Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 944 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2020, 12:25 PM   #436
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Presumably, you are currently taking these low-level shots either sitting in a chair or crouching near the ground.
Now imagine if the camera has a great connection with your smartphone.
Place your smartphone on your lap, or on your knee as you crouch.
and voila - very similar experience as using an articulating screen
maybe even better, as you can now position your screen to where you want it and it won't move in relation to the camera's movements as you fine-tune the focus..

remember, Pentax is rooting down in the OVF niche.
asking for an articulating screen so you can use contrast-detect Live View focusing seems rather counter their recent 5 point statement...
by implementing the feature with a deep smartphone connectivity provides what you are asking for.
The only compromise is it's not attached to your camera (which adds weight and cost anyway).
If the camera is on a tripod, fine. If it isn't I'm on the ground.

I use all these functions. I know what shots would be very difficult without the articulating screen on the K1. I know how useful the phone app is as well.

07-25-2020, 12:31 PM   #437
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oktyabr Quote
I use contrast-detect with manual lenses and the flippy screen is awesome not just for low level shots and those taken from above your head, but also for astro, where the camera may be pointed up at a pretty good inclination for long periods of time.
I love the articulating screen on my K-S2. I really miss it using my K-5.
When I saw the pictures of the K-New prototype without a flippy screen I was choked..
But then I go and buy a Theta that doesn't even have a screen - it's all on your phone.
Made me make a connection between the K-New's fixed screen and the fact that Ricoh has this tech available to them in the Theta..

---------- Post added 07-25-20 at 01:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
To get the shots I get with the articulating screen I would lay down on the ground. Now I don't.
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
If the camera is on a tripod, fine. If it isn't I'm on the ground.
I really don't understand how you're taking pictures..

In any case, I believe -- in any circumstance a person could come up with -- you likely will have your phone with you and there is a likely location you could hold, place, attach the phone to use as a live-view screen.
07-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #438
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tilting Screens don't help a great deal in portrait orientation. Just my two-penn'orth.
07-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #439
Pentaxian

Interesting exchanges concerning SLR connection improvements with either Theta and/or Smartphones.
This is for sure something to dig in for Ricoh.

As i recently told the head of sales & marketing in switzerland, another interesting breakthrough would be to implement FW updates using ImageSync.
Exactly the same way Tesla's "On The Air" updates do work...

07-25-2020, 02:18 PM   #440
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpobuttons Quote
...that is the question...
Please use caution! Do not flip over the flip!
07-25-2020, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #441
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do not use a smart phone. I have no use for GPS, WiFi or Video, I put up with having these gimmicks but would prefer they were not present, (if it came without an exposure meter that would be ok too). But, if it came with a tilt screen I probably would not purchase the camera. I prefer the compact robustness of the K-5, K-3 design. If it did come with an articulating screen I would consider it to be a contender for use, particularly as the screen can be set to face inwards so that it is not in use. I do like a top LCD for quick check of settings.
EVF for me is not an option, it has to be OVF all the way, I am not going to use a camera that when I look through the viewfinder I see a video of what I'm looking at, no way, not on. Just as Mirror less is not an option for me. Unless it is K-mount rangefinder, that might be an option.

So for me to hear about a big bright viewfinder on the new one is special, good news, I'm keen to hear other specifications especially about focus and the like. Pentax is doing a good job in my opinion.
07-25-2020, 03:10 PM   #442
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

KP or K-1 if a flippy screen is such a high priority.
Maybe there is an optional EVF like Visoflex for Leica, which works not too bad. I’ll be cool with that.

07-25-2020, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #443
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All this talk about who needs or doesn’t need this or that leads me to wonder whether Ricoh’s idea of a modular camera would satisfy everyone. Or not.

The alternative to the Knew is not the KP, K70 or even the K-1. They’re all aimed at slightly different, if sometimes overlapping segments. I’m in a different segment now, compared with where I was with the K-3, having spent four years with a K-1.

That experience makes me want an APS-C body that brings the same IQ and the same features as the K-1 in a smaller format and a lighter body, which this new one seems to almost provide. The 10% brighter viewfinder pentaprism is welcome, but its advantage over the K-3’s is somewhat lessened by increasing the eyepiece magnification by more than 10%.

