Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 944 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2020, 08:58 PM   #391
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Pentax has said they are a "K-mount company" which eliminates anything other than a K-01 type camera.
Then it inherently eliminates the possibility of a dedicated mirrorless format too. And thus we can shut the door on the notion.

07-24-2020, 09:38 PM - 2 Likes   #392
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
i thought I heard the flippy screen would add depth to the K-new and they strove to make it slimmer than KP.
That may have been me. I just made the off handed observation (speculation) that when they were talking about shaving the clay model body, they had apparently started with the KP and were striving to skinny it down. An articulating screen is going to add some amount of additional "fatness" just due to the mechanical interface.

Personally, I do hope that it comes with an articulating screen. The K1's articulating screen has changed the way I shoot off a tripod (especially at night). A friend who I shoot with, uses his k70 in the same way. Not having an articulating screen would be a sizeable step backwards.

07-24-2020, 09:51 PM   #393
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
That may have been me.
Probably was!
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I just made the off handed observation (speculation) that when they were talking about shaving the clay model body, they had apparently started with the KP and were striving to skinny it down. An articulating screen is going to add some amount of additional "fatness" just due to the mechanical interface.

Personally, I do hope that it comes with an articulating screen. The K1's articulating screen has changed the way I shoot off a tripod (especially at night). A friend who I shoot with, uses his k70 in the same way. Not having an articulating screen would be a sizeable step backwards.

Same for me for K-1 with a Hoodman loupe held against the screen, and I use the KP screen quite a lot handheld shooting my 3 year old grandchildren with the camera between my knees (moving thumb from rear AF button to shutter release). I’m operating on the assumption that I got by with a K-3 using a Refconverter A and the top LCD, since some of the VF info is obscured. It wouldn’t keep me from buying the camera I don’t think.
07-24-2020, 10:06 PM   #394
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Can you say the same about recent releases from Canon?
Not quite,they only go back 33 years.But they AF with speed,shoot video thats up to date,have 125million lens copies out in consumer land.

07-24-2020, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #395

Perhaps they'll compromise for the lack of an articulating screen with a superb tethering experience to mobile devices. From what I hear about the competition, no one does it well. Too complicated to set up, poor connectivity, high latency, poorly designed app, only works with the phone in portrait orientation, etc.

Probably not too likely, and not the same as an actual flippy screen, but it would be something.
07-25-2020, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #396
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
I do. As a video journalist with a rather old and limited video camera (Sony PMW 100) provided by my employer there are instances where using my Pentax equipment provides a solution too shooting certain scenes I otherwise would not have. You can be a dedicated Pentaxian and care about video. Most certainly when fellow reporters are assigned the iPhone 11 for their work. In contrast using a DSLR and even a Pentax can yield results that are better than modern solutions for my line of payed work.

I know video is not a priority for Pentax and refuse to attack the brand for something they don't advertise as being a priority. My hope is that gradually newer components will find their way in Pentax camera's that have a better video file quality as a side effect. Why? Because the quality of the glass already maskes some of the imperfections of the system for shooting video. Having a good tripod with a good video head, a decent sound solution and a suitable shooting style already goes a long way in getting acceptable results.
Interesting.
You might be an exception.
I was actually targetting my assumption to more ambitious video uses (4K, 8K, 12K, high fps rates, multiple formats...).
The ones that make the technerds always frustrated because SLR/ML have always some/more limitations than dedicated tools ...

Last edited by Zygonyx; 07-25-2020 at 01:36 AM.
07-25-2020, 01:20 AM   #397
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Then it inherently eliminates the possibility of a dedicated mirrorless format too. And thus we can shut the door on the notion.
If new ML format it would be better to join L mount alliance rather than developing something new from scratch.
K02 would be a better idea

07-25-2020, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #398
Pentaxian

IMHO it is too late to join the L-mount alliance.

1/ i dont see any interest for Ricoh to be dwarfed again in an already overcrowded lens and camera environment ; see here :
The State of the L-Mount Alliance, One Year Later

2/ i don't think the participating companies are making any money out of it
07-25-2020, 01:59 AM - 6 Likes   #399
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I'm not sure that Ricoh Imaging would feel it necessary to explain the absence of a movable rear screen, but they might discuss the design trade-offs at some point. However, they might feel that such a statement might be inferred as an apology, which they likely would want to avoid.

