Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2020, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #331
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I find it odd that such a prominent and space-taking dial would be used for only three functions. I wonder whether their design options included a slide switch or a function button to cycle through the three modes. The dial is certainly a direct control, so it will work nicely. However, I also think there is allowance for additional functions to be added later, or in the final release. But I can't imagine what the functions would be!
I imagine the dial works in conjunction with the top LCD panel. It would have room for an additional six positions with each position being user customized and displayed on the LCD. The settings could be similar to those on the K-1 such as HDR, BKT, +/-, Wi Fi etc.

Last edited by BROO; 07-23-2020 at 05:30 PM.
07-23-2020, 05:12 PM - 5 Likes   #332
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
In reading through the thread it seems that the biggest lament is that there is going to be no tilt screen. What a disastrous omission.
Just imagine what Adams, Maplethorpe, Leibovitz, et al could have accomplished if only their cameras had tilt screens!
Pity, really.
Of course Adams and Avedon had till screens on their 8x10 film equipment. Maplethorpe was banned in CIncinatti, how good could he have been? Leibowitz was just an Avedon hanger on.

Around my house I'm known as the inventor of arguments too silly to bother with, don't even try.
07-23-2020, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #333
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think my favorite thing about the video as a whole, is the respectful nature (and this might be more of a cultural thing, that you are exposed to for those who have ever taken Japanese)... There's the point at the very end 24:47 where they are signing off, and they go from relaxed to a formal posture... not because anyone told them to, but instead because it is simply their way and process. It feels very much like Pentax and leadership to be this way. Seems appropriate with the cameras that they come out with, and how they release products. Like many have said (in this video, and the previous one), its rare to see the inner-workings of decisions explained. I think more companies should adopt this approach!

As for me, there were some really good take-aways. The Pentaprism portion doesn't really move the needle, nor does the ISO-IQ improvements too. It feels like very incremental improvements. I'm glad that they're there! But nothing announced so far has made me feel like my K-1/K-3 combination needs an upgrade, or is a notable enough one. One of the most impressive things, is what they have been able to cram into that small amount of space. When I purchased a KP for brother's wife, I continue to be blown away that they packed so so much into a camera so small! People say that one of the main advantage for Mirrorless is size... but the KP is about the same size as my G85/GH5. The fact that it has 2-card slots packed into there is an engineering marvel! It'll be interesting to see what else they happen to jam-pack in there!!

If past is prologue... then I'm guessing wifi will be there, some kind of 3rd wheel (still wondering about the 4th wheel + left mystery button?), and Pixel-Shift/AA-simulator/horizon correction is here to stay. I can really take it or leave Touch-screen capabilities. But if it's not there, why would they need the sensor? I also don't care too much about MegaPixels at this point (24MPs really is enough now) and I feel Pentax does not lack for dynamic range at all. I will say that my time with K-1 has spoiled me a bit with the articulation. Comes in clutch when shooting above a crowd/sports huddle, and low to the ground. The biggest factor for me is AF, FPS, and Buffer... for sports/wildlife/events. Significant improvement in either of those areas is really the only thing that I think will get me to buy anything new. So far, it feels only a slight improvement. As exciting as this is, it very much is making me feel content with the K-1/K-3 combination!
07-23-2020, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #334
dbs
Pentaxian

The 2 videos were entertaining and out of left field for Pentax ( I know of no other since at least being on this forum ).
People are speculating with what as seen on the video it has and not have.
Wait till the real one is revealed / up for sale.
Why have such a big wheel with only 3 indicaters on it, there is room for more, just wait.
In a new twist silver lenses and cameras. They have been busy behind the scenes.
I will need a newer camera if all new lenses are now KAF4 my K5 can not use them fully.
So may the 'doomers' forever hold there peace.

07-23-2020, 07:40 PM   #335
Pentaxian

Frankly I don't like the silver version including all previous silver versions, this silver just look odd to me especially when you compare it with the metal mount. No metal afaik has this color except real silver, and silver is not an attractive color to me, I wonder why Pentax bother to paint silver on real metal body ??
07-23-2020, 07:53 PM   #336
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
The Pentax Forum interview with Ricoh Imaging at CP+ 2017 touched on manual focusing:

10. A lot of Pentax fans enjoy manual lenses. Have you considered developing an electronic viewfinder or hybrid viewfinder for precise manual focusing?
We are constantly researching ways to evolve the viewfinder. One of our ideas is a hybrid finder. We are also looking into ways to improve current optical viewfinders to that users can enjoy a better experience with manual lenses.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/cpplus-2017/cp-2017-pentax-interview-part-1.html#page_1

And in the current video presentation, Wakashiro-san stated that "[The viewfinder] reproduces the focal point more accurately and clearly, making it easier for you to pinpoint it."

