Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 944 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2020, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #511
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bunch Quote
I'm aware that's an option, but I never bother. When processing I'd rather delete 1 raw file than 1 raw and 1 jpg. The more valuable function is the backup for paid gigs.
You might be, but the OP didn't understand why two cards might have any value.

In my own workflow I only use the RAWS writing to 128GB SD's on paid stuff, in fact 95% of the time I use only RAW's, paid or not. Mostly not but I'm working on it.

The JPEGS are there only for quick reference/previews, or for immediate share. I suppose in the event of a card failure I still have those JPEGS too at least. No cards failed yet, but I've certainly lost 'em which is why I use bigger storage so less reason to pull one during a session.

When I'm done with transfers to my computer the cards are formated in their entirety rather than individual shots deleted, so it's not added trouble for me. Other shooters have different ways of going about it and for good reasons so my experiences are probably not yours of course. Still learning the best procedures.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-28-2020 at 02:00 PM.
07-28-2020, 05:03 PM - 3 Likes   #512
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I have a question rather than a comment.

Somewhere in the midst of all this discussion, there were comments (and cheers) about still having 2 SD card slots. I am wondering if there is really any reason for this anymore. Today SD cards are available in very large capacities – up to 512 GB. I have two 64 GB cards in my K3-ii. That's about 2200 RAW images.

With this kind of capacity why bother with a second SD slot?
Don, if you write to both cards, and tragedy happens on an important shoot (it may be important personally, or it may be a professional job!) corruption on one doesn't affect you.

Some will do RAW to one, JPG to the other, and accept that if it's the RAW card that fails, they may have JPGs that don't post process the way they want them to.

But the important thing is to have the choice. The original Canon FF mirrorless was attacked for its single slot.

In the most recent Ricoh Imaging interview video, the product manager repeated that putting two slots into the K-new compromised the designers, but it was regarded as essential for this flagship.
07-28-2020, 08:17 PM   #513
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
In the most recent Ricoh Imaging interview video, the product manager repeated that putting two slots into the K-new compromised the designers, but it was regarded as essential for this flagship.
I'd be surprised if they went backwards from two cards to one from the K3 to the new flagship, anyway it's now known as a done deal.
07-28-2020, 09:00 PM - 3 Likes   #514
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I'd be surprised if they went backwards from two cards to one from the K3 to the new flagship, anyway it's now known as a done deal.
Oh, you didn't watch the video, Rob?

It has two slots alright, the enthusiastic photographer went off script and opened up the door, the product manager took a moment but recovered.

07-29-2020, 03:13 AM - 5 Likes   #515
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I have a question rather than a comment.

Somewhere in the midst of all this discussion, there were comments (and cheers) about still having 2 SD card slots. I am wondering if there is really any reason for this anymore. Today SD cards are available in very large capacities – up to 512 GB. I have two 64 GB cards in my K3-ii. That's about 2200 RAW images.

With this kind of capacity why bother with a second SD slot?

Just wonderin' on a hot summer day...

Don
It's a pro thing. Wedding photographers really want this. There are no reshoots if you have a card failure and if you have a 64 gig card in, that could easily be half your photos. My wife shoots weddings (at least she did before the pandemic hit) and things like that she really focused on -- always used high end cards and replaced them periodically to avoid failure -- but she still always wanted back ups just in case.

As to the whole tilty screen thing, I think at this point we'll have to take what comes. If the camera is perfect in every other respect, I don't see why people wouldn't be willing to accept a fixed screen. I'm sure they will complain, but that's kind of human nature.
07-29-2020, 04:00 AM - 2 Likes   #516
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm no pro, but I've shot a few weddings now and yes, can confirm: Would not want to chance it without two card slots writing to good quality formatted cards.
07-29-2020, 04:34 AM - 2 Likes   #517
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If the camera is perfect in every other respect, I don't see why people wouldn't be willing to accept a fixed screen
Because a moving screen ads to the shooting experience of the camera. It is much easier to do different from eye level perspective shots thus enhancing creative shooting. That is why I won't get a fixed screen camera any more.

