Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 944 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2020, 08:12 AM - 2 Likes   #541
Pentaxian

My K20D (used) came with a 512 MB card in it. It held 24 exposures before it was full, so it was like shooting film. The only difference was that there was no way I could stretch it to 25-26 exposures.

07-29-2020, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #542
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I'm hoping that they have improved the buffer clearance dramatically or they have figured out a way to keep the camera going without any lockups & full functionality while the buffer clears. I hate it when the camera locks up as the buffer clears & can't take pictures and/or change settings.
You have a K-50, right? They improved on that already.
"Buffer clearing was sluggish even with our fast UHS-I SDHC card, taking 20 seconds to clear after a max-length burst of JPEGs, 14 seconds after a burst of RAW frames and 16 seconds after a max-length RAW+JPEG burst. The K-70 does however let you change settings, take additional shots or view just-shot photos while the buffer is clearing."
Imaging Resource, about the K-70 (Pentax K-70 Review - Performance)
07-29-2020, 08:29 AM   #543
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
The main probleme of the 2 cards writting is that the buffer clearance is slower than when using a 1 card recording. This is really what prevent the 2 cards writting for me when dealing with high speed sequence, where buffer clearance is paramount.
I've always thought that too but I'm nearly certain I read a vetted comparison yesterday that said it mostly not true and explained why. I'm trying to go back in my history to find it.

Edit:
Found it
https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/99758/is-there-a-performance-penal...ds-in-a-camera
More of a discussion than findings and FWIW various stipulations such as identical cards in each slot, UHS-2 v. UHS-1...

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-29-2020 at 08:39 AM.
07-29-2020, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #544
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Because a moving screen ads to the shooting experience of the camera. It is much easier to do different from eye level perspective shots thus enhancing creative shooting. That is why I won't get a fixed screen camera any more.
That's fine. I would say with a high end viewfinder and high frame rate, this is going to be more of an action camera. Unlikely that the majority of shots will be taken using the rear LCD, even if it was tiltable. Further, most of us own a camera with a tiltable screen and if we think we are going to take a bunch of shots that need that, we'll take along our K-1/KP/K-70/K-S2 as well and grab those with that.

I understand you don't want a camera without it, but maybe a KP or K-1 II sequel would actually fit your shooting needs better.

07-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #545
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just declined to buy a same-model replacement car because the new one doesn’t have 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat, something I have become accustomed to and is beneficial for my soma-type to get a changeable seating position for long-drive comfort. Truly, I only need to change the seat position once or twice a year, but I want that capability to enhance my driving experience those few times.

Everything else on the replacement vehicle is more modern, more efficient or does something previously not available, which will be beneficial 365 days a year, but I’ll continue to drive my 2012 vehicle, or change to another inferior vehicle , because they took something away from me and I resent that.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-29-2020 at 04:42 PM.
07-29-2020, 02:33 PM - 2 Likes   #546
Pentaxian

Some are saying that they would not use a hinged screen and don't want one because it is a weakness. However I would have thought it a weakness only if you actually use it, for example eventually breaking the electrical connections through fatigue, or catching it on something that rips it off. Once it is retracted into its recess it is hard to imagine a scenario where the fact that it is hinged would contribute to weakness.
07-29-2020, 02:44 PM   #547
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I just declined to buy a same-model replacement car because the new one doesn’t have 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat, something I have become accustomed to and is beneficial for my soma-type to get a changeable seating position for long-drive comfort. Truly, I only need to change the seat position once or twice a year, but I want that capability to enhance my driving experience those few times.

Everything else on the replacement vehicle is more modern, more efficient or does something previously not available, which will be beneficial 365 days a year, but I’ll continue to drive my 2012 vehicle, or change to another inferior vehicle , because they took something away from me and I resent that.
Well when you put it that way

07-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #548
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
However I would have thought it a weakness only if you actually use it, for example eventually breaking the electrical connections through fatigue, or catching it on something that rips it off.
I don't think moving screens break very often. The feel, handling and size of the camera changes. As does the available space for buttons.

If you think specs and "function" a tilt screen has very few downsides. If you consider the feel and handling of the camera it has many. Perhaps not everyone can see/feel that but it does fit well with Pentax prioritizing experience over specs. Many cant appreciate ovfs either.
07-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #549
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I don't think moving screens break very often. The feel, handling and size of the camera changes. As does the available space for buttons.

If you think specs and "function" a tilt screen has very few downsides. If you consider the feel and handling of the camera it has many. Perhaps not everyone can see/feel that but it does fit well with Pentax prioritizing experience over specs. Many cant appreciate ovfs either.
I don't know, the K-1 is perfectly form-fitting to my hand, I never had any issue with the button placement. It's true that a moving screen would need some extra space for the frame, but that can be solved by making the screen itself slightly smaller which shouldn't be an issue. As for thickness, the K-1 is substantially thicker than the K-7 and the OVF is every bit* as comfortable...

