Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2020, 06:20 AM - 5 Likes   #166
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Hijacking threads isn't necessarily trolling. Of the several hijacking incidences we've had lately a couple clearly were trolling, but some were more a case of person, or persons trying to brow-beat others into agreeing with their opinion.
Just as annoying and disruptive, but not really trolling.
Of course, that's just my opinion.
Sometimes it happens very innocently. One person post on topic but adds an additional comment that means something to them and perhaps not expecting anyone to respond to it.

Ex. "I love the pictures I'm seeing from the new DFA85. Amazingly clean. Really nice work with the sample photo. Gosh I wish I could afford one, just getting interested in maybe doing some outdoor portraiture so I guess I'll start saving. In the meantime I'll just use my 28-105 even tho the images are pretty bad in comparison"

Someone follows up responding to the 28-105 part of the post rather than the on-topic stuff and from there it gets rolling. There was no intention to hijack, it just happens. That's an instance where a mod need to step in gently and remind folks the discussion is about the DFA85. But if the mods don't see it....

Probably why Adam put out a call for a few more moderators.

07-07-2020, 06:23 AM - 6 Likes   #167
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Sometimes it happens very innocently.
I think that's the case the majority of the time.
07-07-2020, 06:28 AM - 2 Likes   #168
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Threads have a life of their own. Sometimes when a thread has been discussed to death and all relevant opinions have been expressed, they wander a bit (or more than bit) . It's just people winding down. And sometimes that winding down brings up other interesting areas of discussion. I've sometimes wished I had moderator control over my own threads to try and keep them focussed, but most of the time just letting the thread wander off to a natural death is the preferable way to go. We have a lot more fun that way.

Last edited by normhead; 07-07-2020 at 06:41 AM.
07-07-2020, 06:32 AM - 5 Likes   #169
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

A meandering path can be more interesting than a straight one. It's the ones that turn radically and head over a cliff that are the problem.

07-07-2020, 08:17 AM - 4 Likes   #170
Veteran Member

A meandering path can be more interesting than a straight one. It's the ones that turn radically and head over a cliff that are the problem.
I remember a few years back I was in a forum where the moderators were brutal in keeping the threads pinned down to exactly the topic they were started on. It was the most boring forum experience ever.

I can't tell you exactly the difference between organic thread drift and true hijacking, but I know it when I read it. Organic thread drift is good, hijacking is bad.
07-07-2020, 08:19 AM - 2 Likes   #171
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Since this is a camera forum and not one about hang gliding, I wholeheartedly agree...

-Eric

Last edited by TwoUptons; 07-07-2020 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Had to paste in the quote since I was too slow in my response...
07-07-2020, 08:24 AM - 2 Likes   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hijacking or Extended Discussion?

I find that one of the great things about Pentax Forums is the nature of useful and interesting comments and ideas. Although a thread may start on a focused specific topic, quite often other related ideas are constructively presented, especially if the thread has reached multiple pages. Frequently, when I think "Oh, I never thought of that approach or viewpoint," the thread has suddenly added to my knowledge or perspectives. I like that.

Another question is "What constitutes 'hijacking'"? A comment or contribution that may seem to be a hijack could also be seen as part of an interesting, extended discussion on the topic. For example, in a thread dedicated to a new lens, if someone says that they favour one of their other lenses for a particular reason, and several posts offer similar comments related to the new lens, would that be a hijacking? Perhaps not.

I find that I can sift through posts fairly easily, and overlook comments that I think don't contribute constructively to the general theme of a thread.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 07-07-2020 at 08:39 AM.
07-07-2020, 08:47 AM - 6 Likes   #173
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Another question is "What constitutes 'hijacking'"? A comment or contribution that may seem to be a hijack could also be seen as part of an interesting, extended discussion on the topic. For example, in a thread dedicated to a new lens, if someone says that they favour one of their other lenses for a particular reason, and several posts offer similar comments related to the new lens, would that be a hijacking? Perhaps not.
Hijacking is when a person wants to take a thread in a completely opposite direction. Otherwise starting a topic within an already established topic For instance, a thread dedicated to a new Pentax lens, and someone posts that their Canon/Nikon, etc., lens is much better. There's leeway in hijacking, some is quite innocent; but Moderators soon learn who definitely hijack on purpose, simply to destroy a thread.
07-07-2020, 09:16 AM - 3 Likes   #174
Pentaxian

I moderate another forum and my perception is that this community is amazing positive and supportive by comparison. I learn so much from more experienced photographers and other forum members. Thank you for what you do!

