Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 944 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2020, 12:44 PM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
He was talking about marketing the silver version of the DFA* 85.
Suit yourself.

07-22-2020, 12:47 PM - 2 Likes   #137
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
It's a chuckle to me to read all the comments and excitement about the silver and black camera body. If my memory serves me, it used to be (way back when) that silver/black SLR bodies were for consumers and all-black bodies were for the pros. Guys wanted all-black to "look pro."

Also, why all the dither over the silver and black? Do you care what color your electric drill is? It's a tool. Isn't the camera also just a tool?

What am I missing? Is it just because I'm a grouchy old man? Yeah, probably. Okay, I've answered my own question. You should just ignore all the preceding stuff.
Back in those days, a silver body was aluminium, a black body was enameled brass. There was more going on with black bodies than just the paint. The brass bodies were more robust. Now it's just different coloured plastic, so it is purely about looks.
07-22-2020, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's why I think a movable screen is very important. If you want to take shots from really unusual frames of reference to try to create images with very novel perspectives, such as right from the ground in a way that exaggerates things so they look different than how we normally see them, it is extremely hard to do so without lying on the ground. A movable screen would dramatically simplify it. So, if it's not there, it's a really big disappointment on what appears to be an otherwise very promising camera (at least from the little we saw this morning). It's just hard for me to imagine that in 2020 you could have a flagship camera without one.

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I have articulating or "flippy screens" on all my Pentax cameras. On my old KS2's and K-50 I used it a few times since I was doing a lot more macro shooting on hikes. I don't recall using it at all on my K70's, not sure why except I haven't needed to, and only twice so far on the K1 and again on a hike. Since I don't plan to sell off my other cameras I'll still have one at least, almost certainly one of the compact and light K70's, for those field trips where I generally carry two cameras anyway.

I'm personally not concerned if the K-New doesn't have one too, altho I could certainly understand that if it was the only camera you were going to own you may think you "might need it someday". I'm sure Pentax didn't make the decision lightly so it's quite likely you would have to give something else up from the new camera in order to have the flippy screen

---------- Post added 07-22-20 at 03:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

I notice the rear screen was not functional.... good news or us tilt screen dudes, it means that part of the camera isn't finalized yet.
Do you really think at this point that that's the case?
07-22-2020, 01:09 PM - 2 Likes   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
I really, really liked the look of my storm trooper K50 with storm trooper kit lens. But I guess black is probably a bit more "pro" looking. No problem with black K-70 or KP.
Looking like a pro is probably a conceit that costs you more than it gains you. Try to get into a sporting event with a pro-style black camera with a 70-200mm lens and unless you have a press pass you're probably going to get rejected. But an orange K-30 with a DA Limited? Oh yes, go right in, take whatever you want, you're not a serious photographer cutting into our official revenues.

07-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #140
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Here's why I think a movable screen is very important. If you want to take shots from really unusual frames of reference to try to create images with very novel perspectives, such as right from the ground in a way that exaggerates things so they look different than how we normally see them, it is extremely hard to do so without lying on the ground. A movable screen would dramatically simplify it. So, if it's not there, it's a really big disappointment on what appears to be an otherwise very promising camera (at least from the little we saw this morning). It's just hard for me to imagine that in 2020 you could have a flagship camera without one.
Oh I don't disagree there could be times where having one would be more than convenient. My comment was strictly as if applies to me who has little use for one.

It's not a make or break for me, I have cameras with it now where it's so rarely used, but if I need it I have it. For those into insects and macro or maybe regularly shooting over fences it might be more useful. To be honest I could do without focus peaking too, something else I almost never use tho I expect that feature is in practice used far more often than flippy screens.

Seeing as all Pentax DSLR's in the past several years has included one you would have to presume there's very good reasons for the K-new to omit it.
07-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #141
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
The silver one is an older prototype. You can see it still has the old joystick.

I believe they moved the SR button to the left side anyway (?)
I don't remember silver prototype
07-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #142
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't remember silver prototype
No - I mean it's the same version as the old black prototype. just in a silver colour. They have since updated the prototypes joystick..

07-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
It's a chuckle to me to read all the comments and excitement about the silver and black camera body. If my memory serves me, it used to be (way back when) that silver/black SLR bodies were for consumers and all-black bodies were for the pros. Guys wanted all-black to "look pro."

Also, why all the dither over the silver and black? Do you care what color your electric drill is? It's a tool. Isn't the camera also just a tool?

What am I missing? Is it just because I'm a grouchy old man? Yeah, probably. Okay, I've answered my own question. You should just ignore all the preceding stuff.
I used to like the yellow tools but now I think the grey ones are better.
07-22-2020, 01:40 PM   #144
Pentaxian

I saw it ...

... the new K-new seems to be very fast. I liked it!
07-22-2020, 01:41 PM - 2 Likes   #145
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
The silver one is an older prototype. You can see it still has the old joystick.

I believe they moved the SR button to the left side anyway (?)
Maybe my memory is bad but I don’t remember an external SR button since the K10D. What’s the purpose of adding a button (unless to tuen off SR with improved video)?
07-22-2020, 01:41 PM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Back in those days, a silver body was aluminium, a black body was enameled brass. There was more going on with black bodies than just the paint. The brass bodies were more robust. Now it's just different coloured plastic, so it is purely about looks.
Ah! Thank you for that information, Wheatfield. I did not know that.
07-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #147
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Fairly certain my 'silver' MX is chromed brass, not aluminium...
07-22-2020, 01:51 PM - 3 Likes   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Looking like a pro is probably a conceit that costs you more than it gains you. Try to get into a sporting event with a pro-style black camera with a 70-200mm lens and unless you have a press pass you're probably going to get rejected. But an orange K-30 with a DA Limited? Oh yes, go right in, take whatever you want, you're not a serious photographer cutting into our official revenues.
If there's one issue with the K-1 it's that it screams "I'm serious stuff". It has way too many dials for an 'amateur' camera.
07-22-2020, 02:15 PM - 6 Likes   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
When they say "most advanced" it can't just be incrementally better than a K-3 or a KP.
You have to remember that Pentax exists in a separate universe to the rest of the camera industry - that's what reviewers etc fail to understand
07-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #150
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Fairly certain my 'silver' MX is chromed brass, not aluminium...
Ditto for me. The top and bottom plates, and mount are chromed brass. The back door is steel but I think the frame may be aluminium.
Closed Thread