Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2020, 05:25 PM - 4 Likes   #166

I found the video hugely enjoyable, for reasons that have been stated by other commentators here. The enthusiasm of the photographer I found to be infectious. He really liked the camera!

I don't intend to buy any new camera but if I did this camera would be very high on my list of preferences. Optical viewfinder quality is of paramount importance for me and the improvements made seem to be very impressive.

Last edited by Pentaxis; 07-22-2020 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Typo
07-22-2020, 05:51 PM   #167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64 Quote
"most advanced APS-C flagship"
'Most advanced' needs to be relative - it applies to the current Pentax lineup, more than to the rest of the camera industry.

Pentax just doesn't have access to the same industrial resources as Sony/Canon/Nikon/Panasonic/Fuji, so I am pretty sure it would have to be a false claim (on technical features or performance) that the K-new were the most advanced APS-C in the market. There's the D7500, 90D, even XT-4 out there in APS-C which are packed with very modern tech that the K-new has to outdo if it were to really claim the title of 'most advanced' APS-C.

Which is not to say that being first in tech is being best. There's lots of other things that make a great camera, which Pentax certainly understands.
07-22-2020, 05:57 PM - 4 Likes   #168

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Here's why I think a movable screen is very important. If you want to take shots from really unusual frames of reference to try to create images with very novel perspectives, such as right from the ground in a way that exaggerates things so they look different than how we normally see them, it is extremely hard to do so without lying on the ground. A movable screen would dramatically simplify it. So, if it's not there, it's a really big disappointment on what appears to be an otherwise very promising camera (at least from the little we saw this morning). It's just hard for me to imagine that in 2020 you could have a flagship camera without one.
I'm sure these two professional newspaper photographers would have liked to have a movable screen of some kind while shooting wrestling. Meanwhile I shot sitting down with my Sony A6400 near the mat with the screen flipped up.

The point about features is that they give the photographer options. You can use a touch screen or the four-way controller, the flippy screen or the viewfinder, the pop-up flash or an external flash, the list goes on.

Some people are defending the camera design by saying, "I don't use an articulating screen." The point is that's your choice. Nothing is taken away from photographers if they never use a flippy screen. Addition of a flippy screen is an extra choice given to users who have different shooting styles.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-6400  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-22-2020, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #169
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
'Most advanced' needs to be relative - it applies to the current Pentax lineup, more than to the rest of the camera industry.

Pentax just doesn't have access to the same industrial resources as Sony/Canon/Nikon/Panasonic/Fuji, so I am pretty sure it would have to be a false claim (on technical features or performance) that the K-new were the most advanced APS-C in the market. There's the D7500, 90D, even XT-4 out there in APS-C which are packed with very modern tech that the K-new has to outdo if it were to really claim the title of 'most advanced' APS-C.

Which is not to say that being first in tech is being best. There's lots of other things that make a great camera, which Pentax certainly understands.
" so I am pretty sure it would have to be a false claim"

While I always adopt the wait and see approach.

07-22-2020, 06:14 PM - 3 Likes   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

You could turn that comparison on its head, though - Pentax DSLRs offer tech the aforementioned cameras don't, like IBIS (only the X-T4 has it), AA simulator, Pixel Shift, AstroTracer...

I've said it before, the amount of technology Pentax packs into their cameras is underestimated.

I bet if you approached a group of non-photographers and handed them a paper that listed all of the specs and features of these cameras, the Nikon D7500 would be considered the "least advanced" and the Pentax, Fuji, and Canon would all scores wins as being "most advanced". The Fuji might be the ultimate "winner", though, because the EVF would make it seem more high-tech.
07-22-2020, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #171
Veteran Member

Why an SR button?
07-22-2020, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #172
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Why an SR button?
I also asked. My guess to turn off SR for video without needing to menu dive. Otherwise for tripod without needing to use the LCD Info Screen.

07-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #173
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
turn off SR for video

Are you thinking the K new may have SR in video?
07-22-2020, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Somebody in the Pentaxians Facebook group noticed this about YouTube's automatic caption generating 'service': Very gangsta, that product development executive ...
You've instilled a glorious vision in my head of the product development guy covering Notorious B.I.G.'s Ten Crack Commandments as Pentax Commandments
07-22-2020, 07:00 PM - 6 Likes   #175
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
You've instilled a glorious vision in my head of the product development guy covering Notorious B.I.G.'s Ten Crack Commandments as Pentax Commandments
Aren't they quaint, LF? The least fly guys to put on air.

I found both this and last week's presentations endearing. Dignified Japanese executives making personal statements of philosophy bowing at the end towards the camera, versus what a glitzy Korean phone manufacturer might do, hiring Miley Cyrus for a launch or whatever.
07-22-2020, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #176
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

I found both this and last week's presentations endearing. Dignified Japanese executives making personal statements of philosophy bowing at the end towards the camera, versus what a glitzy Korean phone manufacturer might do, hiring Miley Cyrus for a launch or whatever.
I felt the same way! I quite enjoyed this video for that, it's so interesting to see this well put together and polite video.
07-22-2020, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #177
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Are you thinking the K new may have SR in video?
That’s implied in my guess.
07-22-2020, 07:10 PM - 5 Likes   #178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed. Gave me a few minutes of comfort and optimism about the futurre of everything.
07-22-2020, 07:41 PM - 3 Likes   #179
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I learnt japan's language and culture for 2 years when I was at high school and I happened to work for a japanese company and almost all of my colleagues and superiors were japanese at that time.

Though my ability to understand japanese (language) is almost down to zero nowadays, in my opinion:
- Last week video is almost like a formal / general executive speech from a Japanese director/manager
- But yesterday's video is different, the photographer and pentax product manager were more relaxed and expressive, I can truly feel and recognize the photographer's pure enthusiasm as well as the sincerity of pentax product manager.

I can't wait for the new king of pentax aps-c!
07-22-2020, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #180
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks like this is a camera to definitely fondle.
Closed Thread