Whether the remaining undisclosed features overcome the lack of facility provided by a movable rear screen is yet to be seen. Having one on the K-1 has helped me to expand photographic possibilities – I use it not just for low-level work, but elevated viewpoints as well. I got by without one for decades, but now I’ve had one and used it extensively, I’m not sure I want to spend more on a body that doesn’t have one. It isn’t a deal-breaker yet, but I’ll wait for the next instalment before I consider it further.
07-25-2020, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #444
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The articulating screen or lack of (we don't know for sure) is a funny one. I've begun using the K-1's screen more, and have been finding it a boon in certain scenarios, say tripod at waist level or when I want to Pixelshift something. I would miss it on the K-1. On my K-3 it is fixed but its a faster animal in use, and knees and elbows have been used frequently to get a shot. If its fixed it really had better be a touch and a minimum of HD resolution, my last 2 smartphones have been QHD+ I think (Note 8 and Note 10+) so its not like its impossible or a pipe dream.
I can understand the resistance if you're a K-5 or K-3 user and have not experienced the K-1 implementation but it is actually really good and overall I would find it a backward step not to have it especially as a flagship but and it's a big but, we still don't know what that OVF brings to the table
07-25-2020, 05:01 PM - 3 Likes   #445
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Viewfinder and Image Quality

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
That experience makes me want an APS-C body that brings the same IQ and the same features as the K-1 in a smaller format and a lighter body, which this new one seems to almost provide. The 10% brighter viewfinder pentaprism is welcome, but its advantage over the K-3’s is somewhat lessened by increasing the eyepiece magnification by more than 10%.
Indeed, among other notable advancements, Ricoh Imaging has been emphasizing the viewfinder 'experience'.

In the interview video, Wakashiro-san (the product planning manager) indicated that "compared to the KP...this viewfinder is nearly 10% brighter." I would think that the increased brightness accounts for both the new pentaprism and the viewfinder optics. The guest photographer was impressed with what he saw: [the viewfinder] is "much larger and clearer" [compared to his KP].

They are also highlighting the image quality that is possible with this new APS-C format camera.

Wakashiro-san indicated that the camera implements a new image sensor, a new imaging engine, and a new accelerator unit. "The image processing unit has been advanced to such a level that you can expect greatly improved image quality."

Comparing the IQ to that of full-frame cameras, Wakashiro-san continued to say that "There is a common perception that APS-C format SLR cameras are inferior to full-frame SLR counterparts in term of optical viewfinder and image quality. We are hoping that this camera will be able to break that perception."

Finally in this regard, he impressed that "We would like our users to realize how advanced this camera's optical viewfinder is and how remarkable its image quality is."

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 07-25-2020 at 06:06 PM.
07-25-2020, 05:27 PM   #446
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
"compared to the KP...this viewfinder is nearly 10% brighter."
I think would have preferred that they sent that 10% to the focus sensor.
07-25-2020, 05:34 PM   #447
Pentaxian

Everybody has their shopping list, I'm not sure why. The camera will be what it will be.
07-25-2020, 05:39 PM   #448
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
I think would have preferred that they sent that 10% to the focus sensor.
I don't think that they have indicated anything concerning the autofocus or focus sensor, so we'll have to wait for those details.

In the interview, after having taken several shots (we can hear the AF 'beep'), the guest asks "Of course, the autofocusing speed is faster, right?". There was no on-camera response from the Ricoh Imaging guy, and no further discussion on that aspect.

- Craig
07-25-2020, 05:48 PM - 2 Likes   #449
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I don't think that they have indicated anything concerning the autofocus or focus sensor, so we'll have to wait for those details.

In the interview, after having taken several shots (we can hear the AF 'beep'), the guest asks "Of course, the autofocusing speed is faster, right?". There was no on-camera response from the Ricoh Imaging guy, and no further discussion on that aspect.

- Craig
They did indicate all new tech around the shutter, processing etc. I'm not sure why there wouldn't be new AF sensor tech. Why would anyone assume after 6 years there wouldn't be new everything? There would be absolutely no current technology from 6 years ago that would be going into camera designed to last the next 5 years.

I'm kind of amused here.
07-25-2020, 05:57 PM - 4 Likes   #450
dbs
Pentaxian

My goodness we've had 10 plus pages of does it or does it not have a tilt screen.
When it arrives we will know.
Then .... start ... complaining either way.
Have a nice day.

Dave
Closed Thread