Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 944 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2020, 06:24 AM   #526
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I have a question rather than a comment.

Somewhere in the midst of all this discussion, there were comments (and cheers) about still having 2 SD card slots. I am wondering if there is really any reason for this anymore. Today SD cards are available in very large capacities – up to 512 GB. I have two 64 GB cards in my K3-ii. That's about 2200 RAW images.

With this kind of capacity why bother with a second SD slot?

Just wonderin' on a hot summer day...

Don
It is not as much about capacity as it solves other problems. Some people write RAW to one and jpeg to the other. I use it as an in camera backup and write RAW to both. One member here recently posted that slot 1 died on his camera and is still going using slot 2.

I am not a fan of large capacity cards because if the card dies the amount of images lost is huge. My preferred size on my K1 is 64GB but I do have a set of 128GB cards for it too. Sometimes the price is just too good to pass up. On my K3 because of smaller file size, I use 32 GB cards pretty often too.

07-29-2020, 06:34 AM - 2 Likes   #527
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I am not a fan of large capacity cards because if the card dies the amount of images lost is huge. My preferred size on my K1 is 64GB but I do have a set of 128GB cards for it too. Sometimes the price is just too good to pass up. On my K3 because of smaller file size, I use 32 GB cards pretty often too.
IF,K-new shoots 4K and people start using it,then large capacity cards will be needed.32 fills fast, 128 minimum.
07-29-2020, 06:59 AM - 4 Likes   #528
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It's a pro thing. Wedding photographers really want this.
Not just a pro thing! On a once in a lifetime trip, it is nice to have the option of writing your raw files to both cards - just in case Murphy is along for the ride.
07-29-2020, 07:06 AM - 5 Likes   #529
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sindbad1 Quote
I watched both films and actually learned nothing other than that Ricoh does not bring a mirrorless Pentax onto the market. The optical viewfinder is described like something new and magical. The interviewer is emotionally exaggerating, but maybe it's just a Japanese way of responding that seems strange to me. Silver painted tubes of lenses? Either it is real metal or please leave it black.

Let's not kid ourselves, Pentax has lost many photographers to Sony and it‘s cameras are impressive. The same applies to Sony’s lenses. Pentax 4 / 300mm telephoto lens without limiter and with the terrible SDM drive should have long ago been replaced by an improved version that also has a pull-out sunshade. In my view, the current 300 mm telephoto lens is a misconstruction. I only use it because I lack an alternative.

If Pentax wants to keep up, then a new APS-C flagship must have a tiltable touchscreen, offer focus stacking, have a much improved autofocus, needs hand held pixel shift with recognition of moving objects and also improved image quality. 4 K Video with at least 60 f/s? Yes! The hint that results are better at low ISO results is all well and good. But in nature and sports photography, in addition to long focal lengths, very short exposure times are required. This requires high ISO values.

A few days ago I photographed the comet Neowise with the Pentax K3-II. I used the Astrotracer to avoid star trails, which is a brillant function. I do not want to do without it in a new model. For this, the GPS module must be on board and not depending on an additional device. The foldable display is missing on the K3-II. Not having it on a successor would be a real stop signal for buyers.

The two videos are particularly striking due to the lack ofinformation. An enthusiasm is shown that cannot really be understood.
Few observations:
- the films were IMO nice, particularly the President's commitment to Pentax DSLRs. Also, a FF-sized APS-C viewfinder? Hope they'd do that trick on the next K-1, too.
- unpainted metal might not be a good idea. Brushed aluminum works because aluminum builds a thin layer of oxide... but generally, we started to paint metal for a reason.
- I can't speak for others, but I'm not kidding myself.
- it doesn't have a tiltable touchscreen. It won't matter as much as some thinks.
- It's not a Sony, and that's great!
- have you seen the KP? Pentax already have "high ISO values"
- the enthusiasm is well placed

07-29-2020, 07:11 AM - 5 Likes   #530
bxf
Veteran Member

I watched both films and actually learned nothing other than that Ricoh does not bring a mirrorless Pentax onto the market. The optical viewfinder is described like something new and magical. The interviewer is emotionally exaggerating, but maybe it's just a Japanese way of responding that seems strange to me. Silver painted tubes of lenses? Either it is real metal or please leave it black.

Let's not kid ourselves, Pentax has lost many photographers to Sony and it‘s cameras are impressive. The same applies to Sony’s lenses. Pentax 4 / 300mm telephoto lens without limiter and with the terrible SDM drive should have long ago been replaced by an improved version that also has a pull-out sunshade. In my view, the current 300 mm telephoto lens is a misconstruction. I only use it because I lack an alternative.

If Pentax wants to keep up, then a new APS-C flagship must have a tiltable touchscreen, offer focus stacking, have a much improved autofocus, needs hand held pixel shift with recognition of moving objects and also improved image quality. 4 K Video with at least 60 f/s? Yes! The hint that results are better at low ISO results is all well and good. But in nature and sports photography, in addition to long focal lengths, very short exposure times are required. This requires high ISO values.

