Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 944 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2020, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #211

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
Sorry may be I to conservative Can you explaining to me why camera need video option
From my point view we have super nice video camcorder May be more reasonable add more another option vs video.
Let me explain my point of view.

I need to make stills (photos), but I also need to make videos.
Mostly short ones, but sometimes I would love to be able to record full day of a conference.
I earn more money on videos then stills and because of my work that will only change in one direction - more videos.

Cheap video camera is not good enough in dim light.

Mirrorless might be a good option, but their video quality is poor comparing to BlackMagic 6K, or they are way to expensive with a set of lenses that I already have for Pentax.

So why I need good video in Pentax DSLR?
  1. I already own lot's of good lenses.
  2. I do not want to carry (size and weight) other system lenses.
  3. I do not want to pay for other system lenses.
  4. I could addapt Pentax lenses to other system but:
    1. There is no adapter for KAF4 lenses.
    2. There is no adapter with working AF for Pentax lenses.
I know, that video with DSLR means lot's of compromise.My dilema right now is:

• Buy BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K and
    • do not buy new KAF4 lenses (because I will not be able to use them - no stop down).
    • buy EF lenses for new BMPCC 6K
    • try to work with Pentax K -> EF adapter (rotate the lens to stop it down )

• Or hope for good enought quality 4k recording of k-new so I can spend my money on K-new + new KAF4 lenses.

I would prefer to have good enought 4K videos from Pentax, so I can spend my money on Pentax, but who knows.

07-23-2020, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I don't think we can say that the K-new is the most advanced APS-C flagship. However, as the interview explains it will have a significant improvement over and above the current Pentax DSLRs. Maybe it won't be as good as the D500. To me hitting the D500 level is a different level. I believe the K-new is in the D7500 level. An advanced enthusiast camera.
The KP is already better than the D500/D7500 in regards to a bunch of things: more resolution, IBIS, smaller (the D500 is bigger than the K-1), has perspective correction, has pixel shift, has access to astrotracer (the K-new will most likely have GPS so this will be native), has access to more than 2 APS-C primes, etc.

The K-new will smoke the D7500 and probably be better overall than the D500, it's just not all in the AF and action-related stuff... If the tracking has been improved a fair bit, frame rate is 9 fps instead of 10 and the buffer is 50-60 RAW files instead of the 200 (which admittedly is impressive) of the D500 then the camera will be already be THE APS-C offering.

---------- Post added 07-23-20 at 02:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
An external sr button would have a limited use, say when you put your camera on a tripod but don't want to go into menus, but it would be better if it was another programmable button where turning off sr was an option. Re. Flippy screens, maybe they feel the WiFi/mobile phone option supplants the need. I use my flip screen occasionally and it is nice to have, but deal breaker? For me, nah!
Pentax cameras already deactivate SR automatically when they detect they are on a tripod, though.

It's either for video or the wrote SR for giggles to keep us confounded

---------- Post added 07-23-20 at 02:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
If (as managers of Ricoh said) K-new is the most advanced APS-C DSLR at the market of 2020 year, it must have the same or better specs than D500, for example.
7DII is too old already (2014). D500 is 2016 year launched.

I'm looking forward to compare....

The key specs of D500
Articulated LCD Touch sensitive
Screen size 3.2″
Screen dots 2,359,000
Max shutter speed 1/8000 sec
USB 3.0
Viewfinder coverage 100%
Viewfinder magnification 1×
Continuous drive 10.0 fps
Video 4K (UHD) 30p/25p/24p, 1080/60p/50p/30p/25p/24p, 720/60p/50p
Battery Life (CIPA) 1240
Auto focus 153 point AF module with 99 cross-type points (-4EV for the center point)
Buffer depths - 200 lossless compressed 14-bit Raw

I want to know specs of K-new....very much. We can see now that no articulated LCD in K-new...But it has better OVF than D500.
As for me tilting screen is not problem, but it could help in various situations. Better to have than not to have.
Max shutter speed will be at least the same for sure, LCD will most likely be touch-sensitive since there's the sensor under the OVF. IQ will be better than D500 because the KP was already on par (or a touch better). The D500's IBIS, astrotracer, pixel shift and size are menu sanity all lacking slightly, though
The only question is whether the AF is in range (thus smoking the D500) or noticeably behind (thus the K-new being less undisputedly the best all terrain APS-C camera in the market )
07-23-2020, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #213
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BlackTea Quote
I would prefer to have good enought 4K videos from Pentax, so I can spend my money on Pentax, but who knows.
I had the same dilemma a year ago, and ended up with the Panasonic G9, as 4K video is all I need for what I am doing in video for work. I have kept my K-3 and Pentax lenses for my stills photography for my hobby.

K-new may have good enough video for me to sell the G9, but we will see. Right tool for the right job is the attitude I take for work related requirements, but I am an engineer not a photographer at work.
07-23-2020, 02:48 AM   #214
Pentaxian

Mostly short ones, but sometimes I would love to be able to record full day of a conference.
I earn more money on videos then stills and because of my work that will only change in one direction - more videos.

Mirrorless might be a good option, but their video quality is poor comparing to BlackMagic 6K, or they are way to expensive with a set of lenses that I already have for Pentax.

• do not buy new KAF4 lenses (because I will not be able to use them - no stop down).

• Or hope for good enought quality 4k recording of k-new so I can spend my money on K-new + new KAF4 lenses.

Full day at the conference does not sound like you would be able to do with any hybrid or DSLR. Have you considered BMPCC4K? You can use Pentax lenses for that too(not KAF4, but older, yes)

It is quite likely that there will be 4K in this new camera, as there is also 4K with latest GR. but it is always a compromise.

