Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 597 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2020, 01:52 AM   #211
Veteran Member

How could K-New use PDAF-pixels for AF when using OVF? Mirror blocks the sensor. What is left would be liveview PDAF and good luck with that since the damn thing is fixed. They really shot their own leg with this if there really is PDAF capable sensor. And, if it is the same as in Fuji X-T3+, then it is capable.

09-05-2020, 02:02 AM - 3 Likes   #212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
We'll if Pentax had to listen to those idiots they'd be dead a long time ago.
a little less nuanced than my response, but more to the point
09-05-2020, 02:05 AM   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
How could K-New use PDAF-pixels for AF when using OVF? Mirror blocks the sensor. What is left would be liveview PDAF and good luck with that since the damn thing is fixed. They really shot their own leg with this if there really is PDAF capable sensor. And, if it is the same as in Fuji X-T3+, then it is capable.
I'm interested to know if Sony are still making new non-PDAF sensors, given that Pentax is too small for them to make one especially for them - genuine question
09-05-2020, 02:22 AM   #214
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I tend not to use live view even on tripod. I find framing through the viewfinder better. However having seen lots of zombie style live view shooters on youtube it seems they use the screen in the flush position. I've been really surprised about it so I've kept noticing it for a few years. A lot of youtube portrait photographers shoot live view zombie style with flush screens. That dpreview guy does it all the time as well . For shots where there is no advantage to zombie style people still do it!

I have no idea if this is just something random that comes with the gene that makes you a youtuber or if it's something a lot of people actually do. Regardless I wouldn't dismiss it until I see data how people actually use their cameras. My mind boggles as to why but "people are strange".

*your post was a bit unclear so I just went with my interpretation of it

09-05-2020, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #215
Veteran Member

I meant that articulating screen could be used from waist level to prevent camera shake. And to support heavy lenses better.
09-05-2020, 02:41 AM   #216
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
seen lots of zombie style live view shooters on youtube ..... A lot of youtube portrait photographers shoot live view zombie style
Sorry, what is "zombie style"?
09-05-2020, 02:50 AM - 2 Likes   #217
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'm interested to know if Sony are still making new non-PDAF sensors, given that Pentax is too small for them to make one especially for them - genuine question
Ricoh seems to be able to source a non-PDAF sensor for the KP and it performs a tiny bit better than the PDAF-equipped one in the K-70. I think it is perfectly possible for Ricoh to have a custom order sensor made for them as long as they are prepared to pay for it. In the case of the N-new, it rumored to be more expensive than past cameras, so there might be room in the budget for that. However, I personally think the AF sensor, the AE sensor and the accelerator are where the innovation is going to be. It may not make sense to have an expensive sensor made for a minimal gain, when other parts of the camera will have more impact on image quality.

Just to give one example of where Ricoh does currently use custom sensors, the Theta Z1 has them. There are no other cameras with one inch 3:4 aspect sensors as far as I'm aware. So it is possible.

09-05-2020, 03:08 AM   #218

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I think "zombie style" simply refers to people staring into a screen. Like when you see someone walking down the street, staring into their smartphone. They look like zombies mindlessly strolling along.
09-05-2020, 03:38 AM - 3 Likes   #219
Forum Member

As it seems, the K-New will be priced in an area where you could easily get a KP, some spare batteries (or the battery grip), a high quality SD card and a good lens for, if I wanted to upgrade my K-5 with a flip screen model, then this would be my way to go.
09-05-2020, 03:45 AM - 2 Likes   #220
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
I think "zombie style" simply refers to people staring into a screen. Like when you see someone walking down the street, staring into their smartphone. They look like zombies mindlessly strolling along.
Don't forget the outstretched arms...
In my case, it's to push the phone far enough away to see the screen properly...

For the zombies, they're reaching for your brains....

-Eric
09-05-2020, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #221
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Don't forget the outstretched arms...
In my case, it's to push the phone far enough away to see the screen properly...

For the zombies, they're reaching for your brains....

-Eric
That's it! The typical arms straight out zombie reaching for brains pose.
When live view shooting (I do it with my GR) you tend to hold the camera far from your face arms straight.
09-05-2020, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #222
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
When I use the expression, it means holding a camera / phone with stiff arms as far away from the eyes as possible, the way some people hold cell phones to take a photo. It is the opposite of the stable against-the-face position I learned 60+ years ago.
09-05-2020, 06:21 AM - 2 Likes   #223

I may sound pretty old right now, but I find it utterly depressing to watch. It's a sad sight to see people walking around in their own little smartphone cocoon.
09-05-2020, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #224
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by universalfocus Quote
if I wanted to upgrade my K-5 with a flip screen model, then this would be my way to go.
I too am looking to upgrade my K-5.
I recently also had a K-S2 which gave me a flippy screen - but it died on me recently (shutter count 50,528).

I plan to get the K-New when it is released, and I had planned to retire the K-5 and keep the K-S2.. but now...
It really sucks that the K-5 doesn't support KAF4..

I might look to get a K-70 and sell the K-5.. use that for a back up camera (that also has the flippy if I need it).
Still very excited for the K-New!

---------- Post added 09-05-20 at 10:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
It's a sad sight to see people walking around in their own little smartphone cocoon.
As a "millennial", who remembers life without the internet, but came of age with a phone in my hand...

I see the 'cocoon' as no real difference (just scaled) as seeing pictures in New York in the 1950s where everyone has a newspaper in their face.
I've seen lots of photos of people riding the bus, and every single one of them has a giant newspaper open and in their face.
I've seen lots of photos similar of people walking down the street, reading their newspaper..

Last edited by FozzFoster; 09-05-2020 at 08:55 AM.
09-05-2020, 01:11 PM   #225

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Just for the fun of it, the K-New-II (with a K1 screen).
It's what I was hoping for when the K-1 was released. And l also am not impressed with a few millimeters here or there. Confirmation of the fixed screen confirms for me that I will be renting an XT-4 before I make any decision about my next camera, but it's going to be very difficult to pull me away from Pentax. To each his own.
Closed Thread