Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 944 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2020, 05:09 AM   #361
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No. This isn't a choice of "details vs lower noise levels". This is a choice between no funky results with a 2D Fourier analysis vs a better image quality.

By the way, I'm not aware of any 2D Fourier analysis showing a loss of detail. And yes, I'm including Bill Claff's work.
What do you mean by “funky results”? My KP always gives me a pleasing rendition of what I pointed it at.

07-24-2020, 05:12 AM   #362
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What do you mean by “funky results”? My KP always gives me a pleasing rendition of what I pointed it at.
I mean funky results with 2D Fourier analysis, i.e. some formulas giving you some numbers you think they shouldn't.
The image, as I said, is improved.
07-24-2020, 05:21 AM   #363
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
LOL... Your KP utilizes an "accelerator chip". So does the K-70 and the K1 II. Canon and Nikon have their own versions of it.
07-24-2020, 05:31 AM - 7 Likes   #364
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So if I got the gist of it in the last 5 pages or so, the consensus of the thread is that the camera will have a GPS connected to a fixed smartphone and a tilting accelerator unit.

Cool.

07-24-2020, 06:12 AM   #365
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
So if I got the gist of it in the last 5 pages or so, the consensus of the thread is that the camera will have a GPS connected to a fixed smartphone and a tilting accelerator unit.

Cool.
LOL... Thanks for lightening the mood.

I'm just thankful Pentax doesn't seem to be going the way of abandoning lens mounts like some manufacturers are doing.
07-24-2020, 06:19 AM - 5 Likes   #366
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

But what about its video capabilities?
Attached Images

07-24-2020, 06:23 AM   #367
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
LOL... Thanks for lightening the mood.

I'm just thankful Pentax doesn't seem to be going the way of abandoning lens mounts like some manufacturers are doing.
If they went to a dedicated mirrorless format, they would.

07-24-2020, 06:28 AM   #368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The fact is, if you are primarily a telephoto shooter, APS-C makes a lot of sense. I kept my K3 for that reason. I don't do a lot of long telephoto work, but when I do, I would rather use my 400/5.6 than my 600/5.6, for example, or my 600 by itself rather than my 600 and a teleconverter.
At the other end of the spectrum, full frame of larger makes more sense than APS-C if one is shooting short tele to wides. Both formats have their strengths and weaknesses. From the results I have been getting, full frame, ultimately, gives better images, but sometimes it's getting the image first, worrying about ultimate quality second that becomes important.
For me right now shooting sports has become a big deal with two kids in travel soccer. I'll take the slight image degradation from FF to APS-C if it means I can take full advantage of the fastest-focusing telephoto lens in the catalog. Also, most of my landscape work is when I'm traveling, so I very much like lenses like the 15mm LTD and the 21mm LTD, and I just got a nice used copy of the 20-40mm for when it's wet out. I could squeeze more out of a K-1 in some cases, sure, but for me APS-C is the sweet spot.
07-24-2020, 07:00 AM   #369
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If they went to a dedicated mirrorless format, they would.
We do not know that they would do that.

They didn't do it for the K-01.
07-24-2020, 07:04 AM - 2 Likes   #370
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
But what about its video capabilities?
I guess I have to explain the equivalence thing again. In Detail. There still seem to be some pagans who don't understand the unquestionable superiority of FF.
07-24-2020, 08:14 AM   #371
Veteran Member

I watched both part 1 and 2 of the video. Am I correct to say that there is no swivel screen to this new APS-C? I couldn't really tell from the video however.
07-24-2020, 08:31 AM   #372
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I watched both part 1 and 2 of the video. Am I correct to say that there is no swivel screen to this new APS-C? I couldn't really tell from the video however.
There certainly appears not to be. Eventually the "why" will probably be explained by Pentax.
07-24-2020, 08:36 AM - 2 Likes   #373
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
One can see a reaction to the viewfinder of the K-new (very bright, very clear).

They used brand-new high-refraction glass for the pentaprism and it is the first time this material -- for which development started in 2017 -- is used in a pentaprism.

The viewfinder is said to be 10% brighter than that of the KP and reduces distortion to a minimum; it is said to be one of the most important features of the new APS-C flagship

The new camera is slimmer than the KP and the use of a joystick for AF point selection is confirmed. Two memory card slots are confirmed as well.

The shutter release button uses the same leaf switch design that was used used in the 645Z and K-1. Normally, they use a more compact mechanism for smaller cameras but managed to use this design -- which allows a smoother release -- in the K-new.

They also maximised the size of the top LCD panel.

A new shutter unit and new mirror-driving mechanism are used to combine to a smooth shooting action, in particular to minimize any impact from the mirror swing-back action.

They want to convince users that in terms of component quality, an APS-C camera can be just as good as an FF camera.

The image sensor and image-processing engine are also new.
There is a new "accelerator unit" as well. Some will like that, some won't. No words on whether its use will be optional this time.

IQ improvements are promised even at ISO 100, due to advanced image-processing.
Again, no words on whether or not these improvements will be optional.

Silver (painted) versions of the following were shown: FA* 70-200, FA* 50, (an FA*85 is planned), K-1 Mark II (probably limited numbers), K-new (will hopefully be released along with the black version, but then the phrasing used "consider", so there is no 100% confirmation).
That's an accurate summary of the information. I'm glad you linked it over at DPR, whose brief notice of the video is cursory, at best.
07-24-2020, 09:07 AM - 3 Likes   #374
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Quote
On the down side, they are still making a song and dance about what colour it is and how it looks. The gear is for taking photos, not for posing with.
I don't mind this. It's not for me, or you, but some people get into this... Let people enjoy it if they're into it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
07-24-2020, 09:13 AM - 5 Likes   #375
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
If you search the forums for "K-new" and "articulated screen" you'll find roughly 4.1 million opinions on the topic.
Closed Thread