Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2020, 10:29 AM   #256
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
who expect roast pigeons flying into their wide open mouth
I share many of your 'bad moods' in particular I like the phrase I quoted.

Hi all,

I share most of the comments, as long as good advice is not only written but applied... in common life, we know that this is often not the case.

But at least we have a duty to believe it!

Ciao Mario

08-29-2020, 12:17 PM - 2 Likes   #257
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Ah... this could apply to me?

English is not my native language and I had again and again difficulties with what could be called "form".
My usual approach is "form follows function" but to others this can come over as inpolite.
I personal find stupidity and ignorance impolite. No, not just impolite but actually rude!
As I said back channel to you, I believe the problem is not primarily that of language. The problem is primarily of thought.
Often we think that our answer is the one and only answer, when in truth it is one of many answers.
We need to be tolerant of other answers, if any; when someone has a problem or a thought, putting all responses out there is a good way to go about things.
Toleration works; competition sometimes does not work - it creates more heat than light.
09-01-2020, 06:15 PM   #258
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My old school training was a little different. Speak the truth, be prepared to pay the price for it.
I did and the result was insults from one of the moderators and now they have disabled my "like" button. So much for democracy and free speech. If my comments offend the moderators and they are on the Pentax payroll then by all mean bar me from the site but do not try to shut me up when I have a comment about a system I started using some 40 years ago. After all I hope Pentax reads the comments and does something about the features or capabilities that are missing and we are asking for. They do not seem to have any other way for someone to talk to them. This is hopefully a legitimate platform for us to talk to Pentax albeit indirectly.
09-01-2020, 06:47 PM - 4 Likes   #259
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
now they have disabled my "like" button.
I don't think this is something the moderators can do. Also, this forum is 100% independent.

Anyway, if you'd like to share your thoughts with the goal of the feedback reaching someone at Ricoh Imaging, please start a thread here:
Product Suggestions and Feedback - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-01-2020, 06:52 PM - 7 Likes   #260
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did and the result was insults from one of the moderators and now they have disabled my "like" button. So much for democracy and free speech. If my comments offend the moderators and they are on the Pentax payroll then by all mean bar me from the site but do not try to shut me up when I have a comment about a system I started using some 40 years ago. After all I hope Pentax reads the comments and does something about the features or capabilities that are missing and we are asking for. They do not seem to have any other way for someone to talk to them. This is hopefully a legitimate platform for us to talk to Pentax albeit indirectly.
In my recent experience with the same like button issue, it wasn't the moderators, it was my adblock app hiding the like button.
Eric
09-01-2020, 07:01 PM - 25 Likes   #261
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So much for democracy and free speech.
We occasionally run into this misconception regarding the freedom of speech. Allow me to clarify things. The First Amendment to the Constitution does indeed give you the right to speak without fear of govrnmental repercussions. (with certain limitations). It provides no protection whatsoever from social repercussions from what you say; nor does it give you the right to be heard, so therefore is not applicable to this situation. There is no "freedom of speech" here. A forum is private property just as your house is. Just as you get to decide what can and can't be said, and by whom it may be said, in your home, the owner of this forum gets to decide what can and can't be said here. You don't have a right to speak here; you have permission to speak provided you do so in accordance with the forum rules that you agreed to upon joining.
09-01-2020, 07:43 PM - 11 Likes   #262
Closed Account

and they are on the Pentax payroll
No, none of the moderators are on the Pentax payroll. Adam takes care of our remuneration.
In fact, he very generously doubled our pay just last week...................we all went from $0.00 to $00.00 a week...................

09-01-2020, 07:48 PM - 5 Likes   #263
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
No, none of the moderators are on the Pentax payroll. Adam takes care of our remuneration.
In fact, he very generously doubled our pay just last week...................we all went from $0.00 to $00.00 a week...................
A pittance! He should double it again.
09-01-2020, 07:50 PM - 3 Likes   #264
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
So you're on a Salary pjv?
I get paid fee for service - $0.00 per moderation activity
09-01-2020, 07:50 PM   #265
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
A pittance! He should double it again.
09-01-2020, 07:54 PM - 2 Likes   #266
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
So you're on a Salary pjv?
I get paid fee for service - $0.00 per moderation activity
........................................I'm gonna bring this unfairness up at our next meeting Sandy ................................

