Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2020, 05:56 AM   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Nothing really new here other than the silver bodies and lenses. I wee bit more detailed description of what has been teased already.

A tilt screen of some type would be nice but it is not a deal maker or deal breaker for me. I have come to appreciate the flippy screen on the K1 more than I thought I would. If the camera has good wireless connection to my cell phone than no real need for a movable rear screen.
Agreed, a good connection to a phone can be helpful in some of the cases.

07-22-2020, 05:59 AM   #77

If there was a major leap in auto focus performance, they would have teased it more. I'm still baffled they don't pour more resources into that. For a long time now Pentax has been at the top of the heap for image quality and build quality. They have that part down. If they would have a major advancement in auto focus and buffer rates, they'd have it all (obviously video aside, but i really don't feel like video is a priority for photographers).
07-22-2020, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
without the tilting lcd screen no deal for me
Yes, it will be missed. A puzzling omission.

I'm sure they had plenty of K-1 or K-P tilt screens piled up in the parts bin at Cebu that they could have used, at very little expense or effort.
07-22-2020, 06:21 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bunch Quote
If there was a major leap in auto focus performance, they would have teased it more. I'm still baffled they don't pour more resources into that. For a long time now Pentax has been at the top of the heap for image quality and build quality. They have that part down. If they would have a major advancement in auto focus and buffer rates, they'd have it all (obviously video aside, but i really don't feel like video is a priority for photographers).
I'm not yet "baffled" and wouldn't assume anything about AF either. I'm willing to wait several weeks for more information.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-22-2020 at 06:54 AM.
07-22-2020, 06:22 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

I'm sure they had plenty of K-1 or K-P tilt screens piled up in the parts bin at Cebu that they could have used, at very little expense or effort.
I am doubtful of that.

Most companies try to have as little in inventory as possible.
07-22-2020, 06:31 AM   #81
Pentaxian

I don't think so, this would very much have changed essential parts of this body design and ergonomics. However, I have no inside knowledge, but as all components - processor, imaging engine, AF etc. - are new developments there could be an "easy" transfer of some of them to a wider variety of models without that much development time and costs. I think it is a given to assume a K-1III, a K-PII and maybe a 645ZII. If this model is succesful and they can keep their Pentax line alive.
07-22-2020, 06:40 AM   #82
Pentaxian

The improvements already mentioned in that video do make the K-new look very interesting, and hopefully there will be more to come..

Philip

07-22-2020, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #83
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
They are trying to differentiate Pentax from everyone else by over emphasizing the shooting experience - the photographer camera interface.
Thanks - another excellent summary!
07-22-2020, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That silver D-FA* 70-200 would look great with a Super Program...
07-22-2020, 07:10 AM   #85
Pentaxian

I'm pretty sure the omission of the moving screen is due to the product goals. You can't make a camera that feels great with a moving screen (at least as they are now). The recent fuji x100v screen is the only one that comes close but it's to fragile feeling/looking so it would also be detrimental to the feel of the product. After the K-5 Pentax cameras have been designed with various bumps and additions that don't look to great. They appear to have tamed the mess again with the knew, it's back to the solid looking block.

Anyone considering a KP or K-1 screen a great addition to this body should have another look and another think. The KP screen is rather cheap and ugly looking. I wouldn't be surprised if they planned to have a fixed screen for the KP but lost nerve and added a tilt screen quite late. The KP looks good but the screen lets it down design wise. A K-1 screen on this camera would turn it into a mutant freak.
07-22-2020, 07:13 AM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The big potential news would seem to be the image quality/low ISO function. Beyond that, some minor tweaks, but nothing mentioned that is likely to make me switch from the KP. That would take either better image quality, or better focusing, which wasn't mentioned.

On the silver lens front, maybe a good way for them to increase revenue at low cost. Beyond that, no interest to me at all.
07-22-2020, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #87
Pentaxian

I'm waiting for actual specs, user reviews, & so forth & so on. Hopefully sometime this year.

It's pretty bold of them to claim that this is the most advanced APS-C DSLR camera. I guess we'll see once reviewers & users get their hands on it. I'll be damned if DPR proclaims this as the most amazing APS-C DSLR body EVAR! Hahaha!

One only knows that most review sites will slam this camera even further if it doesn't yield the proclaimed "expectancies".
07-22-2020, 07:24 AM - 5 Likes   #88

I for one am actually enjoying these videos quite a bit. Yeah, they aren't super revealing, but I like that Pentax is trying to have a conversation with its users/fans. I appreciate their vision and have to say that one of the main reasons I've tried to stay loyal to the brand is because of ergonomics. Every Pentax camera I've been fortunate to own has been a joy to use. They are comfortable in my large hands, functions/dials/buttons are intuitive and responsive, and I admit they are fun to operate. I expect the new APS-C camera to be no different, perhaps even better. Therefore, from that perspective, I understand what Ricoh is trying to market and while I do think some of it is a bit fluffy and transparent from a marketing standpoint, I also admit that there is a sizable element of logic and truth that makes it effective. These videos prove there is sincerity in this vision.

I have been hoping for a fully articulating screen, in fact, up until the initial photos surfaced, I was assuming it was a no-brainer. I assumed, incorrectly, that the K-1 design would be incorporated into the next APS-C release, which was very exciting to me. I hadn't even considered a new model without one. Therefore, I was very surprised and disappointed when those first photos appeared. But, I am not blind; the new model clearly lacks an articulated screen and all the video does is remind us of that fact. Ricoh's vision I also think explains WHY. So, you win some, you lose some; there are no perfect products. My other feature hopes (in no particular order) were GPS, Bluetooth, improved high-sensitivity performance, improved AF performance, and a larger buffer. Though, I will say that no GPS AND no articulating screen will be a tough pill to swallow.

The silver bodies are gorgeous and I've always wanted a silver Pentax. If I decide to replace my K-3 with the new APS-C and if they are going to release black and silver simultaneously, then silver it will likely be because I will likely be an early adopter. I am curious about the silver paint and how resistant it is to scratches, however.

Looking forward to the next tease...
07-22-2020, 07:31 AM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The silver version of the K-New seems to be a production version. The model name is taped...
07-22-2020, 07:42 AM - 5 Likes   #90

I think what Pentax/Ricoh is doing here is very smart. I think they realize that the overall camera market is declining rapidly and they are a niche player in that declining market. Rather than trying to compete with the dominant competitors by developing yet another mirrorless system, they are focusing on what they do well—DSLRs and the GR compact—and developing products and marketing towards the DSLR's advantages over the newer mirrorless designs. Rather similar to the way Leica markets its rangefinder cameras against DSLRs and mirrorless cameras. For example, Leica never offered an APS-C or full frame DSLR to compete with the big boys (Canon and Nikon), but instead focused on its rangefinder, medium format DSLR, and full frame mirrorless systems. Leica focuses on the experience of using the M models and in particular shooting through the viewfinder. Pentax's marketing is similar in concept.
p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
Closed Thread