Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 597 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2020, 07:09 AM - 4 Likes   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Funny - for me there is no "balance" problem with the KP, even with the smallest available grip. I learned to have my right hand on the body and my left hand on the lens, and even with the 77-420mm {55-300 + 1.4X TC} lens that works fine for me - the left hand just bears a higher proportion of the weight.
Oh Indeed. I’ve held a camera with two hands, just as you describe, since 1969 when I first started taking photographs - with a Spotmatic - for my High School newspaper. I like the KP, but I am more comfortable with shorter, lighter lenses. I’ve started using a monopod with long, heavy lenses and KP.

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The KP is still quite chunky and the PLM + TC is a fair bit lighter than the body itself, so I'm not surprised. Now if you were to put a 1 kg+ lens on it that would probably be a different story...

For reference, I've been using a Sigma 400/5.6 (~850g) on my K-1 lately, and it's comfortable. Handholding 400mm is tough because of just how still one has to be, but the weight itself isn't a problem - the center of gravity is still close to the body (of the operator, I mean )
I think the issues I have holding the FA*80-200/2.8 steady with KP is that large, heavy front element. It is just easier to do with the greater mass and larger grip of the K-1.

08-04-2020, 03:04 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
If one went by camera format usage by members here the thread where you post your K1/K1-II photographs is larger than almost all the other similar threads combined.

If I get the K-New I will probably upgrade from my current DA55-300 to the PLM model too for better autofocus. Battery grip too. Often included in pre-orders so why not? I would prefer a FF camera with the upgraded features, but I doubt it will be out anytime soon. Probably 2022 or later This is merely my guess based upon current rate of new camera model introductions. Being "stuck" with only the K1, K1-II and K3 at the moment is not a bad thing at all.
I think a lot of Pentaxians have upgraded to K-1 or K-1 IIs over time. Many of the people who were really active in the K-5 and K-3 photo threads now post pretty excusively in the K-1 thread.

I have a K-3 and would like to upgrade it at some point. Having the faster frame rate and higher pixel density is nice for telephoto and action photography and even for macro photos with the DFA *100, I don't really see a lot of benefit for full frame over APS-C.

I do hope that next year sees a K-1 III (or whatever they'll call it) come out with many of the same improvements that the K-new will have. Faster frame rate, better auto focus, deeper buffer, generally quicker action. Maybe get the processing of handheld pixel shift down to 5 or 10 seconds. Anyway, just my two cents, I guess...
08-04-2020, 12:46 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This new OVF sounds like just what I value in a camera! I'd consider it a possible replacement for my K-1 if it had just one VF feature- a square crop frame option. Please throw in 4:3 for good measure, since at least half my personal photos get cropped that way. Heck, with more than 24 mpx, give me a 1:5 crop frame, too. The best aspect of the K-1 is that it gives me three quick framing options at once. Most mirrorless cameras do this, but it's not a unique capability.
08-04-2020, 09:06 PM - 3 Likes   #49
Veteran Member

Been waiting a while to upgrade my K200D. This might be the time...

08-04-2020, 09:26 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
AB-SOL-UTE-LY! What a contrast that will be.
08-05-2020, 01:50 AM   #51
Veteran Member

a long while... due upgrade indeed
08-05-2020, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What is this? ISOs above 800 that look fantastic?!

-Eric

08-05-2020, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

Buy the new APS-C and it will be fantastic for many reasons, but I wouldn't sell that K200D... if you appreciate those CCD sensor colors and its look especially at around ISO 100... there's times when you can't get that look anywhere else.
08-05-2020, 06:23 AM - 3 Likes   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Buy the new APS-C and it will be fantastic for many reasons, but I wouldn't sell that K200D... if you appreciate those CCD sensor colors and its look especially at around ISO 100... there's times when you can't get that look anywhere else.
No reason to sell anything.
08-05-2020, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
No reason to sell anything.
Yeah it's not like it would pay even 10% of what the new APS-C will cost, anyway...
08-05-2020, 09:11 AM - 2 Likes   #56
Veteran Member

Don't worry, I won't sell the K200D. Hopefully my kids will use it to learn someday!
08-05-2020, 05:14 PM - 7 Likes   #57
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The most interesting bit of print in that article, for me is this line: "Based on this concept, we’re adding a wide range of advanced PENTAX technologies. Our goal is to develop a camera that our users will say is the best PENTAX APS-C-format digital SLR camera ever."

Wide range. I'm really interested to see what surprises they're not talking about yet.
08-05-2020, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The most interesting bit of print in that article, for me is this line: "Based on this concept, we’re adding a wide range of advanced PENTAX technologies. Our goal is to develop a camera that our users will say is the best PENTAX APS-C-format digital SLR camera ever."

Wide range. I'm really interested to see what surprises they're not talking about yet.

Yes indeed, this is going to be interesting for sure.
08-05-2020, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

I wish Pentax would have a model naming sweepstakes.
08-06-2020, 12:27 AM - 12 Likes   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
I wish Pentax would have a model naming sweepstakes.
If they did, given how we like to act, I'm quite sure the winning name would be:
K-omplain

Last edited by Gianclaudio; 08-06-2020 at 09:01 AM.
Closed Thread