EDIT - I won't need to say anything at the meeting, as I see you are still on the old rate...............

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 09-01-2020 at 08:05 PM.
09-01-2020, 07:57 PM - 3 Likes   #267
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
We occasionally run into this misconception regarding the freedom of speech. Allow me to clarify things. The First Amendment to the Constitution does indeed give you the right to speak without fear of govrnmental repercussions. (with certain limitations). It provides no protection whatsoever from social repercussions from what you say; nor does it give you the right to be heard, so therefore is not applicable to this situation. There is no "freedom of speech" here. A forum is private property just as your house is. Just as you get to decide what can and can't be said, and by whom it may be said, in your home, the owner of this forum gets to decide what can and can't be said here. You don't have a right to speak here; you have permission to speak provided you do so in accordance with the forum rules that you agreed to upon joining.
It sounds harsh but very well put and true.
09-01-2020, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #268
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
This is not the brand's forum, Nathan. Nor is it some sort of public service. It is privately owned, no association with Ricoh.

Particularly, it's not some sort of place to vent - I don't come here to witness other people stamping their little feet over something they don't understand. I insist on this place being better than that, or if that just happens thread after thread, it's not worth my while paying for it annually. I don't sell stuff in the Marketplace, my Loyal Site Supporter status is because ... I support this site and its members.

People can tell very quickly if someone is just a whining loser. Or a fanboi. Particularly over time - they can't hide it.

But if people see all sides of your character - if you've invested in *them* first - it's amazing how big a criticism you can propose.

In one thread I've admitted I've supported the lawsuit initiated against Ricoh over the aperture block issue, even supplying the lawyers with advice. No shortage of the people I like have then disagreed with me, but all factual, all respectful so far, because there's no doubt I'm one of their brothers.

So, it's how you conduct yourself in a community, what you put into it first.

For someone who can't be bothered joining in, they're unhappy with their life and their hobby and just want somewhere to complain, I'll suggest DPR - basement dwelling trolls and open warfare between brand supporters are de rigeur.
What I was thinking also, Clackers.

---------- Post added 09-01-20 at 11:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
What I was thinking also, Clackers.
To also update on the whole camera situation, my ex just purchased [ 2 day’s ago ] some not -named camera stuff [big bucks!] A DSLR and 3 lenses. Not Pentax. All her camera stuff for 20 years has been Pentax. I agree she needs a better camera system for what she is doing, wildlife. Birds in flight. Her and I just spent a week testing her stuff [ what we both have in lens/ cameras] and my stuff in central Texas. A big issue Is the temp. Over 100 degrees all this time. My SMC A*400 was the best of all the lens/camera combos. That is not a good sign, as my A* 400 was purchased [by me] in 1988, [1987?] The K-New is too late for her. She has needed a bird in flight camera for many years, but has struggled with Pentax out of loving the system, struggling in the last year, taking way too many images to get 1 good one enough out of way of too many images. Time to switch for her. Ricoh/Pentax just lost someone they did need to lose... I hope the K-new, with a flip screen, arrives in 2 months or less....Too save me from having to think about switching camera systems...[no flip screen, but better than Canikon focus in flight, I will stay]

Last edited by stihlmania; 09-01-2020 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
09-01-2020, 11:00 PM - 5 Likes   #269
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They do not seem to have any other way for someone to talk to them. This is hopefully a legitimate platform for us to talk to Pentax albeit indirectly.
This is not owned by Pentax, it's a private operation where you're talking to fellow owners (and the occasional troll).
09-02-2020, 02:56 AM - 3 Likes   #270
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
It sounds harsh but very well put and true.
Needed to be harsh IMO