07-29-2020, 04:39 AM - 2 Likes   #518
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Oh, you didn't watch the video, Rob? It has two slots alright, the enthusiastic photographer went off script and opened up the door, the product manager took a moment but recovered.
That was why I said it was a done deal rather than speculation. It's hard to say if it was truly unplanned, but at least he got to hold the camera and look through the viewfinder. I only got to admire it through glass.
I'm glad I have spent some time learning Japanese; it's always interesting to hear what they actually say, rather than what the subtitles say.
07-29-2020, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #519
dbs
Pentaxian

That was why I said it was a done deal rather than speculation. It's hard to say if it was truly unplanned, but at least he got to hold the camera and look through the viewfinder. I only got to admire it through glass.
I'm glad I have spent some time learning Japanese; it's always interesting to hear what they actually say, rather than what the subtitles say.
And ......... what did they say............ .......... ........
07-29-2020, 05:17 AM   #520
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
And ......... what did they say............ .......... ........
Honestly I'm not going to attempt to transcribe the whole thing. Mostly what I mean is I can learn new things in Japanese, but they're not of interest to folks who just want to know about the camera. I didn't mean to imply that they said things about the camera which weren't translated. It's just that subtitles hardly ever match exactly what was said - sometimes because there's no equivalent in the other language. For example there's really no translation for "よろしくお願いいたしします" (yoroshikuonegaiitashimasu) and if you translate it to "please treat me well" you lose all the levels of politeness and cultural meaning. So, no, they weren't keeping secrets for the Japanese speakers.
07-29-2020, 05:36 AM   #521
Pentaxian

they weren't keeping secrets
Yes they are...The specs!
07-29-2020, 05:38 AM   #522
dbs
Pentaxian

Honestly I'm not going to attempt to transcribe the whole thing. Mostly what I mean is I can learn new things in Japanese, but they're not of interest to folks who just want to know about the camera. I didn't mean to imply that they said things about the camera which weren't translated. It's just that subtitles hardly ever match exactly what was said - sometimes because there's no equivalent in the other language. For example there's really no translation for "よろしくお願いいたしします" (yoroshikuonegaiitashimasu) and if you translate it to "please treat me well" you lose all the levels of politeness and cultural meaning. So, no, they weren't keeping secrets for the Japanese speakers.
Hi Rob

The translation done, does have some quite different looking sentences.

Dave
07-29-2020, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #523
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
But why ... they have ..20 / 20 vision..
07-29-2020, 06:04 AM   #524
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
They weren't revealed to the Japanese speakers either.

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
The translation done, does have some quite different looking sentences.
Agreed, but the important content is there.
07-29-2020, 06:19 AM   #525
Forum Member

I watched both films and actually learned nothing other than that Ricoh does not bring a mirrorless Pentax onto the market. The optical viewfinder is described like something new and magical. The interviewer is emotionally exaggerating, but maybe it's just a Japanese way of responding that seems strange to me. Silver painted tubes of lenses? Either it is real metal or please leave it black.

Let's not kid ourselves, Pentax has lost many photographers to Sony and it‘s cameras are impressive. The same applies to Sony’s lenses. Pentax 4 / 300mm telephoto lens without limiter and with the terrible SDM drive should have long ago been replaced by an improved version that also has a pull-out sunshade. In my view, the current 300 mm telephoto lens is a misconstruction. I only use it because I lack an alternative.

If Pentax wants to keep up, then a new APS-C flagship must have a tiltable touchscreen, offer focus stacking, have a much improved autofocus, needs hand held pixel shift with recognition of moving objects and also improved image quality. 4 K Video with at least 60 f/s? Yes! The hint that results are better at low ISO results is all well and good. But in nature and sports photography, in addition to long focal lengths, very short exposure times are required. This requires high ISO values.

A few days ago I photographed the comet Neowise with the Pentax K3-II. I used the Astrotracer to avoid star trails, which is a brillant function. I do not want to do without it in a new model. For this, the GPS module must be on board and not depending on an additional device. The foldable display is missing on the K3-II. Not having it on a successor would be a real stop signal for buyers.

The two videos are particularly striking due to the lack ofinformation. An enthusiasm is shown that cannot really be understood.
Closed Thread