Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2020, 03:28 AM - 9 Likes   #271
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I did and the result was insults from one of the moderators and now they have disabled my "like" button. So much for democracy and free speech. If my comments offend the moderators and they are on the Pentax payroll then by all mean bar me from the site but do not try to shut me up when I have a comment about a system I started using some 40 years ago. After all I hope Pentax reads the comments and does something about the features or capabilities that are missing and we are asking for. They do not seem to have any other way for someone to talk to them. This is hopefully a legitimate platform for us to talk to Pentax albeit indirectly.
Going back through your posts, I can find no insults from a moderator - whether before, during or after my time in the team. They've sometimes disagreed with you or questioned your views ("views" not to be confused with "truth") - but never insulted you (so far as I can determine).

Moderators are, first and foremost, regular members like you, and entitled to their own opinions (which won't always match yours). The moderating role is an entirely voluntary one, performed in the service of members, and unpaid - the motivation and reward being the satisfaction of making this a better place for the majority of members. The moderators answer to Adam - not Ricoh - since, as Adam pointed out, these forums are entirely independent of Ricoh. Moderators aren't always appreciated, but that's usually by those who break forum rules or consistently bring negativity or disruption to the forums. It's not an easy job, I promise you. Interestingly, whenever Adam appeals for new moderators, applicants are typically few and far between.

I'm reminded of a line from the movie "A Few Good Men":

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said “thank you” and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post.”

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-02-2020 at 08:03 AM.
09-02-2020, 03:37 AM - 5 Likes   #272
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
whenever Adam appeals for new moderators, applicants are typically few and far between
It's the thought of being reasonable all the time that puts me off - I'm sure it must take a toll
09-02-2020, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #273
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
........................................I'm gonna bring this unfairness up at our next meeting Sandy ................................

EDIT - I won't need to say anything at the meeting, as I see you are still on the old rate...............
You can take it up with your union steward, Peter.
09-02-2020, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #274
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Racer, will do........................

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 09-02-2020 at 04:00 AM.
09-02-2020, 04:01 AM - 5 Likes   #275
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I did and the result was insults from one of the moderators and now they have disabled my "like" button. So much for democracy and free speech. If my comments offend the moderators and they are on the Pentax payroll then by all mean bar me from the site but do not try to shut me up when I have a comment about a system I started using some 40 years ago. After all I hope Pentax reads the comments and does something about the features or capabilities that are missing and we are asking for. They do not seem to have any other way for someone to talk to them. This is hopefully a legitimate platform for us to talk to Pentax albeit indirectly.
Just to reiterate.

Pentax does not have a payroll.

Pentax is a brand name, currently owned by Ricoh Corporation. They most certainly have a payroll, and I assure you, nobody here is on it.

Pentax Forums is a 100% independent website, and receives no compensation from the Ricoh Corporation to support it's existence.

I cannot comment about Ricoh Corporation's awareness of this forum, or if they read our inane babble, as I don't know anyone who works there.

If you wish to talk to Ricoh directly, send them a letter, e-mail, or pick up the phone and give them a call.

As for your like button troubles, check your browser and ad blocker settings.
09-02-2020, 04:48 AM - 5 Likes   #276
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
This is not owned by Pentax, it's a private operation where you're talking to fellow owners (and the occasional troll).
sorry, you and I are not " owners "

we are guests in a " private home "

who have been asked to abide by the " house rules "

[ speaking as one who has, from time to time, failed to do so ]

and some of us have been given " extra privileges " in exchange for a voluntary donation.

The mods are those members given supervisory positions and power by the owner to make sure we do abide by those " house rules ":

" please keep your feet off the couch "

all in all, considering the fact that the " mods " are real people and may have their " days " from time to time [ who doesn't ]

they do the best they can

and we should thank them all

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-10-2020 at 12:44 PM.
09-02-2020, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #277
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
sorry, you and I are not " owners "
I think he meant Pentax photographic equipment owners.

09-02-2020, 05:01 AM   #278
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I could have been confused on that point

but I still like my description of the Pentax Forums and the role of the mods
09-02-2020, 05:03 AM   #279
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

but I still like my description of the Pentax Forums and the role of the mods
So do I.
09-02-2020, 05:47 AM - 2 Likes   #280
Pentaxian

I am a member of another Photo Discussion Forum, only one without Moderators. I have seen what chaos happens when the owner takes time off.
09-03-2020, 07:51 AM - 7 Likes   #281
Pentaxian

I don't know, I've never been targeted by a moderator for something I didn't in the end agree with heir opinion on. All you have to do with the mods is try to understand their point of view and what they are trying to accomplish. What they hope to accomplish is not a bad thing. Targeted posts can be improved. At least that's my experience. Most of my infractions were things I would have changed given a bit of time to cool down. Bottom line, none of us has any "right" to post on this forum. We are here at Adam's discretion. Can you live with that, or can't you? Adam provides a service, and simply asks that those who can afford it donate to the cause. It doesn't get any better than that.
09-03-2020, 09:46 AM - 2 Likes   #282
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't know, I've never been targeted by a moderator for something I didn't in the end agree with heir opinion on. All you have to do with the mods is try to understand their point of view and what they are trying to accomplish. What they hope to accomplish is not a bad thing. Targeted posts can be improved. At least that's my experience. Most of my infractions were things I would have changed given a bit of time to cool down. Bottom line, none of us has any "right" to post on this forum. We are here at Adam's discretion. Can you live with that, or can't you? Adam provides a service, and simply asks that those who can afford it donate to the cause. It doesn't get any better than that.
Excellent attitude sir, or at least your attitude AFTER the fact is excellent

This place wouldn't be the same without ya Norm.
09-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #283
Pentaxian

all in all, considering the fact that the " mods " are real people and may have their " days " from time to time [ who doesn't ]

they do the best they can

and we should thank them all
and again I add that those who complain about moderation here should compare this place to a place where the owner attempts to keep order, while working just an eight-hour day.
09-03-2020, 10:07 AM - 5 Likes   #284
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have been. On the other forum. Being told what I "actually meant" when I wrote something IMHO innocuous (like "it's pointless to continue" after disagreeing with someone several posts in a row, no concession made), being told that off-topic was fine, even recommended unlike the actual subject, that I should leave the forum, that there's nothing which could be done about me being insulted, etc. There was never any explanation, only contradiction. Incompetence with power.

OTOH, my last exchange with a moderator here was very encouraging and fully in tune with Adam's post. Being listened to, a favorable resolution which considered my point of view, and I hope I'll know better how to avoid such unpleasant situations. And there are countless examples of the mods trying to calm the spirits, in a fair manner.
That's why they're called moderators, not aggravators! We have a good team here.

P.S. This forum also features a most insidious punishment - the thread ban - which should be considered torture under any reasonable law. You see, once you get a thread ban, and someone posts something on that thread, it stays as "unread" - not matching the other treads! Aaaaarghhhh, the disorder!!!
09-03-2020, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #285
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote

P.S. This forum also features a most insidious punishment - the thread ban - which should be considered torture under any reasonable law. You see, once you get a thread ban, and someone posts something on that thread, it stays as "unread" - not matching the other treads! Aaaaarghhhh, the disorder!!!
We definitely have to raise the issue whenever the Geneva Convention considers updating something there .