Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 944 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2020, 04:11 AM   #226
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I may well have missed it but do we have an idea yet of what the sensor does between the OVF and the screen?
We have been informed that it turns the screen off but we don't if that's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth But it probably is.

07-23-2020, 04:19 AM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
We have been informed that it turns the screen off but we don't if that's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth But it probably is.

Seems a bit (quite a bit actually) overkill just to turn off the screen.
07-23-2020, 04:20 AM   #228
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Better than D500.
more better than K-1,K3II.
WOW!!!! Cool
07-23-2020, 04:21 AM   #229
Veteran Member

Seems a bit (quite a bit actually) overkill just to turn off the screen.
Not if it's a touch screen.

07-23-2020, 04:23 AM - 2 Likes   #230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I may well have missed it but do we have an idea yet of what the sensor does between the OVF and the screen?
It is a nose screen activation preventing device ....
07-23-2020, 04:34 AM   #231

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Full day at the conference does not sound like you would be able to do with any hybrid or DSLR. Have you considered BMPCC4K? You can use Pentax lenses for that too(not KAF4, but older, yes)

It is quite likely that there will be 4K in this new camera, as there is also 4K with latest GR. but it is always a compromise.
Yes, I was going to buy BMPCC4K, but before I decided and it was available - BlackMagic released BMPCC6K.
I personally think, that IF i were to spend money on video camera it has to be future-proof - so I would rather buy 6K version.
(Unless it will be important for me to use 2 cameras at the same time).

I'm waiting for K-new and hoping that it will have good enough video for me.
As for the stills - I can bet I'll be more then happy with K-new.
07-23-2020, 04:39 AM   #232
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In the days of film, no one would think of attempting to take movies with a 35mm camera. Although the media can be the same today, the needs are vastly different. You are much better off getting a camcorder, a camera optimized to take video, to take video. Anything made by Pentax will be optimized for still shots, and video will be a compromise within that structure at best.

I agree, none of the dslr/mirrorless cameras are optimized for video, they all have the wrong form factor. Unfortunately, proper video cameras cost a lot more, 3,000USD at the minimum, easily 10,000USD for more fully featured options (and they are still referred to as budget!) So for those of us who don't have that much money, we're left hunting for the best video quality despite the compromises.

Personally I'm not invested in 4k, but good quality matters. Such as 4:2:2 10bit internally recorded video. We're all used to the flexibility of raw images but video is often too compressed to offer sufficient latitude to color correct and grade.

I've ended up using a GH3 with my pentax lenses adapted, hoping to upgrade to a GH5 further down the road. Unfortunately, yes, it's a basket of compromises. The K-new is likely not going to match that, but fuji managed to go from poor to fantastic video quality, so here's hoping to the possibility of fewer compromises and better compatability

07-23-2020, 04:46 AM   #233

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In the days of film, no one would think of attempting to take movies with a 35mm camera. Although the media can be the same today, the needs are vastly different. You are much better off getting a camcorder, a camera optimized to take video, to take video. Anything made by Pentax will be optimized for still shots, and video will be a compromise within that structure at best.
It would be hard to not agree with You.
I would even say, that most MILC are optimized for stills, but I'm willing to compromise because of:
  • costs
  • I'm not going to carry gear for 2 systems
07-23-2020, 04:51 AM - 9 Likes   #234
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
The price refers to the launch price of the same level model:
D500 2000$
7D2 1799$
XH1 1900$
The oracle foresees an unlimited amount of gnashing of the teeth, stomping of the feet and hammering of little fists on the floor, because of modern "flagship" pricing.

There shall be childish price comparisons coming of MSRP versus old cameras' street price after multiple years.
There shall be endless thread injections about "it is not a flagship, because ...

• it doesnt come out in pink
  • it doesnt have a dedicated video switch
  • the framerate is less than 20 FPS
  • it has no flippy screen
  • it has no 8k video
  • it has no amateur pop up flash
  • it has no USH-99 card slot, not even three of them
  • etc.
Streams of tears flowing down cheeks of armchair experts, all just because they don't have "flagship budgets".

I personally won't buy the K-new because there won't be a kit 8-400 mm F1.4 full frame lens bundled with it for $50 extra. The issue is not me. It is them.
07-23-2020, 05:08 AM   #235
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
Not if it's a touch screen.

Actually yes, even if it has a touch screen, my Canon M5 rear touch screen is turned off with a button and if I remember correctly my D500 (when I had it) was the same as it can only work with liveview or when in menu mode. My M5 has the same sensor next to the viewfinder and the only reason for that is to turn the EVF on when you bring it up to the eye to save power.
07-23-2020, 05:20 AM   #236
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see a pop up flash! GPS/Astrotracer?!?!?
07-23-2020, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #237
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oktyabr Quote
I don't see a pop up flash! GPS/Astrotracer?!?!?
The question is if there's enough room for that now that they've enlarged the viewfinder by engineering a new pentaprism.
07-23-2020, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
The question is if there's enough room for that now that they've enlarged the viewfinder by engineering a new pentaprism.
The way they said stuff, it's that they used a different material, not necessarily a larger prism. The ME for example doesn't have a much bigger "hump" than the KP for example despite being... about 60% bigger?. Of course there are lots of differences between a manual focus SLR and a 2020 tech-packed DSLR so it's not a direct comparison, but let's have hope .
07-23-2020, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #239
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
The oracle foresees an unlimited amount of gnashing of the teeth, stomping of the feet and hammering of little fists on the floor, because of modern "flagship" pricing.

There shall be childish price comparisons coming of MSRP versus old cameras' street price after multiple years.
There shall be endless thread injections about "it is not a flagship, because ...

• it has no 8k video
  • etc.
Streams of tears flowing down cheeks of armchair experts, all just because they don't have "flagship budgets".

I personally won't buy the K-new because there won't be a kit 8-400 mm F1.4 full frame lens bundled with it for $50 extra. The issue is not me. It is them.
You've clearly spent too much time analyzing forum behaviour. It would make me laugh if you were joking, but it's true enough to make a grown man cry.

I have to say, I suspect the cost of this camera will be well out of reach for MSRP for a lot of us. But the good news is, a KP will do nicely, (thank you very much) if that's the case.
07-23-2020, 06:03 AM   #240
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote

• it has no 8k video
  • etc.

... It does have a video switch, though

While there are certainly going to be petty complaints with little to no basis in reality, there are also going to be legitimate complaints; for example the point of MSRP vs street price of equipment released years ago is a perfectly valid point if the older item is better than the new one. Why would I pay, today, 2000+ for a D780 when it's a meager improvement over the D750 that goes for half the price?

That doesn't mean that the K-New won't be better than [Name a competitor] as I've stated before, but a camera doesn't go into a market that rewinds to the competitor's release date. It goes into the market against what the competitor's have on the shelves that day, at that price.
Closed Thread