Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 944 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2020, 09:24 AM - 2 Likes   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I think the silver is kind of tacky. If AF is level with the best Nikon and Canon offerings Pentax may be able to lure some people over who don't want to go mirrorless. No articulating lcd is not suitable for my kind of photography, so it is a pass for me on this one.
You have the right to feel that way, but some of us disagree. My wife thought at first that my "'silver' KP" was my "Super Program", and I felt very good that she was confused.

07-22-2020, 09:33 AM   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I'm pretty sure the omission of the moving screen is due to the product goals. You can't make a camera that feels great with a moving screen (at least as they are now). The recent fuji x100v screen is the only one that comes close but it's to fragile feeling/looking so it would also be detrimental to the feel of the product.
I don't even notice the movable LCD on my KP. The only damage my KP has suffered so far came to the flash unit - which I have never used, and now will never use
{I accidentally glued it shut while repairing the damage}
07-22-2020, 09:41 AM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I'm pretty sure the omission of the moving screen is due to the product goals. You can't make a camera that feels great with a moving screen (at least as they are now). The recent fuji x100v screen is the only one that comes close but it's to fragile feeling/looking so it would also be detrimental to the feel of the product. After the K-5 Pentax cameras have been designed with various bumps and additions that don't look to great. They appear to have tamed the mess again with the knew, it's back to the solid looking block.

Anyone considering a KP or K-1 screen a great addition to this body should have another look and another think. The KP screen is rather cheap and ugly looking. I wouldn't be surprised if they planned to have a fixed screen for the KP but lost nerve and added a tilt screen quite late. The KP looks good but the screen lets it down design wise. A K-1 screen on this camera would turn it into a mutant freak.
Yeah, not sure I agree with this at all.

I'm not a huge fan of the ergonomics on my KP. But that's largely because I'd prefer a bigger body, nothing to do with the screen. The ergonomics on my K-1 were great, with a movable screen. And while my 645z is huge and heavy, it also grips well and has a movable screen.

Same thing with the D500 and D850. They both feel great and include a pivoting screen.

But we're beating a dead horse here. I'd have preferred one, but it's pretty clear it is not going to have one.
07-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #109

Photos: Albums
"most advanced APS-C flagship"

Most advanced how? To me it means "better than the 7D mk II or the D500" so can we truly expect burst performance better than 10FPS, RAW buffer more than 200 frames, RAW+JPEG buffer better than 27 frames? If so, count me in.

What does "most advanced" mean to you?

07-22-2020, 09:59 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64 Quote

Most advanced how? To me it means "better than the 7D mk II or the D500" so can we truly expect burst performance better than 10FPS, RAW buffer more than 200 frames, RAW+JPEG buffer better than 27 frames? If so, count me in.

More advanced than the k3 or kp. Fps, af, viewfinder etc

AF and fps will likely be just behind the D500 and 7d mark ii.
07-22-2020, 10:11 AM   #111
Pentaxian

Most advanced=it’s new.
SR will be eons ahead of CaNikon DSLRs.
07-22-2020, 10:31 AM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just got around to looking at the controls layout on the new camera. I likey, a LOT! Not at all too cramped and the AF button looks to be properly placed which was my biggest issue with the KP.

07-22-2020, 10:32 AM - 2 Likes   #113
Loyal Site Supporter

More advanced than the K3II until I'm shown otherwise.
07-22-2020, 10:36 AM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did anyone pick up on what Mr Wakashiro said when they were discussing the DA*85? He mentioned that they planned to market the 85 soon. So my take is that this video was finalized several months ago and that would put the K-new in the hands of testers around the world by now. I think the K-new is very close to introduction and sale.

Apologies if this has been mentioned earlier as i have not read all the comments yet as I was starting and stopping the video to completely read and re-read the subtitles.
07-22-2020, 10:38 AM - 11 Likes   #115
Pentaxian

That was good entertainment. It's nice to know there will be something when my K-3 dies.

I have honestly picked up my K3 thinking it was my K-1 on numerous occasions. When I do get this, it will be the silver version.

I notice the rear screen was not functional.... good news or us tilt screen dudes, it means that part of the camera isn't finalized yet.

All new AF and shutter components.
Incredible that some would post no "AF or FPS" developments. What? You think they paid good money for new components with the same specs as the old ones? You guys are hilarious.

All in all, that was fun. I don't know what they done, but I know what they were trying to accomplish. That in itself is quite informative. SO much for Pentax doesn't do marketing. Someone show me where someone else has made their head camera body designer available for an interview. When will all those other camera companies catch up with Pentax marketing?

It's such a treat to see such positive engaged people.
07-22-2020, 10:40 AM   #116
Pentaxian

To me, it means that it will at least trounce the Canon 90D & Nikon D7500 by a long shot. I'm expecting AF performance to be much better than the AF performance of the 90D & D7500, plus all the Pentax flagship features that it should have.

I have a feeling that the video is going to be very lacking, but I'm hoping that my video peeps get some much better video than before. I personally don't care how much effort they placed into the video, but it would be nice if they did place more effort into the video for those that want to do video. I'm only interested in the AF performance & stills part for myself.
07-22-2020, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #117
Pentaxian

Looking forward to more specs, but the manager did say everything is new and it has the latest sensor. Public Sony site has IMX571 as latest APS-C, but there may be newer that isn't in the public view.

Nice that the SD card order has been reversed: in my K-1 the #1 slot is at the back and more difficult to access. Not sure if I have a preference for black or silver, but some some will care.
Attached Images

07-22-2020, 10:44 AM   #118
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got a feeling that they hybrid viewfinder exists...
The guy said it was like his life's work achievement or something like that... it's going to be so kick-ass!
07-22-2020, 10:53 AM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did I imagine it, or did the auto-translate refer to the new model as the 'AP'?
07-22-2020, 11:01 AM - 6 Likes   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really enjoyed the video, these guys are so passionate about it! Camera nerds, excited about their camera, so good!

---------- Post added 07-22-20 at 02:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's such a treat to see such positive engaged people.
Oh my goodness this. This was a boost of positivity I didn't realize I needed in my day. These guys are a treat to watch. I'm in a technical field, and one of my favourite things is to get into conversations where people go into great (positive) detail about why something is great. This ticked some boxes.
Closed Thread