Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2020, 07:05 AM   #661
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
No offense to FF users. That's why I don't like their system. You'll need a Samsonite to lug your system around. Have mercy on me!!!
MY K-1 fits in the same case as my K-3, and because I use the DA 55-300 instead of heavier lens like my DA*200 or DA*60-250, my kit is a fraction the weight of what I used to carry. And I use exactly the same case. But you'd never know it from my images.

I actually leave the red case home now. Taking out that 60-250 made room for everything I want to carry in one case.

08-02-2020, 07:58 AM   #662
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Only the top plate is plastic - same as K-1 and as the K-new will likely be..
Pentax KP Construction and Handling
There’s so nuch misinformation out there.

Yes, indeed.
I was perfectly aware of this fact when I posted, though I did not managed to retrieve this photo of the inner body construction of KP.
Apart the edge of the flash / prism housing, there is almost no metal in the top part of the KP camera. Unlike the K-7 / K5 / K 3 cameras.
This is significant in terms of weight difference. As for toughness, I don't know.

So where is the "so much misinformation" ?
08-02-2020, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #663
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Praktica*ist Quote
I was perfectly aware of this fact when I posted, though I did not managed to retrieve this photo of the inner body construction of KP.
Apart the edge of the flash / prism housing, there is almost no metal in the top part of the KP camera. Unlike the K-7 / K5 / K 3 cameras.
This is significant in terms of weight difference. As for toughness, I don't know.

So where is the "so much misinformation" ?
I guess I don’t consider a polycarbonate top plate a “fair share of plastic”. I don’t believe it makes a meaningful difference anyway.

How many grams more would a metal top plate add to the KP?
08-02-2020, 08:39 AM   #664
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If an ounce or two of weight difference impacts a anyone's ability to enjoy photography I'd suggest you pursue a different hobby.
Collecting feathers, perhaps?
"Collecting" implies having to lug around the feathers.

In parallel with photography I would rather suggest then to refrain to the hobby of "feather specifications expertise sharing on the internet".
Much less dragging around of a down feather or two. Easier to do from the comfy armchair as well.

---------- Post added 2nd Aug 2020 at 17:40 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I actually leave the red case home now.
Sad. That was pretty camouflage luggage.

08-02-2020, 08:59 AM - 2 Likes   #665
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I have a Domke F-5XB that I use to carry a K-3ii, a 55-300PLM, 15, 21, and 40LTDs (or a 20-40mm LTD). That weighs something like 5-6 lbs and covers 15-300mm. For me 23 lbs is most of what you need on a weekend backcountry hiking trip.
I've added both the D FA* 50/1.4 and more recently the
D FA* 85/1.4, replacing the diminutive by comparison FA50/1.4 and FA77/1.8. I also exchanged the K105/2.8, M150/3.5 and M200/4 for the DFA70-210/4. That was quite a weight gain. For hikes I load up my dog with a backpack with the K1 and some of the smaller lenses.
The new lenses are heavy enough that I'm not taking them on long hikes, not that I have ever done any really long ones. I've never used gear that was conducive to that. My 6x7 kit was half again or more heavier than my present kit and my 4x5 kit was heavier still. My Zone VI tripod that I used under my 4x5 weighs nearly as much as my present full frame kit.
I've always compromised portability to get increased image quality. I moved from 35mm to medium and then large format as soon as I could afford to, and did the same thing with digital, moving from a Canon G1 to APS-C and now full frame. I'd move to medium format digital if I could afford the jump, but since I can't, I have to make do with squeezing as much quality as I can out of what I have.
Back to the K New, I hope its as good as the promise, as that bodes well for the next full frame. I'm not in the market for a new APS-C camera, but I am looking forward to seeing what they come up with as I expect some of it will trickle up to what I am in the market for.
08-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #666
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So do we have any clues as to if it will have GPS? I’ve been looking forward to having astrotracing ability in my next camera. I’ve had my K-3 since 2013 and just didn’t see the K-3II as a justifiable upgrade just for that.

