Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2020, 10:52 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi

Would the name plate have anything to do with it in the marketing.
ie Ricoh ... innovative and fresh . ....
Pentax .. old school like a pair of slippers

Dave
I think the previous generations built a cult following that they exploited with this model. Plus most people don't pay attention to pocket cameras and there's not much competition so they don't get too beat up over specs

07-30-2020, 02:06 AM   #17
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
All weather with a retractable lens? Is that even possible?

Af haven't failed me yet..
fixed lens
07-30-2020, 02:28 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
fixed lens
Then it won't fit into your pocket.

Of course, I would love a weather resistant GR; but my GR III is still a great camera.
07-30-2020, 02:51 AM   #19
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Then it won't fit into your pocket.

Of course, I would love a weather resistant GR; but my GR III is still a great camera.
I have small pockets and big hands. Even GRIII doesn't fit my pockets. No doubt, it's good camera. I like GRIII, but want more.

07-30-2020, 07:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

fixed lens
GR line has a strong design philosophy. Changing to a fixed lens would not fit.

I'd imagine a fixed lens would be a separate camera line, bigger body, fixed lens, weather resistant, maybe a faster lens than 2.8 as well. Basically, a fuji 100 type thing.

GR fits in all of my pockets lol.
07-30-2020, 07:48 AM   #21
ogl
Banned

GR line has a strong design philosophy. Changing to a fixed lens would not fit.

I'd imagine a fixed lens would be a separate camera line, bigger body, fixed lens, weather resistant, maybe a faster lens than 2.8 as well. Basically, a fuji 100 type thing.

GR fits in all of my pockets lol.
Let it be the same lens as now. GRIII has no any weather resistance at all. OK. Not AW protection, but weather sealing like DSLR. Is it bad idea? EVF as option - I want too.
Weather sealing and EVF would be good features in next camera.
07-30-2020, 08:08 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Let it be the same lens as now. GRIII has no any weather resistance at all. OK. Not AW protection, but weather sealing like DSLR. Is it bad idea? EVF as option - I want too.
Weather sealing and EVF would be good features in next camera.
so how do you design a retractable lens with weather sealing? I'm not saying weather resistance is a bad idea, i'm just saying it's not that easy to implement given the design philosophy and the form factor of the lens.

EVF would probably make the camera larger, hence going against the philosophy as well.

Feels like you want the fuji 100 series, not a GR. Compare the size of those two cameras, let me know which one fits in the pocket better.

07-30-2020, 08:25 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I have small pockets and big hands. Even GRIII doesn't fit my pockets. No doubt, it's good camera. I like GRIII, but want more.
The GR III fits my t-shirt's pocket.
07-30-2020, 08:37 AM   #24
ogl
Banned

so how do you design a retractable lens with weather sealing? I'm not saying weather resistance is a bad idea, i'm just saying it's not that easy to implement given the design philosophy and the form factor of the lens.

EVF would probably make the camera larger, hence going against the philosophy as well.

Feels like you want the fuji 100 series, not a GR. Compare the size of those two cameras, let me know which one fits in the pocket better.
Mistake. I don't want Fuji.
Does DSLR have big hole named K-mount? But DSLR has weather sealing. Not all lenses are AW or WR, but camera is.
EVF like in GXR. As option. Removable.
07-30-2020, 08:38 AM   #25
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The GR III fits my t-shirt's pocket.
Good
07-30-2020, 09:46 AM   #26
Pentaxian

All weather with a retractable lens? Is that even possible?
Presumably they would build it the same way AW zoom lenses are built.
The lens would have only a short distance to go, so 'sucking in water' should not be as much of a problem.
07-30-2020, 09:48 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Does DSLR have big hole named K-mount? But DSLR has weather sealing. Not all lenses are AW or WR, but camera is.
I'm not saying you want Fuji, I'm just saying you just described it.

So in your mind, there is no difference between a dslr lens, and a retractable lens?

I don't think it's likely, but who knows. I'm looking at the way lens is folding into the body, and can't see how they can add gaskets that would seal the camera. Inevitably, when the lens folds in, if there's any water on the lens it would pull it into the body as well right?

Aren't all WR lenses have internal zooms or are primes with no protruding elements?

---------- Post added 07-30-20 at 12:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Presumably they would build it the same way AW zoom lenses are built.
The lens would have only a short distance to go, so 'sucking in water' should not be as much of a problem.
Why would it not suck in water. If the camera is covered in rain water

Last edited by awscreo; 07-30-2020 at 09:54 AM.
07-30-2020, 10:19 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The problem is not the body but the lens.
07-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not saying you want Fuji, I'm just saying you just described it.

So in your mind, there is no difference between a dslr lens, and a retractable lens?
[...]
Aren't all WR lenses have internal zooms or are primes with no protruding elements? ...
So how does the DA 18-50 WR RE work then???

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/hd-pentax-da-18-50mm-f4-56-dc-wr-re.html

Last edited by phoebus; 07-30-2020 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Add link to lens review
07-30-2020, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
OK, I'd imagine it works the same way as the dfa 28-105 that I have. There are rubber seals between the tubes that retract out. However, you can definitely feel the resistance of the seals when you're extending/retracting the lens (my one does for sure), which makes sense as the seal needs to have enough pressure between the surfaces to prevent water from entering.

I don't think whatever motors they are using in gr body can overcome that resistance. Maybe bigger motors? Bigger motors - more space required in already tiny body of the gr.

It's not that I'm against weather resistance lol, I'd love that. However, i think sealing that lens would be rather difficult.

Maybe they can seal the body, and release a weather resistant adapter that would allow for complete weather resistance (they can probably add seals to the GA-1 adapter) with a filter on (uv, cpl, whatever it is). That would mirror how resistance works in dslr, some lenses are resistant, some aren't.