Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2020, 12:11 PM   #361
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I was about to say.....Typical Yugo....., but I knew what you meant. 60,000 miles is the sort of longevity typical of 60s through 80s automobiles.
I personally know of several vehicles during that time period that went to 100K miles and more. I drove a few of them. I've had a few since then that went for well over 100K, also.

11-22-2020, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #362
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I personally know of several vehicles during that time period that went to 100K miles and more. I drove a few of them. I've had a few since then that went for well over 100K, also.
My first car, a 1966 Dodge Dart, lasted over 150K miles, partly because I had a patient wife and we had a good mechanic,
but the point is that a K-70 shouldn't require that type of work.
11-22-2020, 12:53 PM   #363
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a 93 Dodge Ram 50 (Mitsubishi Might Max) with 278,000 miles on it and still running nicely, can't say its strong because it never was a power house. But the little truck is still doing well. I have replaced the timing belt four times and the electric fuel pump once and done routine maintenance.
11-22-2020, 02:44 PM   #364
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to inform you Craig but they went out of business long before mine went to the scrap heap.
Thanks for updating my misunderstanding!

Seems you got pretty good value from the car -- purchase price and repairs amortized at about $1K per year if I read correctly. A new Toyota RAV4 would need to run for at least 25 years to match that value.

- Craig

11-22-2020, 03:35 PM   #365
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Me too...my mom's 1978 Buick Regal has over 300,000 miles and is still running fine.

Steve
11-22-2020, 05:58 PM   #366
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sort of like how they should have avoided it in every program exposure camera from the Super Program in 1983 to the K-r (last model prior to the K-30)
Steve, I think you're leaving out that the manufacture of the solenoids is thought to have changed from Japan (with a change in material used) beginning with the K-30.

There is no legal action about the aperture mechanism before then.
11-22-2020, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #367
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Steve, I think you're leaving out that the manufacture of the solenoids is thought to have changed from Japan (with a change in material used) beginning with the K-30.

There is no legal action about the aperture mechanism before then.
Well, for what it's worth, clackers, I had this same problem on both a K-r and a K-30. My understanding was that the problem began with the K-x, although the lawsuit may not begin there.

11-23-2020, 07:03 AM   #368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
Well, for what it's worth, clackers, I had this same problem on both a K-r and a K-30. My understanding was that the problem began with the K-x, although the lawsuit may not begin there.
I have two Pentax K-x cameras and have not had any problems with them. I have found them both to be very reliable and efficient. I only recently upgraded for higher pixel count.

Last edited by Photos-by-Chas; 11-23-2020 at 07:04 AM. Reason: typo
11-23-2020, 08:09 AM   #369

There have been a couple / few reports of aperture problems with the K-x on PF. It has not been confirmed if it is indeed the dark frame syndrome due to the solenoid. There have been a couple of reports on the German Pentaxians forum that the a green solenoid was found on both the aperture and flash assemblies.
11-23-2020, 03:01 PM   #370
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
I think you'll find the solenoid inside your K-r is white, the K-30 green, they're not the same.
11-24-2020, 05:16 AM   #371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Thanks for updating my misunderstanding!

Seems you got pretty good value from the car -- purchase price and repairs amortized at about $1K per year if I read correctly. A new Toyota RAV4 would need to run for at least 25 years to match that value.

- Craig
$5300 in 1988 is about the same as $12,000 today. That's cheaper than any new car available in the US. But you can get a Chevy Spark for $14k, and I'll assume it's dramatically better built and optioned than the '88 Yugo. The base Spark has Bluetooth connectivity and Apple Car Play/Android Auto! I wonder if the Yugo even had a radio?

---------- Post added 11-24-20 at 07:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Me too...my mom's 1978 Buick Regal has over 300,000 miles and is still running fine.

Steve
In the 1600s some people lived to 90 or 100, but a lot more died of the consumption at 38. 100k miles in the 1970s was a milestone, today you expect a car to get to 150k+ with little more than routine maintenance. We had a '09 Toyota Sienna and the maintenance schedule was literally just inspect stuff/change oil/change brake fluid until over 100k miles.
11-24-2020, 06:45 AM   #372
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
100k miles in the 1970s was a milestone, today you expect a car to get to 150k+ with little more than routine maintenance. We had a '09 Toyota Sienna and the maintenance schedule was literally just inspect stuff/change oil/change brake fluid until over 100k miles.
Agreed, but I do think you meant check/add brake fluid. Changing brake fluid is a pain in the butt.
11-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #373
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Agreed, but I do think you meant check/add brake fluid. Changing brake fluid is a pain in the butt.
I think most cars recommend flushing the brake fluid every 2-3 years. Some kinds are hygroscopic, gets moisture in the fluid and can rust out the brake lines. And it breaks down over time. I flushed my Audi's around a year or so ago. Not a huge deal, maybe a couple hours. The dealer wanted $hundreds and I did it for the cost of a bottle of fluid.
11-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #374
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I think most cars recommend flushing the brake fluid every 2-3 years. Some kinds are hygroscopic, gets moisture in the fluid and can rust out the brake lines. And it breaks down over time. I flushed my Audi's around a year or so ago. Not a huge deal, maybe a couple hours. The dealer wanted $hundreds and I did it for the cost of a bottle of fluid.
and a couple of hours of your time.

I used to say that my employers paid for my time so that I could pay others for their time.
Now that I have a bad back, my view definitely has not changed.
11-25-2020, 05:14 AM   #375

While interesting, all this car talk is way off topic. When off topic discussion goes on at this length it is a sign that the topical discussion has run its course. Ordinarily I would close the thread but since there is a raffle going on some leeway is given.

However, please keep the discussion on topic to the thread title.