A few days ago I photographed the comet Neowise with the Pentax K3-II. I used the Astrotracer to avoid star trails, which is a brillant function. I do not want to do without it in a new model. For this, the GPS module must be on board and not depending on an additional device. The foldable display is missing on the K3-II. Not having it on a successor would be a real stop signal for buyers.

The two videos are particularly striking due to the lack ofinformation. An enthusiasm is shown that cannot really be understood.
Would you like fries with that?
07-29-2020, 07:26 AM   #531
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
IF,K-new shoots 4K and people start using it,then large capacity cards will be needed.32 fills fast, 128 minimum.
Totally! That's all I use on my K1 and I don't even shoot video. Ever.

Two sets of two rotated 128GB plus one spare. I keep another two still in the packing in the truck console for those "gosh I'm an idiot, no card in the camera" moments. Done it. More than once.

Some sessions run into a several hundred images and I've lost a card before when having to pull it before a shoot is over because it's full on a KP or K70, so I use 32's on those most of the time unless I know it's going to be a long shoot where I'll use 64GB cards now. It was a 32GB I lost at a portrait shoot because it was full and needed switching. No longer taking a chance with that. I've not yet filled a 128GB on a K1.

Fun memory: On my K50 I used to keep my images on the card I shot with, labeled and then stored after uploading what I wanted to keep. Eventually I had at least 3 dozen 8GB SD cards (probably more) stored in plastic holder pages and I could see it was going to get out of hand. Besides that, even labeled I wasn't sure anymore what images were on which cards. I gave up on that scheme.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-29-2020 at 09:38 AM.
07-29-2020, 07:28 AM - 2 Likes   #532

Pentax engineers: flip screens are structural weaknesses

Attached Images

07-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #533
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by motorvodka Quote
Do you have a source for that?
07-29-2020, 07:55 AM   #534
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I read that they did a study asking pro photographers if they record to two cards before removing them from the recent milcs. Turned out very few paid photographers write to two cards.
07-29-2020, 07:59 AM   #535
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by motorvodka Quote
Pentax cameras do not infiltrate (that's for the GR).
07-29-2020, 08:01 AM   #536
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Turned out very few paid photographers write to two cards.
The main probleme of the 2 cards writting is that the buffer clearance is slower than when using a 1 card recording. This is really what prevent the 2 cards writting for me when dealing with high speed sequence, where buffer clearance is paramount.
07-29-2020, 08:04 AM   #537
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I read that they did a study asking pro photographers if they record to two cards before removing them from the recent milcs. Turned out very few paid photographers write to two cards.
IIRC it was treated by a good number of people as "cool, doble storage space", but I couldn't find the source even if my life depended on it.

For what it's worth I have a 128GB + 32GB combo set to raw+JPG (S), so I can send the JPGs on the spot via ImageSync to my friends if I see something interesting. I
07-29-2020, 08:07 AM - 2 Likes   #538
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's not kid ourselves, Pentax has lost many photographers to Sony and it‘s cameras are impressive.
That is an interesting assertion. Would it be possible for you to provide some data or references to the number of Pentax users who have switched to the Sony system? I have never seen these statistics, so perhaps I have missed some information.

A few days ago I photographed the comet Neowise with the Pentax K3-II. I used the Astrotracer to avoid star trails, which is a brillant function. I do not want to do without it in a new model.
I agree -- Astrotracer is a unique and superb function. Do any other brands implement such a feature? Sony?

I think that you might have difficulty choosing a new camera when the time arrives. It would be great if a new Pentax camera would implement all sorts of new features and match the highest possible performance levels. However, it's unlikely that a single camera could be designed practically in such a manner to fill Ricoh Imaging's design imperatives and goals; some of your requirements may need to be relaxed.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 07-29-2020 at 09:44 AM.
07-29-2020, 08:08 AM   #539
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
The main probleme of the 2 cards writting is that the buffer clearance is slower than when using a 1 card recording. This is really what prevent the 2 cards writting for me when dealing with high speed sequence, where buffer clearance is paramount.
I'm hoping that they have improved the buffer clearance dramatically or they have figured out a way to keep the camera going without any lockups & full functionality while the buffer clears. I hate it when the camera locks up as the buffer clears & can't take pictures and/or change settings.
07-29-2020, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #540
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Do you have a source for that?
Good question.

The K-1's "moon lander" seems rugged enough... so here's an alternative: they might think this camera will primarily be used through the optical viewfinder, e.g. following fast moving subjects (while e.g. the K-1 is for a more deliberate shooting of landscapes and so on).
Which means two things:
a. an articulated LCD is seen as less important
b. these extra 3mm allowing for a more comfortable OVF experience gain more importance
But that's just guessing.
Closed Thread