Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2020, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #286
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
P.S. This forum also features a most insidious punishment - the thread ban - which should be considered torture under any reasonable law. You see, once you get a thread ban, and someone posts something on that thread, it stays as "unread" - not matching the other treads! Aaaaarghhhh, the disorder!!!
Then you go off and do other things - like taking pictures. If you don't read, you never realize that you are not replying to the comment.

09-03-2020, 06:28 PM - 7 Likes   #287
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What they hope to accomplish is not a bad thing.
Maintaining a civil, respectful, non-combative, family friendly place for members to discuss photography is the only task we try to accomplish.

Adam refuses to allow bad behavio(u)r to happen in his " house," and that includes from his moderators.......................just sayin' .

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 09-03-2020 at 06:43 PM. Reason: typo
09-05-2020, 02:24 PM   #288

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
To the PF community:

I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy in these unprecedented times (please check out our statement on the coronavirus if you haven't already). Like many other businesses, the camera industry has also suffered in the past months (e.g., low camera sales figures and more recently, the sale of the Olympus camera division, etc.). Consequently, even though it would seem that Pentax is coping quite well in comparison, we've been observing a steady rise in negative sentiment toward the Pentax brand throughout the community, which in some cases has led to unpleasant confrontations in forum threads and difficult decisions by the moderators.

In line with my mission of Pentax Forums being a friendly and inclusive community for Pentax users, we are going to be taking a series of steps to help minimize these kinds of unpleasantries going forward.
  • We are seeking additional moderators across multiple time zones to ensure that fewer issues that require moderator attention slip through the cracks (please visit this thread if interested)
  • To the extent possible, we will take a proactive approach to help members avoid issues, rather than directly stepping in to act on problematic post/threads
  • We will provide a greater degree of transparency regarding moderator actions in cases where a member disagrees with a decision that was made, even if the decision itself is not reversed
  • We will gather additional feedback from the community: please feel free to share your ideas in this thread (the moderators will not comment on specific incidents however), or contact the moderators privately
  • Although constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged, we will continue to maintain a firm stance against any form of bullying, trolling, or personal attacks.
To the latter point, I'd like to reiterate this statement that the moderation team posted several months ago:

Thank you very much for your consideration, and - as always - many thanks for your valued contribution to the forums!
Skvěle napsáno. Děkuji. Pentax je pro nadšence, je to srdcová záležitost. Já jsem s Pentaxem naprosto spokojen. Objektivů je hodně, dají se používat stará a skvělá skla od r.1974. Nevadí mi, že nejsou pořád nové a nové věci od Pentaxu,nepotřebuji pořád nová skla a těla. To fotku nedělá. Staří mistři fotili s technikou, kterou spousta lidí ani nevidělo a jaké dokázali udělat fotky. To technika nenahradí. Buď vidím, nebo nevidím a nejnovější technika mě fotit nenaučí. Přece nemáme tuto značku na 1 rok. Mě je 60 let a Pentax mám pořád . Už velmi mnoho let. Komu se nelíbí, že nejsou pořád novinky, tak není nic jednoduššího, než přejít k jiné značce, ale nebudu kvůli tomu hanit Pentax. Je nás málo a jsem rád, že jsem v této malé komunitě. Pentax napořád a nikdy jinak.

English translation (via Google Translate):

Great written. Thank you. Pentax is for enthusiasts, it's a matter of the heart. I'm completely happy with Pentax. There are many lenses, you can use old and great glass since 1974. I don't mind that there aren't always new and new things from Pentax, I don't need new glasses and bodies all the time. It doesn't take a photo. The old masters took pictures with a technique that many people had not even seen and what photos they could take. This is not a substitute for technology. I either see or I don't see and the latest technique won't teach me to take pictures. We do not have this brand for 1 year. I'm 60 years old and I still have Pentax. For many years. If you don't like the fact that there is still no news, there is nothing easier than switching to another brand, but I will not insult the Pentax because of that. There are few of us and I'm glad I'm in this little community. Pentax forever and never otherwise.

Last edited by Not a Number; 09-05-2020 at 02:57 PM. Reason: English translation added
09-08-2020, 09:56 AM - 8 Likes   #289
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This site is very well moderated. Good moderating is never seen on the forums; rather in the background. Those that complain about moderating can always start & pay for their own site, and have the rules, or no rules that they desire. The other choice is simply to post within the rules of this privately owned site, and respect that you are in someone else's house, not yours.

Moderating is a thankless job; but so necessary, in order to keep a site enjoyable for all!