I'm thinking that the new camera will provide for accurate manual focusing, or at least a significant improvement over the current implementation. That would be terrific, and reinforces Ricoh Imaging's appreciation and recognition of users' keen interest in the many excellent older lenses.

- Craig
I believe both Ricoh and Canon have patents on hybrid OVFs. I have hopped to see one emerge from someone at some point, but I'm loosing hope that we will ever see one. I thought it might be the one way for DSLRs to ward off the advances of mirrorless. Bring some of the advantages of mirrorless to the DSLR with a hybrid OVF.
07-23-2020, 07:56 PM   #337
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Looking through me Z1, I notice that the Z1 can receive the smartphone's GPS coordinates and tags the images.

Furthering my guess that the K-New is going to be a Z1 in a K-Mount...

I wonder if the new flagship won't have built-in GPS.

I wonder if the new flagship will be able to use a smartphone's GPS to do AstroTracer (like to O-GPS1)?
The astrotracer is pretty precise, I can’t possibly imagine a smart phone not duct taped to your camera could have a hope of doing the same job.

07-23-2020, 08:07 PM   #338
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
The astrotracer is pretty precise, I can’t possibly imagine a smart phone not duct taped to your camera could have a hope of doing the same job.
Ok maybe I got excited
07-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #339
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I believe both Ricoh and Canon have patents on hybrid OVFs. I have hopped to see one emerge from someone at some point, but I'm loosing hope that we will ever see one. I thought it might be the one way for DSLRs to ward off the advances of mirrorless. Bring some of the advantages of mirrorless to the DSLR with a hybrid OVF.
I read somewhere Ricoh has essentially figure out the technology but they haven’t overcome the cost hurdle. Perhaps in a later, more expensive camera, after the costs of these improvements have been amortized we’ll see something. What would logically be announced around CP+ 2022?
07-23-2020, 08:47 PM   #340
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
but norm - it is a non-falsifiable argument. The accelerator chip is mathematically shown to alter the processing of the raw image file. It is entirely theoretical and not observable, but it is objectively scientific. The objective science of the non-observable alteration trumps your subjectively observable lying eyes.*

* i hooe everyone understands the ironic tone.
rotflmao
07-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #341
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm pretty happy with the developments discussed in these videos. I bought into Pentax as a still camera and I expect them to push the SLR still image tech. The new view finder, compact design and image quality are right at the top of my list, but of course I hope it does not stop there. The shutter sounds good, better than the KP.
On the down side, they are still making a song and dance about what colour it is and how it looks. The gear is for taking photos, not for posing with.
Nice to see they are finally looking to extend the HD treatment to the DA* lenses and the 16-50 certainly deserves to be the first up for an overhaul. But I hope they don't take too long on all the other models.
07-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #342
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Frankly I don't like the silver version including all previous silver versions, this silver just look odd to me especially when you compare it with the metal mount. No metal afaik has this color except real silver, and silver is not an attractive color to me, I wonder why Pentax bother to paint silver on real metal body ??
I don't either on modern or modern-like cameras.
Feels natural on my MZ-5n though.
07-23-2020, 08:59 PM   #343
dbs
Pentaxian

I just might buy a silver lens as I don't own one at the moment.
07-23-2020, 09:38 PM   #344
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My cameras and lenses are a random mix of black and silver. The KP looks nice with silver on silver. Otherwise, I don’t care except black lenses on silver bodies. Yuck.
07-23-2020, 10:38 PM   #345
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I imagine the dial works in conjunction with the top LCD panel. It would have room for an additional six positions with each position being user customized and displayed on the LCD. The settings could be similar to those on the K-1 such as HDR, BKT, +/-, Wi Fi etc.
Yes - I don't think think the migration of the S-Fn button to the top plate is a coincidence
Closed Thread