Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2020, 02:39 PM   #316
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Looking through me Z1, I notice that the Z1 can receive the smartphone's GPS coordinates and tags the images.

Furthering my guess that the K-New is going to be a Z1 in a K-Mount...

I wonder if the new flagship won't have built-in GPS.

I wonder if the new flagship will be able to use a smartphone's GPS to do AstroTracer (like to O-GPS1)?
Astrotracer requires compass direction

07-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #317
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Astrotracer requires compass direction
Your smartphone can tell you what direction you are facing...

Check out the StarWalk app
07-23-2020, 02:47 PM - 3 Likes   #318
Pentaxian

The smartphone might tell you what direction it is facing. It cannot tell you what direction the camera is facing.
07-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #319
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The smartphone might tell you what direction it is facing. It cannot tell you what direction the camera is facing.
Ah, I see - thank you for explaining.
The problem can be solved by a visual calibration, line up the dots shown on your phone by moving the camera...

Nah too hard too complicated... idk :P

07-23-2020, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #320
Pentaxian

Yes but aligning with the camera precisely will be harder, prone to errors and users misuse (and stupid moaning here later).
07-23-2020, 02:54 PM - 2 Likes   #321
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can the problem be sidestepped by a hot-shoe phone holder that *very clearly* says "this side facing user"?

Although considering I almost drop the camera by mounting the tripod plate reversed, I wouldn't trust the method
07-23-2020, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #322
Pentaxian

How about including a compass as precise as a smartphone's?

07-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #323
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some Smart Phones can't do that.
07-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #324
Pentaxian

Looking at the silver version it appears the top plate and prism cover is one piece? This could either mean no gps or a plastic top. What do you think?
07-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #325
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A better tether integration with a smartphone would be nice. I doubt very much that they'll drop GPS, Astrotracer and WiFi off a new flagship. I'm interested in what else will appear on the secondary control dial, I can make out the camera function but the other 2 are indistinct to me. The symbol on the Pentaprism housing behind the secondary control dial is the same that signified GPS in the K-1 I think?
All we know for sure is that it has SR, a better OVF, more tactile buttons, a thumbstick, 8 way buttons where sometimes 4 and there seems to be a sensor to blank out the screen. Add in the usual (for flagship) like dual cards, dual IR, AF light, no pop up flash and a dedicated grip. Coming together nicely as a purposeful Pentax APS-C camera. Looks like a worthy successor to the K-3 series.
07-23-2020, 04:12 PM - 2 Likes   #326
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
...I can make out the camera function but the other 2 are indistinct to me...
Fairly sure they are [Camera] [Liveview] [Video]

...The symbol on the Pentaprism housing behind the secondary control dial is the same that signified GPS in the K-1 I think?...
Do you mean the focal plane mark? (Circle with vertical line) K1 and KP have one in same place, K5 had it on the top plate outside the LCD.
Attached Images

Last edited by phoebus; 07-23-2020 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Added second note
07-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #327
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax Forum interview with Ricoh Imaging at CP+ 2017 touched on manual focusing:

10. A lot of Pentax fans enjoy manual lenses. Have you considered developing an electronic viewfinder or hybrid viewfinder for precise manual focusing?
We are constantly researching ways to evolve the viewfinder. One of our ideas is a hybrid finder. We are also looking into ways to improve current optical viewfinders to that users can enjoy a better experience with manual lenses.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/cpplus-2017/cp-2017-pentax-interview-part-1.html#page_1

And in the current video presentation, Wakashiro-san stated that "[The viewfinder] reproduces the focal point more accurately and clearly, making it easier for you to pinpoint it."

I'm thinking that the new camera will provide for accurate manual focusing, or at least a significant improvement over the current implementation. That would be terrific, and reinforces Ricoh Imaging's appreciation and recognition of users' keen interest in the many excellent older lenses.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 07-23-2020 at 04:28 PM.
07-23-2020, 04:21 PM - 3 Likes   #328
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
FWIW in just 6 months I've gone from a "I'm happy with what I have so no thank you" to a very likely pre-orderer. The K-new is shaping up to be a compelling tool.
07-23-2020, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #329
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm interested in what else will appear on the secondary control dial, I can make out the camera function but the other 2 are indistinct to me.
I find it odd that such a prominent and space-taking dial would be used for only three functions. I wonder whether their design options included a slide switch or a function button to cycle through the three modes. The dial is certainly a direct control, so it will work nicely. However, I also think there is allowance for additional functions to be added later, or in the final release. But I can't imagine what the functions would be!

- Craig
07-23-2020, 04:51 PM - 3 Likes   #330
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Prove me wrong, or maybe stop polluting other threads with your misinformation. I'm not on either side of this. I'll change my mind in a heart beat. But not for the crap evidence opposed to the accelerator and the undeniable evidence on every site that does comparison images. I do find the strength of belief bordering on religious for those who have taken up this cause.
But Norm - it is a non-falsifiable argument. The Accelerator Chip is mathematically shown to alter the processing of the RAW image file. It is entirely theoretical and not observable, but it is objectively scientific. The objective science of the non-observable alteration trumps your subjectively observable lying eyes.*

* I hooe everyone understands the ironic tone.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-23-2020 at 06:00 PM.
Closed Thread