Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1168 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2020, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Adam, I think the proposed changes are for everyones safety and smooth running of individual forums.

07-11-2020, 03:48 PM   #212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Read and understood, I always avoid these type of threads.
07-12-2020, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I dont want to insult/be insulted.
Maybe my english which I only use in this forum is not good enough to read between the lines, cerrtainly there are differences between the different languases. For exampel: In danish " with all respect" means no respect, you are a fool. It is a surface politeness. I prefer the direct communication. The PF does not nessecary be freindly, BUT it must be fair.
07-12-2020, 03:04 AM - 3 Likes   #214
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niels hansen Quote
I prefer the direct communication. The PF does not nessecary be freindly, BUT it must be fair.
This is the difficulty with a geographically and culturally diverse forum membership. We all have different preferences. I respect yours, but mine is for courtesy and friendliness above everything else. I can handle direct communication, but when it becomes discourteous and rude I want no part of it... and the line between those points can be fuzzy depending on cultural norms. That's why the forum rules are so important... they provide a common baseline for expected forum behaviour. If we adhere to the rules yet still manage to offend or upset someone, a simple but sincere apology goes a long way...

07-12-2020, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niels hansen Quote
I dont want to insult/be insulted.
Maybe my english which I only use in this forum is not good enough to read between the lines, cerrtainly there are differences between the different languases. For exampel: In danish " with all respect" means no respect, you are a fool. It is a surface politeness. I prefer the direct communication. The PF does not nessecary be freindly, BUT it must be fair.
Used in English, "with all due respect" is often used to preface a point that is in disagreement with the person you are talking to. It's kind of like "listen up, I don't agree with your point. Here's why." Or another interpretation could be " I understand your point but I don' think it's relevant to the conversation because of ........"
07-12-2020, 08:55 AM   #216
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Used in English, "with all due respect" is often used to preface a point that is in disagreement with the person you are talking to. It's kind of like "listen up, I don't agree with your point. Here's why." Or another interpretation could be " I understand your point but I don' think it's relevant to the conversation because of ........"
Right. Common use of "With respect" or "With all due respect" here in the UK is as a prefix which says, "I respect your point, but I disagree"... It might arguably be superfluous, but its intention is to signify polite disagreement...
07-12-2020, 09:38 AM   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Right. Common use of "With respect" or "With all due respect" here in the UK is as a prefix which says, "I respect your point, but I disagree"... It might arguably be superfluous, but its intention is to signify polite disagreement...
"With all due respect" could mean anything depending on how much respect the speaker believes is due. It always sounds sarcastic to me.

07-12-2020, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
"With all due respect" could mean anything depending on how much respect the speaker believes is due. It always sounds sarcastic to me.
It is a suggestion that the position being referred to is worthy of some respect.

You can acknowledge a point is well articulated and thought out, but is still in error.

It is almost always a kind of peace offering.

It's the exact opposite of "You're a complete idiot and here's why."

Should you choose to interpret it negatively, no one can stop you, but it was quite likely not the intention of the person who said it.
07-12-2020, 10:00 AM - 2 Likes   #219
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This is a good example of why some disagreements turn ugly on the forum. It's supposed to mean the same thing here as in Canada and England, but is more commonly used to mean "I think you're a <insert pejorative of your choice here> but since I started with 'with all due respect' I can say anything I want and you shouldn't get mad". The verbiage and its tone that follows is the key to deciphering the meaning.
Words and phrases having the same definition, but different connotation in different countries is responsible for a lot of misunderstandings and hurt feelings. More so in writing than when spoken because you can't hear tone, or see facial expressions and body language. "Bless your heart" is another example. It's a common phrase in the American South and its meaning is totally different than what the rest of the world would guess it to be.

"When I hear 'with all due respect' I know the last thing I'm going to get is the respect I'm due" ~Commissioner Reagan (Blue Bloods)
07-12-2020, 10:20 AM - 2 Likes   #220
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
This is a good example of why some disagreements turn ugly on the forum. It's supposed to mean the same thing here as in Canada and England, but is more commonly used to mean "I think you're a <insert pejorative of your choice here> but since I started with 'with all due respect' I can say anything I want and you shouldn't get mad". The verbiage and its tone that follows is the key to deciphering the meaning.
Words and phrases having the same definition, but different connotation in different countries is responsible for a lot of misunderstandings and hurt feelings. More so in writing than when spoken because you can't hear tone, or see facial expressions and body language. "Bless your heart" is another example. It's a common phrase in the American South and its meaning is totally different than what the rest of the world would guess it to be.

"When I hear 'with all due respect' I know the last thing I'm going to get is the respect I'm due" ~Commissioner Reagan (Blue Bloods)
"All due respect" is a declaration that the person being addressed has no respect due.
07-12-2020, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #221
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. I often use "with respect" as a sincere courtesy to signal my acknowledgement of, and respect for, someone's opinion when I'm disagreeing with them. Now I'm wondering which other courtesies I typically offer are being taken differently than intended, and perhaps even causing offence... One more reason, perhaps, why I'm not cut out for social media
07-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #222
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
"All due respect" is a declaration that the person being addressed has no respect due.
Normally said with a wry smile

07-12-2020, 10:59 AM - 2 Likes   #223
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. I often use "with respect" as a sincere courtesy to signal my acknowledgement of, and respect for, someone's opinion when I'm disagreeing with them. Now I'm wondering which other courtesies I typically offer are being taken differently than intended, and perhaps even causing offence...
The content and tone of what follows will tell the recipient what you meant so I wouldn't worry about it, Mike.
Bless your heart.
07-12-2020, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #224
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. I often use "with respect" as a sincere courtesy to signal my acknowledgement of, and respect for, someone's opinion when I'm disagreeing with them. Now I'm wondering which other courtesies I typically offer are being taken differently than intended, and perhaps even causing offence... One more reason, perhaps, why I'm not cut out for social media
Those would be the ones that you end up giving me vacations over...
07-12-2020, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #225
Pentaxian

I reckon it comes from Yes Minister

"Hacker was beginning to understand Civil Service code language. Other examples are: 'I think we have to be very careful.' Translation: We are not going to do this. 'Have you thought through all the implications?' Translation: You are not going to do this. 'It is a slightly puzzling decision.' Translation: Idiotic! 'Not entirely straightforward.' Translation: Criminal. 'With the greatest possible respect, Minister ...' Translation: Minister, that is the silliest idea I've ever heard."