Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2020, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #406
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would think an articulating or flippy screen is tablestakes for any flagship at this point. It’s hard to imagine one without it would have broad appeal. It almost seems like selling a car without Apple CarPlay in 2020.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My guess with the lack of flippy screen was either (1) Trying to keep the cost down to a certain level and they felt that the flippy screen would push it past the point that they could sell the camera well. (2) Trying to keep size down. (3) The thrust of this camera is a new and beautiful OVF that users will love using so why put a flippy screen on at all?

I actually think it is about cost and that this camera is going to be 1700 or 1800 dollars at a minimum on release. Adding a flippy screen might push it up higher than a K-1 II sells for and that wouldn't be ideal.

07-25-2020, 05:31 AM   #407
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just an idea. How about a Dual mode viewfinder that is optical when doing stills and electronic when doing videos ?
07-25-2020, 05:41 AM - 4 Likes   #408
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
It’s hard to imagine one without it would have broad appeal.
Well to a vast majority of users a flippy screen seems to be just one more gimmick they couldn't care less about.

---------- Post added 25th Jul 2020 at 14:43 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
IMHO it is too late to join the L-mount alliance.
Luckily so. It was dead on arrival.
07-25-2020, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #409
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
If new ML format it would be better to join L mount alliance rather than developing something new from scratch.
K02 would be a better idea
From a cost perspective for Ricoh it does seem better since they'll only have to release a body and a few lenses versus an entire lens catalog. But it also means they'll be competing with others in the alliance for sales. Unless the terms are more like a coop.

I would actually like a mirrorless body that supports K mount lenses. Even a bulky one like the K-01. The major flaw it in, for me, was the lack of an EVF. I don't use headless cameras -- it needs a viewfinder.

I think a mirrorless system would look better with a Ricoh badge on it. Keep Pentax in mirror land. They can make a K adapter if they want, then the money (Pentax DSLR or Ricoh MILC) stays in house.

It's too bad (to my knowledge) no one has made an adapter to mount K lenses to Z, RF, or E bodies that support AE and AF.

07-25-2020, 05:57 AM - 8 Likes   #410
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I find it really strange that anyone would pass over any product solely due to the omission of a single feature unless it was one that was critical to their particular needs.
Then I have to wonder, if it is that critical, what they did before that feature existed.
07-25-2020, 06:00 AM   #411
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc_Lampron Quote
Just an idea. How about a Dual mode viewfinder that is optical when doing stills and electronic when doing videos ?
Unfortunately the product I believe only needs some finishing touches. And, Pentax has said that their R&D focused on the OVF. They'd like to keep the traditional experience when shooting a DSLR. So I believe that a dual mode view finder is not a feature in this camera.
07-25-2020, 06:00 AM - 3 Likes   #412
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Well to a vast majority of users a flippy screen seems to be just one more gimmick they couldn't care less about.
Translation from internet messageboard speak: "To me a flippy screen is a gimmick".

---------- Post added 07-25-20 at 09:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Then I have to wonder, if it is that critical, what they did before that feature existed.
They went about their lives not knowing how wonderful things could be. For the first several million years of human existence we did without electricity, reasonably modern medical care, literacy, industrial production, air conditioning, basic human rights and countless other things that are pretty crucial to life in 2020. It's as reasonable to say you wouldn't want a camera without a flippy screen as anything else, especially since there are dozens of cameras on the market with such a thing, including multiple Pentaxes. If basic utility is the driving factor here we could all make do with 1850s era photography, or maybe no photography at all.

Last edited by ThorSanchez; 07-25-2020 at 06:06 AM.
07-25-2020, 06:06 AM - 4 Likes   #413
Veteran Member

I would think an articulating or flippy screen is tablestakes for any flagship at this point. It’s hard to imagine one without it would have broad appeal. It almost seems like selling a car without Apple CarPlay in 2020.
Well, I'd happily go without Apple Airplay as an Android user! :-)
07-25-2020, 06:06 AM   #414
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Selling more bodies ?

I have read your article and findings of L-mount first year are rather positive imo
positive in the number of new products, hence heavy R&D investments... but is it profitable, that's the question.

---------- Post added 25-07-20 at 06:08 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc_Lampron Quote
or in LV mode.
I wish the K-2 would have this feature.
07-25-2020, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #415
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would think an articulating or flippy screen is tablestakes for any flagship at this point.
"Jack of all trades, master of none."
07-25-2020, 06:16 AM - 5 Likes   #416
Pentaxian

I find it really strange that anyone would pass over any product solely due to the omission of a single feature unless it was one that was critical to their particular needs.
The issue for me is, there is a distinct technical advantage to doing macro with APS-c. More pixels squeezed into a smaller space for more real world magninifaction.

Yet I've almost stopped using my K-3 in favour of my K-1 based on the fact it's so much easier to do low level images with he K-1 and the flipped up screen. I can't get up and down off the ground as easily as I used to, and I've grown to be totally not OK with rolling around in the mud for low angle shots. In essence, the images would be better taken with the K-3, but I use the K-1.

But, not everyone (my wife included) even understands why I even take these images (she's like "what another mushroom?" Usually followed by something blasphemous and possibly obscene., so it doesn't surprise me that others might not understand the issue.
07-25-2020, 06:22 AM - 3 Likes   #417
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The issue for me is, there is a distinct technical advantage to doing macro with APS-c. More pixels squeezed into a smaller space for more real world magninifaction.

Yet I've almost stopped using my K-3 in favour of my K-1 based on the fact it's so much easier to do low level images with he K-1 and the flipped up screen. I can't get up and down off the ground as easily as I used to, and I've grown to be totally not OK with rolling around in the mud for low angle shots. In essence, the images would be better taken with the K-3, but I use the K-1.

But, not everyone (my wife included) even understands why I even take these images (she's like "what another mushroom?" Usually followed by something blasphemous and possibly obscene., so it doesn't surprise me that others might not understand the issue.
Actually, Norm, that's a good example of what I meant by "unless it was one that was critical to their particular needs". As far as what you did before that feature, I assume you often went home with wet, sore elbows and knees.
07-25-2020, 06:30 AM - 2 Likes   #418
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think its important for Pentax to produce cameras that are completely unsuitable for many users. This way they can be a great match for others.

If they make three models that are unsuitable in orthogonal ways we are all set.
07-25-2020, 07:05 AM   #419
Pentaxian

Actually, Norm, that's a good example of what I meant by "unless it was one that was critical to their particular needs". As far as what you did before that feature, I assume you often went home with wet, sore elbows and knees.
I've been asked to take my clothes off before I came in the house, because of the mud of course.

---------- Post added 07-25-20 at 10:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Well, I'd happily go without Apple Airplay as an Android user! :-)
And you probably never miss an opportunity to say so.

No segue too obscure to be ingnored.
Someone say "Apple" and it's automatic.

Last edited by normhead; 07-25-2020 at 07:16 AM.
07-25-2020, 07:26 AM - 2 Likes   #420
mee
Veteran Member

You've never discovered something and from then on didn't want to go without that something?

There's been a number of times over the course of my life where I've been enriched by someone or something where I thought (beforehand) everything was good, but they made it so much better that I wouldn't want to go back.
Closed Thread