Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 944 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2020, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #481
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I assume that too And I unsubscribed from Camerville too. But I can still look and make rude comments there, and in fact Cameraville has spent more time talking about Pentax than about the brands he is supposed to have switched to - first Nikon and then Fuji, although he seems to have deleted the video where he said he was switching to Nikon .
I believe that Li was always a Nikon user and that he used Pentax as a mechanism to have a YouTube presence in an under served area (who else reviewed Pentax equipment on a "regular" basis?).

As far as his switch to Fuji is concerned, that was a surprise to me as Pentax equipment usually came out ahead in his direct comparisons of lenses.

Last edited by lsimpkins; 07-27-2020 at 06:47 AM. Reason: additional comment added
07-27-2020, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #482
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm hoping it has a fixed screen, but a phone app. This is a nice combo IMO. Fixed screen = more rugged design + the phone app if you really want to get a crazy angle.
07-27-2020, 01:20 PM   #483
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
As far as his switch to Fuji is concerned, that was a surprise to me as Pentax equipment usually came out ahead in his direct comparisons of lenses.
He knew how to use a Pentax after 3 years of experience,his 5 mins with a Fuji shone out.
07-27-2020, 05:36 PM - 5 Likes   #484
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
But in fairness to him he said he's shifting his channel to Nikon and not bash Pentax.
There's no fairness, he's continued to bash, Totsmuyco.

He had a poll asking how many Pentaxians will switch brands if the K-New doesn't wow.

Ahead of the Ricoh president's announcement, he claimed he had an inside tip that it would be to declare Pentax was going to stop making cameras.

That was completely wrong - the opposite in fact, so after the second interview with the product manager, he bashed the K-new.

This is how he makes money now, attacking the brand he shot with and praised, because he discovered that gets more Youtube hits and likes. Is there a word for that kind of person?

Last edited by clackers; 07-27-2020 at 05:59 PM.
07-27-2020, 05:43 PM - 2 Likes   #485
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
This is how he makes money now, attacking the brand he shot with and praised, because he discovered that gets more Youtube hits and likes. Is there a word for that kind of person?
parasite?
07-27-2020, 05:46 PM - 9 Likes   #486
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, there is. It starts with w and rhymes with bore.
07-27-2020, 05:51 PM - 5 Likes   #487
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yes, there is. It starts with w and rhymes with bore.
War?

07-27-2020, 06:13 PM - 2 Likes   #488
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
War?
Wore,its hard to spell over THERE!
07-27-2020, 06:51 PM - 3 Likes   #489
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the saddest thing in all of this is observing what happens when you set your income up to rely on views and clicks on Youtube. When the views, clicks and advertiser click throughs drop off then your income also drops.

This leads to the temptation to 'create controversy' to get the clicks back. He isn't the only one to do that on camera based Youtube channels, but in doing so it leads to an interesting place in terms of personal integrity, values, and perceived reputation.

Creating a viable platform and business model is hard work in any marketplace, and you have to be very clear about your value proposition and why / what you are offering.

Sadly, I think we are observing a business model that is struggling. This has nothing to do with Pentax equipment at all.
07-27-2020, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #490
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is just numbers. 96% of the market of cameras and lenses is brands other than Pentax, so one must assume the potential market of clicks for a YouTube channel featuring “Other Brands” is 25x larger than when featuring Pentax. It takes courage of convictions to succeed against those odds.

I rather imagine I can guess what the channel owner lacks.
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I think the saddest thing in all of this is observing what happens when you set your income up to rely on views and clicks on Youtube. When the views, clicks and advertiser click throughs drop off then your income also drops.

This leads to the temptation to 'create controversy' to get the clicks back. He isn't the only one to do that on camera based Youtube channels, but in doing so it leads to an interesting place in terms of personal integrity, values, and perceived reputation.

Creating a viable platform and business model is hard work in any marketplace, and you have to be very clear about your value proposition and why / what you are offering.

Sadly, I think we are observing a business model that is struggling. This has nothing to do with Pentax equipment at all.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-27-2020 at 09:27 PM.
07-27-2020, 07:03 PM - 3 Likes   #491
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

He had a poll asking how many Pentaxians will switch brands if the K-New doesn't wow.

Ahead of the Ricoh president's announcement, he claimed he had an inside tip that it would be to declare Pentax was going to stop making cameras.

That was completely wrong - the opposite in fact, so after the second interview with the product manager, he bashed the K-new.

Well it isn’t a word, but in my business that is known as selling at the bottom.
07-27-2020, 07:43 PM   #492

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I'm hoping it has a fixed screen, but a phone app. This is a nice combo IMO. Fixed screen = more rugged design + the phone app if you really want to get a crazy angle.
Why can't it have all three? A great Image Sync app that works flawlessly for remote shooting, an articulating screen that is rugged, and if you never want to use either of those just leave the screen in its place and never move it.
07-27-2020, 07:59 PM - 4 Likes   #493
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
Why can't it have all three? A great Image Sync app that works flawlessly for remote shooting, an articulating screen that is rugged, and if you never want to use either of those just leave the screen in its place and never move it.
Have you seen an articulating screen on any of the photos of the K-New since the body was first introduced???? So there goes one of your three.....there is no articulating screen. Everyone just needs to deal with it and move on to some other subject to criticize Ricoh/Pentax about.
I'm sure there are innumerable other "faults" the K-New has or potentially will have to go on and on about.
07-27-2020, 08:16 PM - 2 Likes   #494
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Who is at fault though.... the person with the you tube channel or the people that watch this drivel.?
07-27-2020, 08:36 PM - 3 Likes   #495
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Who is at fault though.... the person with the you tube channel or the people that watch this drivel.?
That seems like an easy question to ask: Is it the bank robber's fault or the people who report the robbery? Is it the arsonist's fault or the people who watch the building burn?

A lapse in ethics belongs to the originator of the act, not the spectators.

We could set up an argument that the system is flawed, i.e., that the use of "likes" and "followers" and "views" is too closely tied to monetary reward to allow the adherence to an ethical standard. However, that's pretty easily applied to anything.

For example, the bank teller avoids embezzling even though the money is right there in his hands. That's more immediate than digital indicators. So, honesty and ethics seems to remain a quality of the individual, not the crowd.

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 07-31-2020 at 10:00 PM. Reason: fix a typo
Closed Thread