Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2020, 11:12 AM   #1

K-70 replacement model?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I see a number of retailers in Canada are listing both the K-70 and KP as discontinued - unavailable for order. With the new flagship coming, I get why the KP might be discontinued, so I wonder if there has been mention of a refresh to the ‘double digit‘ model line? I also see the DA 18-135 lens listed as discontinued in places. Maybe a new PLM version in the offing? Or is that just hopeful thinking? In any event, it is encouraging to see new Pentax products appearing alongside close out product such that retailers seem committed to supporting the brand going forward.

07-26-2020, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter_JDH Quote
I see a number of retailers in Canada are listing both the K-70 and KP as discontinued - unavailable for order. With the new flagship coming, I get why the KP might be discontinued, so I wonder if there has been mention of a refresh to the ‘double digit‘ model line? I also see the DA 18-135 lens listed as discontinued in places. Maybe a new PLM version in the offing? Or is that just hopeful thinking? In any event, it is encouraging to see new Pentax products appearing alongside close out product such that retailers seem committed to supporting the brand going forward.
Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if a KP replacement became the entry Pentax model - the “double digit” models have the whole aperture control thing to live down. In any case, I would not become too anxious - think of how long ‘flagship’ users have waited.
07-26-2020, 12:00 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If K-70 is showing as unavailable or discontinued, it is probably just the strange nature of the movement of goods in the age of COVID-19. Henry's says "special order" for K-70. Camera Canada has the K-70 in stock and on sale. While a replacement may certainly be due for the K-70, I would not expect such to be imminent.

Steve
07-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't believe either camera is discontinued. It would be surprising (but not inpossible) to see either get replaced before the flagship.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-26-2020, 01:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I believe it's just a supply issue (rather, a production issue generated by component supply).
07-26-2020, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I am surprised by KP replacement. It fils well under Knew with attractive pricing. That being said a KP available in the 600-700 USD does not leave much room for a K70 replacement around 500 USD...
07-26-2020, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I am surprised by KP replacement. It fils well under Knew with attractive pricing. That being said a KP available in the 600-700 USD does not leave much room for a K70 replacement around 500 USD...
K70 won't be replaced IMO

KP - K-new - K1 II (and respective replacements)

07-30-2020, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
K70 won't be replaced IMO

KP - K-new - K1 II (and respective replacements)
I feel the same way. KP line for street/travel (compact body that plays well with Limiteds and lightweight zooms like 18-135/55-300), K-New line for action-oriented photography (deeper grip to hold the large lenses better, best AF/frame rate that Pentax can offer gets debuted here), K-1 as outdoors/portrait camera (chock-full of features, uncompromising IQ).

Maybe we'll see a merger of the K-70/KP lines into something with the KP's build quality but the more "conventional" DSLR form factor and size of the K-70? It would still be in the price range of the KP most likely, however.
07-30-2020, 11:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Amazon Canada still show the KP in Canada.
Amazon Canada: Pentax KP Ultra-Compact Weatherproof Dynamic Black Body 24.32Mp DSLR with 3" LCD, Black
and the user rating is 4.6 out of 5 . Really great .
I have one and still very happy Use it all week and absolutly the best APSC from pentax up to now.
My feeling is also KP - K-new - K1 II

07-30-2020, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #10
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The situation in Japan is that one usually reliable shop (Map Camera) is listing the Silver version of the KP only as out of production, but still has stock. The official Ricoh store also shows the silver version as out of stock. At the moment it is still easy to find a silver one if you want that.

There is no indication that the black KP or either colour of the K-70 are discontinued. The price comparison site Kakaku.com shows them as available from around 50 vendors, which is normal for a current Pentax model.

As for the J Limited KP, it is still listed but it was always made to order with a one-month delivery time so trying to track whether it is in stock is not relevant.
08-01-2020, 02:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

If the KP is discontinued, I hope for a newer version. I would go for it if I have some spare cash. I'm just a sucker for retro cameras. I really like the way cameras look in the 80s. To me KP is closest to it.
08-01-2020, 03:18 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
If the KP is discontinued, I hope for a newer version. I would go for it if I have some spare cash. I'm just a sucker for retro cameras. I really like the way cameras look in the 80s. To me KP is closest to it.
When my silver KP arrived, my wife thought I had left my "Super Program" {purchased in 1983) out.
08-01-2020, 06:12 PM   #13

I don't see the need for a new KP considering it still holds up well vs. the competition and at a price that's very competitive ($750). Pentax can give it a cheap "refresh" with the production of another grip. Why did they make interchangeable grips in the first place if they would never release another?
08-02-2020, 01:12 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
I don't see the need for a new KP considering it still holds up well vs. the competition and at a price that's very competitive ($750). Pentax can give it a cheap "refresh" with the production of another grip. Why did they make interchangeable grips in the first place if they would never release another?
Probably not now but in the future. I don't have one but I'm wishing for one. Basing on the review of it's image quality at low light high ISO shots, I like it a lot. Again the great plus for me is the retro look.

---------- Post added 08-02-20 at 04:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When my silver KP arrived, my wife thought I had left my "Super Program" {purchased in 1983) out.
It sure looks like the super program. Maybe next time Pentax will come up with a super ME D. Remember you've first read it here at Pentax forums.com.
08-06-2020, 03:57 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
They did it exactly with KP J Limited edition.
If you add the D-BG7 grip it's already 5 combinations available.