Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 944 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2020, 03:43 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The rear screen just doesn't look like the finished product to me. Just a stub awaiting the genuine article.

07-22-2020, 03:56 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before the last video I said I expected 1.75 new pieces of information to be released. I think we're still waiting for about 1.25 of those...
07-22-2020, 03:58 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I like the suggestion of better low iso performance.
07-22-2020, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
They claim it is the most advanced APS-C camera on the market.. I wonder what the AF points are and what improvements were made to focus tracking.
Very exciting!
I did catch that. By what measure is not immediately clear. If by pure image quality, they're arguably in their own class already. Autofocus, FPS, and buffer size would probably be targeting the Nikon D500's specs, which I doubt.

07-22-2020, 04:01 AM - 32 Likes   #50
Pentaxian

TL;DW -- The summary

One can see a reaction to the viewfinder of the K-new (very bright, very clear).

They used brand-new high-refraction glass for the pentaprism and it is the first time this material -- for which development started in 2017 -- is used in a pentaprism.

The viewfinder is said to be 10% brighter than that of the KP and reduces distortion to a minimum; it is said to be one of the most important features of the new APS-C flagship

The new camera is slimmer than the KP and the use of a joystick for AF point selection is confirmed. Two memory card slots are confirmed as well.

The shutter release button uses the same leaf switch design that was used used in the 645Z and K-1. Normally, they use a more compact mechanism for smaller cameras but managed to use this design -- which allows a smoother release -- in the K-new.

They also maximised the size of the top LCD panel.

A new shutter unit and new mirror-driving mechanism are used to combine to a smooth shooting action, in particular to minimize any impact from the mirror swing-back action.

They want to convince users that in terms of component quality, an APS-C camera can be just as good as an FF camera.

The image sensor and image-processing engine are also new.
There is a new "accelerator unit" as well. Some will like that, some won't. No words on whether its use will be optional this time.

IQ improvements are promised even at ISO 100, due to advanced image-processing.
Again, no words on whether or not these improvements will be optional.

Silver (painted) versions of the following were shown: FA* 70-200, FA* 50, (an FA*85 is planned), K-1 Mark II (probably limited numbers), K-new (will hopefully be released along with the black version, but then the phrasing used "consider", so there is no 100% confirmation).

Last edited by Class A; 07-22-2020 at 04:14 AM.
07-22-2020, 04:05 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I also liked the insight how they design the body, with a clay model. Interesting. I wonder about the brightness of the VF. Just checked my K-1 which seems ok-ish with a fast lens but, well, it could be brighter. Never thought too much about it but, yeah, more light would be welcomed for a slower lens. And they said they worked 3+yrs on the new prism. Seems to be a tough work to achieve what they did.
07-22-2020, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #52
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
TL;DW -- The summary
Thank you - this is a good summary!

07-22-2020, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

I think the silver is kind of tacky. If AF is level with the best Nikon and Canon offerings Pentax may be able to lure some people over who don't want to go mirrorless. No articulating lcd is not suitable for my kind of photography, so it is a pass for me on this one.
07-22-2020, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I think the silver is kind of tacky.
If the finish is like my silver K-3, it is very well done and a good match for the silver lenses. But, each to their own: there is no accounting for taste.
07-22-2020, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #55
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
They claim it is the most advanced APS-C camera on the market.. I wonder what the AF points are and what improvements were made to focus tracking.
Very exciting!
The translation said the most advanced flagship aps-c available today. So it was little muddy about precisely what that means, within the Pentax range, all aps-c. It would be quite a leap if it were the latter.
07-22-2020, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to go 'behind the curtains ' and hear the philosophy that's going into this unfinished product.
07-22-2020, 04:37 AM   #57
ogl
Banned

No tilting LCD....It's a pity
07-22-2020, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
No tilting LCD....It's a pity
But not unexpected, so what’s inside becomes the focus of interest.
07-22-2020, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think Mr sasaki needs a lie down

And I now need to find a buyer for my major organs! I need to raise the cash to get a K-new

One thing I liked is that the viewfinder adjustment is like the K3 and not like the KP. Its strange what floats your boat lol
07-22-2020, 04:53 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
The translation said the most advanced flagship aps-c available today. So it was little muddy about precisely what that means, within the Pentax range, all aps-c. It would be quite a leap if it were the latter.
Yes I found it unclear if it is best in Pentax or best in world.
Closed Thread