07-23-2020, 03:06 AM   #215
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Sand a corner of it and see what color is below the silver color.
Where there are wear marks - strap clip and edge near tripod mount, the 'aluminium' has a rather brassy colour...
07-23-2020, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #216
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Somebody in the Pentaxians Facebook group noticed this about YouTube's automatic caption generating 'service': Very gangsta, that product development executive ...
Yeah, saw that one. Fortunately I wasn't drinking at the time.
07-23-2020, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The KP is already better than the D500/D7500 in regards to a bunch of things: more resolution, IBIS, smaller (the D500 is bigger than the K-1), has perspective correction, has pixel shift, has access to astrotracer (the K-new will most likely have GPS so this will be native), has access to more than 2 APS-C primes, etc.

The K-new will smoke the D7500 and probably be better overall than the D500, it's just not all in the AF and action-related stuff... If the tracking has been improved a fair bit, frame rate is 9 fps instead of 10 and the buffer is 50-60 RAW files instead of the 200 (which admittedly is impressive) of the D500 then the camera will be already be THE APS-C offering.

---------- Post added 07-23-20 at 02:34 AM ----------

Pentax cameras already deactivate SR automatically when they detect they are on a tripod, though.

It's either for video or the wrote SR for giggles to keep us confounded

---------- Post added 07-23-20 at 02:42 AM ----------

Max shutter speed will be at least the same for sure, LCD will most likely be touch-sensitive since there's the sensor under the OVF. IQ will be better than D500 because the KP was already on par (or a touch better). The D500's IBIS, astrotracer, pixel shift and size are menu sanity all lacking slightly, though
The only question is whether the AF is in range (thus smoking the D500) or noticeably behind (thus the K-new being less undisputedly the best all terrain APS-C camera in the market )
I agree. There is no numerical value determining "most advanced". Isn't this exactly what they wanted to transport with the videos? It probably will be a very good camera in regard to the interface and ergonomy. It probably will meet a D500 in some numerical values (resolution, fps, buffer, max shutter speed, maybe even AF points...), but these can be discussed by armchair photographers in blogs and at semijournalistic newssites. It is more about the ergonomy. Reading the article on the comparison of the Z5, EOS RP, Sony A7II I am getting the feeling that I would not see any advantage in owning one of these for my photography. Looking at the ergonomy, speed and even resolution the K-new might be a way better choice and I'm pretty sure that in this regard APS-C will deliver better IQ than these entry level FF-MILC.

07-23-2020, 03:28 AM   #218
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Compared to what other cameras?
Pentax will tell you in due time
07-23-2020, 03:30 AM   #219
Pentaxian

Just one remark: I would not be so sure about the GPS (correctly GNSS) in the new model. The space below the prism housing was traditionally either used for a flash, GPS or - maybe - a larger prism with the qualities described for this viewfinder...
07-23-2020, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Better than D500.
more better than K-1,K3II.
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
The price refers to the launch price of the same level model:
D500 2000$
7D2 1799$
XH1 1900$
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
'Most advanced' needs to be relative - it applies to the current Pentax lineup, more than to the rest of the camera industry.

Pentax just doesn't have access to the same industrial resources as Sony/Canon/Nikon/Panasonic/Fuji, so I am pretty sure it would have to be a false claim (on technical features or performance) that the K-new were the most advanced APS-C in the market. There's the D7500, 90D, even XT-4 out there in APS-C which are packed with very modern tech that the K-new has to outdo if it were to really claim the title of 'most advanced' APS-C.

Which is not to say that being first in tech is being best. There's lots of other things that make a great camera, which Pentax certainly understands.
It certainly seems that OoKU is suggesting that this isn't relative to the Pentax model line, it's among all APS-C cameras. Relative to Pentax would be pretty silly, that's like saying a 2021 Audi is more advanced than a 2015 Audi. It certainly should be!

That's the target in both overall features and price: top of the line APS-C for any manufacturer.
07-23-2020, 03:59 AM   #221
Pentaxian

In the days of film, no one would think of attempting to take movies with a 35mm camera. Although the media can be the same today, the needs are vastly different. You are much better off getting a camcorder, a camera optimized to take video, to take video. Anything made by Pentax will be optimized for still shots, and video will be a compromise within that structure at best.
07-23-2020, 04:00 AM   #222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K10 was the most advanced APS camera at its release. So was the K-3. The Nikon people were saying this was something Nikon should do - The Nikon D400.....
07-23-2020, 04:01 AM - 4 Likes   #223
Pentaxian

To me it doesn't matter if it's the most advanced APS-C camera of the year or not. What's important to me is, is there a huge improvement over the other Pentax cameras. Will the sensor be at par with the other brands? Will it perform much better than what I'm expecting? All these to me are answered by "YES". As far as I'm concerned that will do for me.

Will I buy this camera if I have the budget? YES!!! As a matter of fact probably 3 units. 1 for my son, 1 for my daughter and please don't tell my wife, 1 for me.
Just kidding, my wife won't complain if I get one for myself.
07-23-2020, 04:02 AM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
That's the target in both overall features and price: top of the line APS-C for any manufacturer.
I hope that is true. The Pentax engineers smarts and camera experience are certainly not to be discounted.

But with the K-new, Ricoh will need to pull some pretty big 'rabbits out of the hat' to reach or exceed the technology level of many of the best modern APS-C's, particularly in AF and video.
07-23-2020, 04:05 AM   #225
Veteran Member

I may well have missed it but do we have an idea yet of what the sensor does between the OVF and the screen?
Closed Thread