If GPS can be fit into a Fitbit I hope they found the room.
08-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #667
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
So do we have any clues as to if it will have GPS? I’ve been looking forward to having astrotracing ability in my next camera. I’ve had my K-3 since 2013 and just didn’t see the K-3II as a justifiable upgrade just for that.

If GPS can be fit into a Fitbit I hope they found the room.
It may actually be harder than you think (e.g. compass has to be added too. I very much doubt little fitbits have one) but I hope so too.

08-02-2020, 02:20 PM   #668
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
MY K-1 fits in the same case as my K-3, and because I use the DA 55-300 instead of heavier lens like my DA*200 or DA*60-250, my kit is a fraction the weight of what I used to carry. And I use exactly the same case. But you'd never know it from my images.

I actually leave the red case home now. Taking out that 60-250 made room for everything I want to carry in one case.
Nice case. Your gears are well protected. Talking about the 55-300 PLM, it would be nice to have one. Unfortunately, it won't work with the k-5II. I like the images of the 60-250 but again it's the weight that I don't like to lug around. I guess if you want better lenses you have to carry that weight.
08-02-2020, 02:39 PM   #669
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice case. Your gears are well protected. Talking about the 55-300 PLM, it would be nice to have one. Unfortunately, it won't work with the k-5II. I like the images of the 60-250 but again it's the weight that I don't like to lug around. I guess if you want better lenses you have to carry that weight.
The biggest problem with the 60-250 is it's tendency to turn itself into a manual focus lens. Nice glass, but if you want something with AF that you can depend on, look at the D FA 70-210. I'm not sure if it will work with your K5II though.
Slower lenses can be very good, they will just be dim and may have more depth of field wide open than you care for.
08-02-2020, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #670
Pentaxian

This is the K1 with Sigma 500 f4.5. I think my K5 body and a couple lenses. Works fine. That with my tripod, some lunch, water and emergency gear makes for about 30lbs
08-02-2020, 03:18 PM   #671
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The biggest problem with the 60-250 is it's tendency to turn itself into a manual focus lens. Nice glass, but if you want something with AF that you can depend on, look at the D FA 70-210. I'm not sure if it will work with your K5II though.
Slower lenses can be very good, they will just be dim and may have more depth of field wide open than you care for.
The DFA 70-210 is an excellent lens. I'm just scared of its size and weight.
08-02-2020, 03:41 PM   #672
Loyal Site Supporter

The DFA 70-210 is an excellent lens. I'm just scared of its size and weight.
It is close to the same size as the 60-250, but is substantially lighter. Nearly 300 grams lighter, about 75% of the weight of the 60-250.
I'm not in love with some of it. The zoom ring is at the front. As far as I am concerned, they got it backwards. I would prefer the zoom at the back and focus at the front. Otoh, it likely won't need to be sent for repair of the AF motor every few years. That is a definite plus.
I was never comfortable with the 60-250 and it's unreliability. Not knowing if a lens is going to work when you put it on the camera does not inspire confidence in the product.
08-02-2020, 03:55 PM   #673
mee
Veteran Member

The zoom ring is at the front. As far as I am concerned, they got it backwards. I would prefer the zoom at the back and focus at the front.
Just like the Tamron it's designed from. That's how Tamron does their zoom and focus rings. I don't care for the order either (I own a number of newer Tamron lenses).
08-02-2020, 04:11 PM - 4 Likes   #674
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Just like the Tamron it's designed from. That's how Tamron does their zoom and focus rings. I don't care for the order either (I own a number of newer Tamron lenses).
Let's let this thread get back to complaining about the unknowns of the new camera. We've hijacked it a bit.
08-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #675
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let's let this thread get back to complaining about the unknowns of the new camera. We've hijacked it a bit.
I'm with Bill.
The relativities between APS-C and full frame are well known. Let's discuss the camera in question.
Closed Thread