and I still use it sometimes. The problem here is that the solenoids don’t “age” well - buying used is even more risky than buying new - so I decided not to have solenoid-based aperture-control again; I skipped Adam’s K-70 give-away but participate in the KP give-away.

12-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #395

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My K-30 also developed what I call Dark Image Syndrome”, beginning with a shutter count around 3000. I didn’t expect any ‘help’ from the company - just as I hadn’t expected anything from Canon before them when my Rebel had processor problems at even a smaller count {and less than two years}. I tossed my Rebel and purchased the K-30. In the case of the K-30, the body was still usable when I got an “FA” lens, and I still use it sometimes. The problem here is that the solenoids don’t “age” well - buying used is even more risky than buying new - so I decided not to have solenoid-based aperture-control again; I skipped Adam’s K-70 give-away but participate in the KP give-away.
Sorry about your K-30 issue and I agree that buying used is a lottery... Good luck with the KP giveaway!
01-14-2021, 08:12 AM   #396

Any chance for free replacement program? (I have two K50s with the solenoid not working correctly...)
01-14-2021, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #397
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kamilbaranski Quote
Any chance for free replacement program? (I have two K50s with the solenoid not working correctly...)
The actual parts, if you can DIY are less than $50 and your camera is fixed! My K-70 failed just under 5k shutter count and the diaphragm controller cost was around $28!

01-14-2021, 09:47 AM   #398

Are the original parts available to buy? My country distributor makes me ask the official service and the official service says they don't sell the original parts, they can only sell it with the repair service. The original part isn't needed when it comes to solenoid (probably). But I also broke the SD card cover in K70 and I don't know how to get the original part (the official service says the piece of plastic and metal will cost me >$70).
01-14-2021, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #399
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
The actual parts, if you can DIY are less than $50 and your camera is fixed! My K-70 failed just under 5k shutter count and the diaphragm controller cost was around $28!
Some of us would prefer not to do the work - and that is beside the point.
They should not fail, even if the parts were almost free.
A person who spends money for a product should be able to assume a reasonable useful lifetime without repairs.

Last edited by reh321; 01-14-2021 at 10:03 AM.
01-14-2021, 09:58 AM   #400

Hi

I had the same black image problem on my k30. I bought new camera k3.
After few year decided to do DIY fix. I grinded with small file the horseshoe part of the solenoid.
Now my k30 works fine, all ready for a year.
01-14-2021, 11:13 AM   #401
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Are the original parts available to buy? My country distributor makes me ask the official service and the official service says they don't sell the original parts, they can only sell it with the repair service. The original part isn't needed when it comes to solenoid (probably). But I also broke the SD card cover in K70 and I don't know how to get the original part (the official service says the piece of plastic and metal will cost me >$70).
It many markets, Pentax no longer sells parts to consumers. The alternative would be to either use a donor body, import the parts, or find an independent parts supplier. I'm sure some folks on the forum will have recommendations on where to get them.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-14-2021, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #402
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ra1do Quote
Hi

I had the same black image problem on my k30. I bought new camera k3.
After few year decided to do DIY fix. I grinded with small file the horseshoe part of the solenoid.
Now my k30 works fine, all ready for a year.
I repeat: Some of us would prefer not to do the work - and the fact that I could repair it is beside the point.
A camera body should not fail, even if the parts were almost free.
A person who spends money for a product should be able to assume a reasonable useful lifetime without repairs.

Our first Saturn {automobile} did need major repairs - twice on warranty, once on a trip.
They did provide a replacement vehicle, but even that was an inconvenience.
01-15-2021, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #403
Pentaxian

I think if Harly motorcycles didn't breakdown there would be a lawsuit. Repairing it is a feature.
01-15-2021, 11:53 PM   #404
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For what it is worth....my K-30 did develop the problem and using the service at PC35, which apparently involves grinding, fixed it and it has stayed fixed for over a year.

For me, it was an easy process and well worth the $100.
01-16-2021, 01:32 AM   #405
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlmartidale Quote
For what it is worth....my K-30 did develop the problem and using the service at PC35, which apparently involves grinding, fixed it and it has stayed fixed for over a year.

For me, it was an easy process and well worth the $100.
I'd advice this adress only in emergency, the way how particular they "grind the plunger" is very bad:

Check this thread for further details:
Solenoid problem return plus sound - PentaxForums.com

and carefully study:
Why you shouldn't file/sand the plunger of the green Chinasolenoid but replace it - PentaxForums.com

The only recommended repair is that way:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/385045-manual-solen...id-choice.html

------------------------------
Depends what you mean with original part!

The original original part was the solenoid made in Japan and that is no longer in production.
History about this you can study here:
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com

So they do need actually the "original original part" (made in Japan) which is not available new anymore!

So the official repairplaces have to resort to the "original part" (made in China) or... as at least one place in Germany does it,
resort to edging the plunger, the best "manipulative way" I have come across.

That a official service charges US$ 70 for a part, that costs used $ 13 directly from Aliexpress, China

is a bit high. The ones sold on ebay (google Solenoid + Pentax) are all cheaper versions made for Lenovo DVD drives and burners
(open/close drawer), they lack the side pins.
But on ebay is the real (genuine) original offered, made for ALPS etc:
Pentax K-30 K-50 K-70 K-S1/S2 K-500 Genuine White Solenoid Part - Japan - | eBay

On ebay Germany you actually can find NOS (new old stock) ones:
Japan Solenoid Blendensteuerung Pentax K30 50 500, K-S2, S1, K70 in Saarbrücken - Saarbrücken-Mitte | eBay Kleinanzeigen

but this makes sense only if you live in Europe (or outside USA)
and one has to registerer there, i.e. everything is in Germany only.

Ebay-Kleinanzeigen looks like ebay but has nothing in common with it!

Last edited by photogem; 01-16-2021 at 01:51 AM.