I have always been puzzled by how much Pentax lovers seem to be disappointed and angry with Pentax all of the time. I love my cameras and never think about switching. I've recently come to learn that Nikon people are convinced that Nikon is doomed, so maybe it's just part of being into camera gear or maybe its the state of the industry.

But, we're all people who value photography beyond cellphone snaps and point-and-shoot cameras and I'm glad for this community every time I log it. It's easy for me to tune out the occasional noise.
07-07-2020, 09:16 AM - 2 Likes   #175
Loyal Site Supporter

"What constitutes 'hijacking'"?
A deliberate and persistent movement away from the subject of the thread.
An off topic aside isn't a hijack, but if the aside garners interest, a new thread should be started rather than rudely polluting a current thread.

---------- Post added Jul 7th, 2020 at 10:21 AM ----------

if someone says that they favour one of their other lenses for a particular reason, and several posts offer similar comments related to the new lens, would that be a hijacking? Perhaps not.

- Craig
If the comment devolves into a comparative thread, for example, then it's a hijack. This happened to at least one thread discussing the new 70-210 lens. It plain and simply got hijacked into a thread about butchering a 60-250mm lens in an attempt to turn it into a full frame lens, to the point I simply walked away from the thread and determined to not enter into any discussion about the new lens (other than airing out my complaint regarding the hijack just now) because I expect that exactly the same thing will happen again.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 07-07-2020 at 09:23 AM.
07-07-2020, 09:38 AM   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If the comment devolves into a comparative thread, for example, then it's a hijack. This happened to at least one thread discussing the new 70-210 lens. It plain and simply got hijacked into a thread about butchering a 60-250mm lens
It is even more frustrating when someone has asked a question and I (and presumably they) am looking forward to an answer, but someone else derails the topic into something else, like you say. I have seen threads where the OP question is never answered and seems to have been entirely forgotten. Presumably the OPs (who can be new members) did not have the nerve or patience to remind people of the question, or to start a new thread to ask the question again.
07-07-2020, 09:40 AM - 4 Likes   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
I have always been puzzled by how much Pentax lovers seem to be disappointed and angry with Pentax all of the time. I love my cameras and never think about switching. I've recently come to learn that Nikon people are convinced that Nikon is doomed, so maybe it's just part of being into camera gear or maybe its the state of the industry.
In any group of people there are about 10% who truly and deeply believe that we're all doomed. The glass isn't half full or half empty, it's sitting there waiting to be smashed into a million jagged, dangerous shards.

It's not Pentax users, or Nikon users or photographers. It's people.
07-07-2020, 09:41 AM - 8 Likes   #178
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hijacking threads isn't necessarily trolling.
Context is every, eh? There is a certain long-running thread containing references to Inuit delicacies, cheese, the eminent imminent destruction of Tokyo, the Live HociR, and, more recently, pipers that started as a blatant troll with predictable results, but somewhere around page six was subtly hijacked by a group of dedicated cadre of imaginative budding satirists. By page 11 the word silly was applied. 5288 pages later, the hijack survives

Steve

(...sorry for the hijack...this thread deserves to remain serious...)
07-07-2020, 09:51 AM - 3 Likes   #179
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Hijacking is when a person wants to take a thread in a completely opposite direction.
By the way, any camera on this world without UHS-VII card slots is inacceptable low end to everyone and never a flagship. If you do not agree, I will explain why, again. And again.
07-07-2020, 09:57 AM - 3 Likes   #180
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Context is every, eh? There is a certain long-running thread containing references to Inuit delicacies, cheese, the eminent imminent destruction of Tokyo, the Live HociR, and, more recently, pipers that started as a blatant troll with predictable results, but somewhere around page six was subtly hijacked by a group of dedicated cadre of imaginative budding satirists. By page 11 the word silly was applied. 5288 pages later, the hijack survives

Steve

(...sorry for the hijack...this thread deserves to remain serious...)
Well yes, some threads do deserve to be hijacked, and are improved by doing so.