09-10-2020, 09:19 AM - 9 Likes   #290
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
It sounds harsh but very well put and true.
What is harsh about it? Would you allow someone to come into your home, be disrespectful, disruptive; and not address it?

I can tell you, this forum is one of the very best for friendliness, helpfulness, and all around fun to be on. This is credited to the majority of the members, but also to the moderating team, to address the other side of membership. Those that like to stir things up, disrupting a thread; being disrespectful, etc. This is Adam's home, so we all agreed when signing up, that we would wipe our feet at the front door before entering.
09-11-2020, 11:30 PM   #291

I just don't understand the worth of paying a monthly or yearly fee to this site. It's a bit of a dinosaur was probably built with a template way-back-when and that lacks what a lot of other features of modern forums.

09-12-2020, 12:21 AM - 4 Likes   #292
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
I just don't understand the worth of paying a monthly or yearly fee to this site.
You don't pay anything, and yet still get to use the Pentax Forums free of charge.
It's a bit of a dinosaur was probably built with a template way-back-when
Please feel free to start your own photography site.....................
and that lacks what a lot of other features of modern forums.
You and I will have to " agree to disagree " on this, as It is not lacking anything from my perspective......................

09-12-2020, 12:22 AM - 4 Likes   #293
Loyal Site Supporter

I just don't understand the worth of paying a monthly or yearly fee to this site. It's a bit of a dinosaur was probably built with a template way-back-when and that lacks what a lot of other features of modern forums.
Family can be like that sometimes, but it’s still family.
I’m sad for you that after spending 4 years lurking around here you don’t get that.
09-12-2020, 12:49 AM - 9 Likes   #294
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I just don't understand the worth of paying a monthly or yearly fee to this site
I am just a forum user, who finds this forum very useful in the hints, tips, reviews, ideas and discussions around the use of Pentax gear. Whilst there is no obligation to pay anything, I enjoy being part of this community, I find it helpful, and it has saved me a lot of mistakes and wasted money over the years. So I choose to contribute to do a small part in helping out with the costs, and to make sure it survives over time. That is my choice. My personal opinion - contributing is part of being in a community.
09-12-2020, 02:49 AM - 3 Likes   #295
Pentaxian

It's a bit of a dinosaur was probably built with a template way-back-when and that lacks what a lot of other features of modern forums.
Enlighten me, what features have you in mind?

I am on some other forums that don't even have pictures, so PF looks jazzy to me
09-12-2020, 02:51 AM - 5 Likes   #296

I much prefer forums such as this to social media sites. So if this is a dinosaur, I am happy to be among our prehistoric cousins.
09-12-2020, 04:12 AM - 6 Likes   #297
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's rather like contributing to a local community project, or paying dues to a club (albeit on a voluntary donation basis). There's no stigma in not donating, but if you (a) appreciate the value of this community (many of us do), (b) want to ensure there is motivation for the site owner - Adam - to continue paying significant hosting fees and investing many hours of his personal time maintaining and supporting the site (many of us do), and (c) can afford it (hopefully most of us can, given the suggested amounts and what we spend on equipment for our hobby), then a monthly or yearly donation is a great way to help... plus, it comes with benefits such as increased photo storage and access to the Marketplace

If you find no value in these forums, get little enjoyment from them, and don't support the existence of a thriving, brand-specific community and support network, then yes - it's difficult to justify a donation. Personally, if I had to choose between buying one more item of photography gear, or donating to this site, I'd pick the latter every time...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-12-2020 at 04:30 AM.
09-12-2020, 04:35 AM - 5 Likes   #298
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Regarding social media, participation and interaction on the PF site hosted on Facebook is much lower than it is here. I know I prefer this format for long term discussions, and I like how it is separated in categories, much easier to find what I am interested in, and much easier to ignore what I am not interested in.
09-12-2020, 05:37 AM - 6 Likes   #299
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

like many, perhaps most of us, I have no access to Pentax cameras or lenses or reliablie information about them excepy on line

these forums fulfill that need

the way it is set up -no payment needed, pay if you want to, pay more if you want to, can't be beat

in fact, if you can afford it and want to, you can pay for someone else as well

the information found here can't be beat

long may the Pentax forums survive

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-12-2020 at 12:22 PM.
09-12-2020, 06:00 AM - 6 Likes   #300
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Maintaining a civil, respectful, non-combative, family friendly place for members to discuss photography is the only task we try to accomplish.

Adam refuses to allow bad behavio(u)r to happen in his " house," and that includes from his moderators.......................just sayin' .
Now there's a brilliant example of a moderator being inclusive. Personally, I think they should step in more often to correct US spelling when it deviates from proper English