Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2020, 08:41 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

July 22nd, 2020 at 7 p.m.: Update on the development of the new APS-C flagship model

Another wait:

July 22nd, 2020 at 7 p.m.: Update on the development of the new APS-C flagship model
What PENTAX Values Most in Future Cameras - YouTube

Obviously it's "on the development", so it is not ready for sale yet. But there might be news.

07-16-2020, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Please release it's name, please. okthxbye
07-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, they can always say "about the development, it's done. Prepare your wallets and coach your kids on what to tell the household's CFO"
Jokes aside, I suppose it will "just" be some more specs and maybe some slightly more defined release timeframe? I would hope for either some new features or just additional info on the AF system.
07-16-2020, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Prepare your wallets
I'm so ready for this camera. gimme. take my money already.

---------- Post added 07-16-20 at 10:10 AM ----------

my mind is jumping to conclusions...

maybe, Pentax foresaw the need to implement the K-New tech in a Full-Frame body, but it would take them too long to produce/manufacture.

so maybe the new circuit board in the K-1 II (and upgraded K-1 I), along with the accelerator unit cameras, will allow for a firmware update to access the K-New tech.

It just seems odd to me for them to discuss the K-1 II circuit board upgrade and imply that they did that with the intention to supply a consumer with a longer life-span camera, but really the mark II model was released only a short while after the K-1 I, with the upgrade option only available for a period of time...

This seems to me that they intend to tap into that new circuit board/accelerator unit more - and that these new advances will be available for the K-1 I (upgraded) & II before the release of the K-1 III.

Last edited by FozzFoster; 07-16-2020 at 09:12 AM.
07-16-2020, 09:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Weekly updates.
07-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Another wait:

What PENTAX Values Most in Future Cameras - YouTube

Obviously it's "on the development", so it is not ready for sale yet. But there might be news.
These aren't exactly ads, and I don't know that these will excite new users that have not experienced the use of Pentax products in the past, I'm happy to see Ricoh Pentax are doing things to get a bit more exposure for their products. I'm looking forward to the next video.
07-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'll wait until then. Hopefully we get something "substantial", but my guess is that it's going to be another teaser.

07-16-2020, 12:23 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I see this behaviour most often with game software customers. They know a new upgrade or product is going to be released and then pressure through the forums for its release...... "why is it not out"..."when will it be released" etc.

The camera will be released when it is is ready. Or would you rather have a product available to the consumer market before the producers are completely happy with it ? In the meantime take pictures with what you have.
07-16-2020, 12:26 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I'll wait until then. Hopefully we get something "substantial", but my guess is that it's going to be another teaser.
We might find out a spec or two, but clearly, they will reserve the most for the official announcement.
07-16-2020, 12:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love how they kept showing the film slr and 6x7 in the promo video, and all the talk about the viewfinder experience, with the connection to the user.

The only thing I wish is that at the end of the video, they said "This video was recorded entirely on the K-new" just to mess with peoples heads. LOL!
Eric

PS: Oh, and watching with auto-English closed captioning is a riot! There are some very comical translations going on, worthy of an SNL skit! I was tempted to screen cap some of them, but I figure you all have seen them already.

PPS: Ok, I couldn't resist, this is one: ?????PENTAX????????????? - YouTube
"At the time of confrontation, the photographer read the 8 impressions that were engraved in his mind as if he was eating a mine"

Last edited by Erictator; 07-16-2020 at 01:12 PM.
07-16-2020, 12:57 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Forr ever and ever we’ve complained Pentax (HoyaTax and RicohTax) holds their cards too close to the vest, doesn’t tell us anything, speak equivocally when the\y do, and (we) just generally moan and groan.

So they did a public tour with several development bodies last winter and this is their second informational “development” video released in place of CP+. Alas, from the tone of this thread (some of) we apparently want more or something.
07-16-2020, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So they did a public tour with several development bodies last winter and this is their second informational “development” video released in place of CP+. Alas, from the tone of this thread (some of) we apparently want more or something.
Broad-brush is fine with me. I'm more of a broad-brush rather than fine-detail person. Indeed, I now feel I have a much firmer grasp of Pentax's future direction, which is both useful and reassuring. I will take the ride.

For those wanting to go mirrorless, change to a different line. Indeed, given the emphasis on "Pentax" deriving from "pentaprism", maybe any future mirrorless option would be Ricoh branded rather than Pentax.
07-16-2020, 02:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
For those wanting to go mirrorless, change to a different line. Indeed, given the emphasis on "Pentax" deriving from "pentaprism", maybe any future mirrorless option would be Ricoh branded rather than Pentax.
I think that’s the general consensus, now, after two less than stellar attempts (sales-wise) at a Pentax-branded mirrorless. Those who actually watched the video right through will have had that reinforced from the amount of time they spent talking about the pentaprism.

One aspect of retaining the mirror, which they might want to think about, and which was noted in another thread on this subject, is the matter of focus calibration for the body (as distinct from the lens focus calibration). Having an easier and more precise system than shimming the focussing screen could save some production time, as well as user time and resource (and maybe frustration), especially for those who like to change screens. I’ve never had a major issue with it, personally, but clearly some do. Perhaps that’s a feature of the new APS-C body.
07-16-2020, 03:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Pentaprism was/is always there in cameras for technical, engineering and business purposes, never primarily for charm or nostalgia.

I always got the feeling that if three years or so ago (maybe at the time of the K-1 or KP releases) Ricoh had found someone who could sell them a well-engineered, super fast refesh rate, extra-high MP electronic viewfinder at a bargain price, Pentax would only be making mirrorless now, and we'd all be happily shooting Pentax mirrorless.
07-16-2020, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Discussed here.
Closed Thread