Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2020, 06:06 AM - 6 Likes   #301
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Now there's a brilliant example of a moderator being inclusive. Personally, I think they should step in more often to correct US spelling when it deviates from proper English
We try to help when we can.
BTW, you forgot the periods after the U, the S, and at the end of the second sentence.

09-12-2020, 06:07 AM   #302
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I think they should step in more often to correct US spelling when it deviates from proper English
09-12-2020, 08:01 AM - 7 Likes   #303
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
I just don't understand the worth of paying a monthly or yearly fee to this site. It's a bit of a dinosaur was probably built with a template way-back-when and that lacks what a lot of other features of modern forums.
Everyone is free to pay or not. I choose to pay to help Adam with the cost of this site, because I value it and him enough, that I don't want to see it go away!

Perhaps you can start your own site with "features of modern forums". Do you have any idea the cost of maintaining a site like this? I don't see any "features" lacking here that everyone is wanting. One thing about Adam, if a member requests something; if possible, he will consider implementing it. This site is more of a "family" site, not one of the super-duper new sites, that is cold and uncaring.
09-12-2020, 08:58 AM - 9 Likes   #304
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Regarding social media, participation and interaction on the PF site hosted on Facebook is much lower than it is here. I know I prefer this format for long term discussions, and I like how it is separated in categories, much easier to find what I am interested in, and much easier to ignore what I am not interested in.
Participating in a Facebook group means becoming part of something akin to the Borg Collective. So far I have managed to avoid drinking Zuckerberg's Kool-aid. Social media is anything but social.
Facebook is especially toxic.

09-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #305
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Participating in a Facebook group means becoming part of something akin to the Borg Collective. So far I have managed to avoid drinking Zuckerberg's Kool-aid. Social media is anything but social.
Facebook is especially toxic.
The real problem with FB is security.

Our older daughter - a professional librarian - made a list of information they keep about users that they really don't need {things like name of computer used to access them}.
09-12-2020, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #306
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
I just don't understand the worth of paying a monthly or yearly fee to this site. It's a bit of a dinosaur was probably built with a template way-back-when and that lacks what a lot of other features of modern forums.
But it also has features that other forums lack.
For example, I quickly found this post by tracing backwards from a post that referenced it, something that is not easily done at other forums.
You can support this site or not - that is your choice.
09-12-2020, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #307
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
. . . One thing about Adam, if a member requests something; if possible, he will consider implementing it. This site is more of a "family" site, not one of the super-duper new sites, that is cold and uncaring.

an excellent example is this recently added feature:

" my most liked posts " found under the " my activity " section

Adam created it when I asked about how to find which of my " likes " had gathered the most " likes "

09-12-2020, 01:03 PM - 2 Likes   #308
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

Our older daughter - a professional librarian - made a list of information they keep about users that they really don't need {things like name of computer used to access them}.
The real real problem with FB is it is the axle for the world's misinformation wheel.
09-12-2020, 01:08 PM - 4 Likes   #309
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
an excellent example is this recently added feature:

" my most liked posts " found under the " my activity " section

Adam created it when I asked about how to find which of my " likes " had gathered the most " likes "
With all the comments here it becomes more clear "Why Pentax and Pentax enthusiasts" seem to be a breed standing alone. They have product loyalty to the brand and their fellow users!
09-12-2020, 01:09 PM - 6 Likes   #310
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The real real problem with FB is it is the axle for the world's misinformation wheel.
Which brings us back to the excellent moderating here.
09-12-2020, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #311
Veteran Member

I have lately become a member of some FB group regarding RV and camping , and golf. Wow , 90 % of answer are wrong and some not safe. I am part of an 2 RV forums like the Pentax one and that were I get and give proper answer. To many peoples on facebook think they know when in reality they know the wrong answer that they got somewhere else on FB...
09-12-2020, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #312
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I always try to tell the truth:

" what do I know, not as much as I might claim

but more than some people [ my sisters in law in particular ] give me credit for "

[ I claim no particular expertise in photography I'm just somebody who posts a lot while trying to learn ]
09-12-2020, 07:09 PM   #313
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

I used to be provided that information by Photobucket every time someone accessed my image on a site like this. I knew all my followers, what computers and monitors they used, their IP and where they lived, Photobucket stopped doing that, but it was fun while it lasted.
09-13-2020, 03:02 AM - 2 Likes   #314
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
To many peoples on facebook think they know when in reality they know the wrong answer
It is the Dunning-Kruger effect.

But people still give wrong advice or state falsehoods even when they must realise they don't know much about the subject. I am concious of what I don't know and when it comes to discussions in those areas I keep my mouth shut (or only ask questions). Seems that many people are incapable of this.
09-13-2020, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #315
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Dunning-Kruger effect.
There seems to be a proliferation of this on the internet!