Similarly, I don't think that the company has explained why they haven't implemented, say, a 10 frames/second shooting mode or a 42 MP (or whatever) sensor implementation. They'll present their camera, highlight the features that they've implemented, and emphasize the new design aspects.
Agreed - and I think that's it's important to understand the design concept of any camera (or anything else) and then think about why the makers made the choices they did in relation to that understanding. They are not fools and they do not have an agenda to crash the business - they are trying to produce a coherent product within certain constrants (size, weight, cost etc etc). Nobody seriously askes why a 1DX doesn't have a flip screen or a 60 Mp sensor - they understand that some technologies actually fight against the design concept. We need to get away from incoherent wish-lists and judge design by how it achieves its objectives.
07-25-2020, 02:18 AM   #400
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote

1/ i dont see any interest for Ricoh to be dwarfed again in an already overcrowded lens and camera environment ; see here :

Selling more bodies ?

I have read your article and findings of L-mount first year are rather positive imo
07-25-2020, 02:29 AM   #401
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Selling more bodies ?

I have read your article and findings of L-mount first year are rather positive imo
What if the income from bodies is minimal in comparison to lenses?
07-25-2020, 02:37 AM   #402
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
i thought I heard the flippy screen would add depth to the K-new and they strove to make it slimmer than KP.
It would be a tragedy if camera makers get into a race to the bottom with The Great Thin Body Obsession, as has happened with other gadgets. In the case of phones it has been at the cost of functionality, robustness and convenience, with among other things the deletion of headphone sockets and use of non-standard charging sockets. I can see Sony in 10 years time hyping 3mm thick MILC camera bodies (looking like large phones with outsized lenses), needing of course yet another change (or two) of lens mount in the intermediate years. The hipsters will lap it up.
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Pentax has said they are a "K-mount company" which eliminates anything other than a K-01 type camera.
No it doesn't. The K-01 had no viewfinder and was a market failure because of it. But there is no reason why a mirrorless with a EVF could not be made with a K mount. It would just have a deeper body than those of its rivals who adopted new mounts (eg Z & E mounts) with smaller flange distances. It would not have the advantage of a shallower body (don't care myself) but at least it would tick the box of being mirrorless. Most buyers are only interested in how many boxes are ticked, not how they are ticked.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 07-25-2020 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Clarity
07-25-2020, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #403
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My guess with the lack of flippy screen was either (1) Trying to keep the cost down to a certain level and they felt that the flippy screen would push it past the point that they could sell the camera well. (2) Trying to keep size down. (3) The thrust of this camera is a new and beautiful OVF that users will love using so why put a flippy screen on at all?

I actually think it is about cost and that this camera is going to be 1700 or 1800 dollars at a minimum on release. Adding a flippy screen might push it up higher than a K-1 II sells for and that wouldn't be ideal.
07-25-2020, 04:52 AM   #404
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Not quite,they only go back 33 years.But they AF with speed,shoot video thats up to date,have 125million lens copies out in consumer land.
with adapters....
Apparently you've decided this should be a Canon competition topic? You have your new Canon thread and would assume that's where this belongs. I get that you're really excited about your company's new camera but trolling this discussion isn't considerate.

We're both photographers with different tastes. I've used Canon (5D MarkIII). Didn't care for it, especially ergonomically. I guess you use Pentax sometimes and don't care for it as much as your Canon gear. I won't fault you for it. Please don't taunt those of us who like Pentax.

So choices are great aren't they? If I have anything to add Canon-wise I'll drop by your thread to comment, and it won't be to troll you.
07-25-2020, 05:14 AM   #405
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote

L-Mount feels dead. Olympus did not join from 4/3. Panasonic ran away from 4/3 and Leica does not have the power to survive alone. What are Panasonic’s plans after the current crisis? Shut down 4/3, stick around with L-mount... Everything else is marketing. Sticking to K-mount or just to what you have, makes even more sense today. 35mm is not the perfect choice by modern esthetics, but it survived and will stay alive much longer than 4/3, apsc and many others.
Closed Thread