*I am left-eye-dominant and use fairly thick glasses (4 diopters of near-sightedness and a couple of astigmatism ) so my experience might not be representative of others, of course.
07-29-2020, 05:03 PM   #550
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I don't know, the K-1 is perfectly form-fitting to my hand, I never had any issue with the button placement. It's true that a moving screen would need some extra space for the frame, but that can be solved by making the screen itself slightly smaller which shouldn't be an issue.
IF it is a touchscreen then the last thing you want is for it to be small. Ricoh have made the screen larger for better use as a touchscreen and as a result have it fixed.
All of their current Pentax asp-c cameras have 3" LCD movable screens.
Nikon have a movable touchscreen of 3.2" on their D500 but that camera is almost FF camera size.

I think Ricoh have built a compact ASP-C camera with a fixed 3.2 inch touchscreen and excellent ergonomics.

Do you really want a 3" movable touchscreen?

In the video the designer mentioned the positioning of the AF selection lever as being carefully positioned on a micro scale. That degree of precision would be impossible with a 3.2"+ movable screen unless the body was bigger.
It is all a compromise that engineers face every day.

Last edited by BROO; 07-29-2020 at 05:23 PM.
07-29-2020, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #551
Pentaxian

Good point, though some compact cameras can handle very big tiltable screens.
E.g. Casio EX 100F versus Pentax 645Z

And believe me, it is quite sturdy
07-29-2020, 09:02 PM   #552

FWIW - if a movable screen means larger size I'm glad its fixed.

Looking to upgrade from a KS-2 which is ridiculoulsy compact

I just wish they'd make white cameras again...
07-29-2020, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #553
Veteran Member

I think Ricoh/Pentax is targeting a different user spectrum with K-new and FF, respectively.

K-new for street, action, maybe long-range tele, maybe video. All achievable by crop, fast buffer, AF, new sensor. For this, you dont necessarily need a tilt-screen.

FF, OTOH, is landscape, portrait, mushrooms, astrophotography. Tilt-screen is there.

Maybe this indicates the future strategy for APSC and FF.
07-29-2020, 11:42 PM - 1 Like   #554
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
IF it is a touchscreen then the last thing you want is for it to be small. Ricoh have made the screen larger for better use as a touchscreen and as a result have it fixed.
All of their current Pentax asp-c cameras have 3" LCD movable screens.
Nikon have a movable touchscreen of 3.2" on their D500 but that camera is almost FF camera size.

I think Ricoh have built a compact ASP-C camera with a fixed 3.2 inch touchscreen and excellent ergonomics.

Do you really want a 3" movable touchscreen?

In the video the designer mentioned the positioning of the AF selection lever as being carefully positioned on a micro scale. That degree of precision would be impossible with a 3.2"+ movable screen unless the body was bigger.
It is all a compromise that engineers face every day.
I don't want a touchscreen on a DSLR, period . First thing I'd do would probably be to turn it off.

About the compromise, I know it has to be made. I just disagree with the result. I would have taken a body that was 2 or 3 mm wider any day of the week. People were saying "if you want a tilt screen get a KP/K-70". Well, that works both ways. If you want a small camera get a K-S2. The K-New is an action oriented camera so the last thing you want is for it to be too light and small to handle the big lenses. There's no need to make it A6600-sized.
I would have taken a tiltable, non touch screen any day of the week as well. Substantially more useful to me at least...

In any case, at the end of the day the camera is shaping up to be astonishing, we are talking about something that is unlikely to affect the Pentaxian who is already in Pentax land and wants an action oriented camera. The only concern is in how prospective buyers not already in the fold perceive it, and these days a movable screen is more or less standard.

---------- Post added 07-29-20 at 11:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
I think Ricoh/Pentax is targeting a different user spectrum with K-new and FF, respectively.

K-new for street, action, maybe long-range tele, maybe video. All achievable by crop, fast buffer, AF, new sensor. For this, you dont necessarily need a tilt-screen.

FF, OTOH, is landscape, portrait, mushrooms, astrophotography. Tilt-screen is there.

Maybe this indicates the future strategy for APSC and FF.
The KP sticks out like a sore thumb there, though, because it's such a good fit for the DA Limiteds. So street isn't the primary focus of the K-New (and for street the tilt screen is very useful, as you can shoot from the waist while being less obvious). For video a tilt screen is very important as well, I'd say.
07-30-2020, 01:20 AM   #555
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't necessarily agree that a tilt screen is necessary for landscapes; I haven't had an issue without one. One thing that I have sometimes found though is that when using live view, the image lacks contrast on the screen due to the brightness of the sunshine. (Yes! Sunshine in the UK!) What I am keen to see is how the Knew's new OVF compares to something like the MX!
Closed Thread