Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 944 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2020, 09:57 AM   #376
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am concerned, as well, about the video capabilities.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
But what about its video capabilities?
I am concerned, as well, about the video capabilities. I don’t see a microphone input on this one, for example, and the microphones on my K3ii are absolutely horrid.

Hopefully they’ve addressed this issue somewhat.

Cheers,
Cameron

07-24-2020, 10:08 AM   #377
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
I am concerned, as well, about the video capabilities. I don’t see a microphone input on this one, for example, and the microphones on my K3ii are absolutely horrid.

Cheers,
Cameron
It should have microphone input and headset output, as inscribed on the port cover.
07-24-2020, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #378
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
We do not know that they would do that.

They didn't do it for the K-01.
Sure we do. The physical diameter of the mount would increase, just like every other MILC manfuacturer has done, which allows for faster optics with less fall off and sharper edges. Plus there is the difference in flange focal distance, comparing DSLR to MILC simply because the MILC doesn't have a mirror to raise and lower so it can be significantly smaller.

The K-01 was a K-30 that they sliced the OVF off. It can hardly be called a proper MILC, which is exactly why I used 'dedicated' in my sentence to avoid the comparison with that particular body.
07-24-2020, 11:50 AM - 2 Likes   #379
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
But what about its video capabilities?
Actually, no dedicated pentaxian cares.

The ones who cared have left the ship for long ; or they do use professionnally dedicated film devices, because the compromise doesn't make sense unless you stay at a "new-video-bee" stage.

07-24-2020, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #380
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
.I do

Actually, no I dont
07-24-2020, 12:14 PM   #381
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I'm just thankful Pentax doesn't seem to be going the way of abandoning lens mounts like some manufacturers are doing.
yes, those Q/645 Dodos dont count!
07-24-2020, 02:12 PM - 4 Likes   #382
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote

The ones who cared have left the ship for long ; or they do use professionnally dedicated film devices, because the compromise doesn't make sense unless you stay at a "new-video-bee" stage.
I do. As a video journalist with a rather old and limited video camera (Sony PMW 100) provided by my employer there are instances where using my Pentax equipment provides a solution too shooting certain scenes I otherwise would not have. You can be a dedicated Pentaxian and care about video. Most certainly when fellow reporters are assigned the iPhone 11 for their work. In contrast using a DSLR and even a Pentax can yield results that are better than modern solutions for my line of payed work.

I know video is not a priority for Pentax and refuse to attack the brand for something they don't advertise as being a priority. My hope is that gradually newer components will find their way in Pentax camera's that have a better video file quality as a side effect. Why? Because the quality of the glass already maskes some of the imperfections of the system for shooting video. Having a good tripod with a good video head, a decent sound solution and a suitable shooting style already goes a long way in getting acceptable results.

07-24-2020, 02:14 PM - 3 Likes   #383
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

Personally, I couldn't care less what other cameras do with respect to RAW baking. They may or may not do it, it does not concern me, as I'm not using them.
And this is were credibility vanishes.
It's a pity because as much as I find your constant noise (pun intended) about the issue annoying, it doesn't mean you're wrong either. But this comment just kills it. Sad.
07-24-2020, 02:35 PM   #384
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Sure we do. The physical diameter of the mount would increase, just like every other MILC manfuacturer has done, which allows for faster optics with less fall off and sharper edges. Plus there is the difference in flange focal distance, comparing DSLR to MILC simply because the MILC doesn't have a mirror to raise and lower so it can be significantly smaller.

The K-01 was a K-30 that they sliced the OVF off. It can hardly be called a proper MILC, which is exactly why I used 'dedicated' in my sentence to avoid the comparison with that particular body.
Pentax has said they are a "K-mount company" which eliminates anything other than a K-01 type camera.
07-24-2020, 02:36 PM   #385
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There certainly appears not to be. Eventually the "why" will probably be explained by Pentax.
They are going to have to say something about that. It seems like a backward move. K-1 swivel screen is so cool and well made. They may say something along the line of “we want you to discover the joy of our bright OVF when creating your art.” But then why have a live view? I love using the swivel screen, and to me this can well be a deal breaker.
07-24-2020, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #386
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
yes, those Q/645 Dodos dont count!
No they don't, and I'm assuming you meant the 67. I'm not aware of a 645 lens mount abandonment.

My current cameras from APS-c to full-frame can all use 40 year old Pentax K-mount lenses as well as the very newest ones without resorting to adapters, and so can the K-new. Can you say the same about recent releases from Canon?

'nuff said.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-24-2020 at 03:06 PM.
07-24-2020, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #387
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There certainly appears not to be. Eventually the "why" will probably be explained by Pentax.
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
They are going to have to say something about that. It seems like a backward move. K-1 swivel screen is so cool and well made. They may say something along the line of “we want you to discover the joy of our bright OVF when creating your art.” But then why have a live view? I love using the swivel screen, and to me this can well be a deal breaker.
I'm not sure that Ricoh Imaging would feel it necessary to explain the absence of a movable rear screen, but they might discuss the design trade-offs at some point. However, they might feel that such a statement might be inferred as an apology, which they likely would want to avoid.

Similarly, I don't think that the company has explained why they haven't implemented, say, a 10 frames/second shooting mode or a 42 MP (or whatever) sensor implementation. They'll present their camera, highlight the features that they've implemented, and emphasize the new design aspects.

- Craig
07-24-2020, 05:49 PM - 3 Likes   #388
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i thought I heard the flippy screen would add depth to the K-new and they strove to make it slimmer than KP.
07-24-2020, 07:15 PM - 3 Likes   #389
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My cameras and lenses are a random mix of black and silver. The KP looks nice with silver on silver. Otherwise, I don’t care except black lenses on silver bodies. Yuck.
Funny, I actually don't mind black lenses on silver bodies, but I hate silver on black. Silver on silver is fine too.

---------- Post added 07-24-20 at 07:23 PM ----------

So....video performance, FPS, AFS improvements aside...(let's assume that some of this may be disappointing relative to other brands)...

What if...

- This camera has the BEST OVF ever seen on a DSLR? It's a pleasure to look through, and makes one reluctant to even use the screen except for reviewing photographs!

- The shutter/mirror actuation is sublime, beautiful to feel and hear.

- The feeling of the camera, the ergonomics, are just without peer!

What if this camera ticks those boxes, in a market where other brands are falling over themselves to invest in mirrorless? What if a manufacturer, with deep roots in SLR ovf and prism design, produce a DSLR that simply offers the best experience of that ilk, ignoring all of the other numbers used to market modern cameras (lets assume it produces better images than the K-3 or KP, which seems likely)?

I think I would like such a camera, if only for these small points.

Last edited by DamienW; 07-24-2020 at 07:24 PM.
07-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #390
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DamienW Quote
What if...

- This camera has the BEST OVF ever seen on a DSLR? It's a pleasure to look through, and makes one reluctant to even use the screen except for reviewing photographs!

- The shutter/mirror actuation is sublime, beautiful to feel and hear.

- The feeling of the camera, the ergonomics, are just without peer!

What if this camera ticks those boxes, in a market where other brands are falling over themselves to invest in mirrorless? What if a manufacturer, with deep roots in SLR ovf and prism design, produce a DSLR that simply offers the best experience of that ilk, ignoring all of the other numbers used to market modern cameras (lets assume it produces better images than the K-3 or KP, which seems likely)?

I think I would like such a camera, if only for these small points.
I think that’s the camera. There will be sympathetic noises from former Pentax shooters and filmies generally but even they will only “hope they make it work, but -”.

DPR 88 Silver because . . . . . Pentax.
Closed Thread