Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 944 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2020, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks promising but would like more details. How much of the screen is covered with AF points? And, if no tilting LCD, let alone no touch screen focus, that’s a biiiiiig miss for me. It loses a lot of flexibility without it.

07-22-2020, 05:14 AM   #62
ogl
Banned

I hope for touch screen
07-22-2020, 05:17 AM - 5 Likes   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

lack of tilt screen (something like the KP) is rather disappointing.

Granted there are those who dont want/need a tilt screen.

But a tilt screen is absolutely very useful when need to position the cam low/lower.
tilt it and could act like that right-angle scope of LX (or like using a LX without top housing).

A tilt-screen isnt really a "luxury".

A touch-screen, more of a "luxury".

Hopefully, final product has tilt screen like the KP.
07-22-2020, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I hope for touch screen
It should have a touch screen; as discussed ages ago, the back LCD looks like the GR III's unit, turned 180o.

07-22-2020, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
DFA* silver coming…
Yea, D FA* 70-200, D FA* 50mm and D FA* 85mm in silver
Attached Images

07-22-2020, 05:22 AM - 13 Likes   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got up to get a drink of water, and remembered about this - part 2. So, my takeaways after watching the video was.... I also felt that the order of the presentation was important - the most important (at least to Pentax) was first.
  • Pentax wanted to emphasize the image capture experience, the holding experience - and not get into the "laundry list / body count" of the actual numerical specifications. From what was said, apparently its not an absolutely finished product - as "tweaking" is still taking place. Since they really shied away from numbers, the numbers that they did put out, I would assume are things that they wanted to emphasize in terms of the context of the shooting experience coupled into the end result - the image. They were really pushing, highlighting the overall experience of photography. That's their primary "marketing" point here.
  • The viewfinder - using new optical glass formulation, high refraction index, 10% brighter, minimizing distortion, better colors. They did not address any real time overlays at all (hybrid viewfinder) - it was all the view and feel - the the glass formula in terms of the shooting experience, better / real colors, brighter views, etc.
  • Slightly smaller body - apparently started with the KP as a starting point (clay model) and shaved here and there during the ergonomic process, emphasizing the tactical feel and shooting experience. They really want to emphasize the shooting experience, the feeling in the hand, eye coordination - wanting to make you feel you want to capture images. They did point out that the body was or appeared to be thinner (vs KP). Going out on a limb here - but the articulating screen may be the casualty here.
  • Joystick - new and position optimized - just guessing here, but I think that the joystick has been added to get around having a touch screen, and to supplement the arrow buttons. A touch screen may have added too much thickness to the body size. Same reasoning as the apparent lack of the articulating screen.
  • Larger control buttons
  • Shutter Release Button - fitting the K1 shutter release design into this body, able to accommodate the size of the assembly. Again, returning to having this feature add to the enhance overall shooting experience.
  • AF faster - other than touching on that the AF feels faster, they really didn't say much at all.
  • Top LCD larger than the K1 / KP optimized in terms of size and placement - also there was some discussion about the information presented, but they didn't get into it. It just may be ordering, font size - varying how the information is presented based on shooting mode (???) - who knows.
  • New Shutter Unit / Mirror Mechanism - provides an enhanced smoother photography experience. Optimize / minimize the mirror swing-back physical sensation. Made the entire assembly quieter (more pleasing ????) to a degree.
  • New Sensor, Image Engine (processor) and Accelerator - They alluded to possibly not changing the sensor resolution, but processing optimizations. They did NOT address this, but since Pentax engineering has essentially been using the same internal processing "guts" across the crop, full frame and 645 models (with tweaks in order to host the sensor differences), in order to increase the FPS in the FF and 645, they were going to have to optimize the image processing chain for a better FPS. Also, image quality in terms of taking it down to ISO 100 was touched on, so slightly better image quality. Just a guess, but a better overall integration of the accelerator across the entire ISO range (they didn't didn't state it exactly in this way).
  • Quieter Shutter - they did discuses the mirror handling a bit in terms of being quieter, and again the "feel" of the overall experience.
  • Dual card slots - didn't go into type, but did touch on being able to slide into 2 slots with the slimmer thinner body design.
  • Silver body and lens colors are going to be available with the new body in a limited run.
They are trying to differentiate Pentax from everyone else by over emphasizing the shooting experience - the photographer camera interface.

