Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 944 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
You have to remember that Pentax exists in a separate universe to the rest of the camera industry - that's what reviewers etc fail to understand
I mean these are two pentax people talking to each other about the brand. I loved the video, but you know, grain of salt and what not. You talk to a person promoting a product, of course their brand is the best. I *do* actually think Pentax gear is class leading in a lot of ways.

07-22-2020, 03:03 PM - 3 Likes   #152
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Fairly certain my 'silver' MX is chromed brass, not aluminium...
Sand a corner of it and see what color is below the silver color.
07-22-2020, 03:07 PM - 2 Likes   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
But they were talking about everything except specs. It was the grip, the tactility of switches, the viewfinder, the feedback and sound of the mirror - concepts completely alien to those who have never picked up a recent high end Pentax. Not how many fps, not now many af points, not can I do 4k video. Different universe altogether - we know it will do fantastic stills, no doubting that, we know it will hold onto iq as you go up through the ISO range, we can guess that it will feel amazing in hand and through the ovf purely by the reverence that the interviewer was showing the prototype. All good so far.
07-22-2020, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
But they were talking about everything except specs. It was the grip, the tactility of switches, the viewfinder, the feedback and sound of the mirror - concepts completely alien to those who have never picked up a recent high end Pentax. Not how many fps, not now many af points, not can I do 4k video. Different universe altogether - we know it will do fantastic stills, no doubting that, we know it will hold onto iq as you go up through the ISO range, we can guess that it will feel amazing in hand and through the ovf purely by the reverence that the interviewer was showing the prototype. All good so far.
Honestly I'm more interested in the OVF quality than a plus/minus 1 fps or 2 or 3 more megapixels. It's a Pentax APS-C high-grade camera, the KP and K-3 are already excellent, they really cannot go wrong!

07-22-2020, 03:39 PM   #155
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Here's why I think a movable screen is very important. If you want to take shots from really unusual frames of reference to try to create images with very novel perspectives, such as right from the ground in a way that exaggerates things so they look different than how we normally see them, it is extremely hard to do so without lying on the ground. A movable screen would dramatically simplify it. So, if it's not there, it's a really big disappointment on what appears to be an otherwise very promising camera (at least from the little we saw this morning). It's just hard for me to imagine that in 2020 you could have a flagship camera without one.

---------- Post added 07-22-20 at 03:58 PM ----------

Do you really think at this point that that's the case?
I don't think anything. But I also don't go to the bank with probabilities. Banks don't accept "probable income" they want real money, I don't accept probable camera features. When the specs are announced, I'll agree that's what they are.
07-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Leica's Digital Modul R would like a word with you...

QuoteOriginally posted by AAlfano Quote
For example, Leica never offered an APS-C or full frame DSLR to compete with the big boys (Canon and Nikon), but instead focused on its rangefinder, medium format DSLR, and full frame mirrorless systems. Leica focuses on the experience of using the M models and in particular shooting through the viewfinder. Pentax's marketing is similar in concept.
p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
Not that they didn't try to be creative...
Leica?s DIGITAL-MODUL-R; Powerful, But Pricey Leica SLR Digital Back Arrives | Shutterbug
07-22-2020, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #157
Veteran Member

I'm not too fussy. I just hope the autofocus will be truly competitive and the battery life will be 2-3 times that of the KP.

07-22-2020, 04:05 PM - 2 Likes   #158
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I'm not too fussy. I just hope the autofocus will be truly competitive and the battery life will be 2-3 times that of the KP.
It may not be the camera, it may be your technique...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/203-pentax-kp/378223-pentax-kp-experienc...ml#post5043306

Just saying
07-22-2020, 04:27 PM - 6 Likes   #159
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Somebody in the Pentaxians Facebook group noticed this about YouTube's automatic caption generating 'service': Very gangsta, that product development executive ...
Attached Images

07-22-2020, 04:29 PM - 4 Likes   #160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just Hold A Pentax” revisited*. It’s a long-term corporate value, but you have to be fairly old to know that - it was the advertising slogan in the sixties.

* the SV referenced in the linked article is silky smoth and has a sublime shutter. I will always hang onto both of mine and one or two Takumars just so I can take an SV out for a walk now and then.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-22-2020 at 05:38 PM.
07-22-2020, 04:31 PM - 4 Likes   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really liked these guys talk about this kind of ergonomic stuff, and be so into it. This can get a bit lost with people chasing numbers. My K3 is already an incredible machine... pretty much every camera is these days. I know this was a real "easy pitch" interview, but that stuck with me, these guys really are working on the feel of the body.
07-22-2020, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #162
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Ditto for me. The top and bottom plates, and mount are chromed brass. The back door is steel but I think the frame may be aluminium.
I might stand corrected on that. I was told that something like half a century ago and it stuck with me.
07-22-2020, 04:42 PM - 3 Likes   #163
Veteran Member

If it nails the weaving approaching bicycle test maybe DPR will award it a silver.

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I'm waiting for actual specs, user reviews, & so forth & so on. Hopefully sometime this year.

It's pretty bold of them to claim that this is the most advanced APS-C DSLR camera. I guess we'll see once reviewers & users get their hands on it. I'll be damned if DPR proclaims this as the most amazing APS-C DSLR body EVAR! Hahaha!

One only knows that most review sites will slam this camera even further if it doesn't yield the proclaimed "expectancies".
07-22-2020, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #164
Pentaxian

I'm excited about it, even without specs. I came to Pentax for the things they seem to be really talking about as a brand value now, so I'm happy. I don't care about flippy screen, especially if I can tether it to a phone or iPad.

I'd like an AF improvement and I expect that we will see one. I don't have to be better than someone else, because I am not going to jump ship as long as they are staying true to the brand and putting out good products. Honestly, I might not jump ship even if they weren't. I could pick up a used K1 and send my K5 off to get a refresh and probably shoot happily until I die...along with my MX and my Program Plus, of course.
07-22-2020, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It may not be the camera, it may be your technique...
Pentax KP experience... 3 weeks and 3500 clicks later - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com

Just saying
Battery rating is using the pop-up flash every 2 shots and with a standardized test. If you shoot continuously and disable the screen you'll get much higher than the rated value for example. I've gotten anywhere between 200 to 1500 in the K-1.

But the fact is, the KP has a smaller battery - if the power consumption is similar (it should) the K_new should last a good bit longer.
Closed Thread