Last edited by interested_observer; 07-22-2020 at 05:36 AM.
07-22-2020, 05:22 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
They were showing a working pre production copy of the K-new. There will be no tilting screen.

---------- Post added 22-07-20 at 14:25 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Yea, D FA* 70-200, D FA* 50mm and D FA* 85mm in silver
The 85 isn't much bigger than the 50 if you leave of the hoods

07-22-2020, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Yes I found it unclear if it is best in Pentax or best in world.
...and best at what? Best IQ (likely to be excellent)? Best AF tracking (doubt it)? Best user experience (probably)?

---------- Post added 07-22-20 at 05:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
There will be no tilting screen.
Oh well. I find it useful, but it's not a deal breaker. Loved my K5ii to bits without a tilting screen.

I guess if more tech is going into the OVF, then might as well use it. On the positive side, no tilt will slim up the camera slightly anyway, and make it more rugged and easily weather sealed.
07-22-2020, 05:37 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The 85 isn't much bigger than the 50 if you leave of the hoods
The images are not to scale.
Much bigger? No. Clearly bigger? Yes.
07-22-2020, 05:40 AM   #70
Veteran Member

The new camera looks very good. I can't wait to see just how different the viewfinder is. I like the emphasis on image quality. Pity about the rear screen being fixed and not articulated.
07-22-2020, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #71
Pentaxian

I think that product is final and will have no tilt screen. It would have been a big plus factor to the unit. But I guess that's not the end of it. I'm interested in the image quality and the AF. I hope the AF has a huge improvement in AF.C mode. I hope the camera will provide excellent image quality during low light high ISO situations.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 07-22-2020 at 05:50 AM.
07-22-2020, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nothing really new here other than the silver bodies and lenses. I wee bit more detailed description of what has been teased already.

A tilt screen of some type would be nice but it is not a deal maker or deal breaker for me. I have come to appreciate the flippy screen on the K1 more than I thought I would. If the camera has good wireless connection to my cell phone than no real need for a movable rear screen.
07-22-2020, 05:53 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
lack of tilt screen (something like the KP) is rather disappointing.

Granted there are those who dont want/need a tilt screen.

But a tilt screen is absolutely very useful when need to position the cam low/lower.
tilt it and could act like that right-angle scope of LX (or like using a LX without top housing).

A tilt-screen isnt really a "luxury".

A touch-screen, more of a "luxury".

While for my style of photography a movable screen is highly welcome, I doubt that there will be a change in the final version from this development model. They emphasize that the depth of this camera from mount to the back of the LCD is (even) less than on the KP and that the protrusion of the eyepiece of the viewfinder is higher, to accomodate for a better view of the full image in the OVF. I don't think that this is possible with a tiltable screen on the back of this model.
07-22-2020, 05:54 AM   #74
Pentaxian

The FF-like viewfinder is very tempting but... without the tilting lcd screen no deal for me
The secret button is the hold function!
07-22-2020, 05:55 AM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
  • New Shutter Unit / Mirror Mechanism - provides an enhanced smoother photography experience. Optimize / minimize the mirror swing-back physical sensation. Made the entire assembly quieter (more pleasing ????) to a degree.

Perhaps it has a variation on the floating mirror hinge mechanism introduced on the K1? This was touted to reduce mirror shock and bounce with the larger mirror required for full frame, down to APS-C levels or better. Pehaps the newK is aiming to match the mirror shock of the mirror-less cameras? It sounded very smooth to me.
Closed Thread