Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2020, 03:37 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Product Stories of New APS-C

Pentax are releasing a series of articles about the development and production of the new Pentax APS-C Flagship Camera.

In Vol. 1 Shigeru Wakashiro, who is in charge of the planning and development of new Pentax DSLRs, focuses on the design process behind the new pentaprism.

In Vol. 2 Shigeru Wakashiro highlights how the viewfinder protrudes ~3mm more (compared to the K-3 II), helping the user to avoid smudging the back LCD with their nose. The eye sensor (below the viewfinder window) is explained as dimming the back LCD panel when one uses the viewfinder.

Vol. 3 explains how prioritising viewfinder usage, clearance between nose and back LCD, compactness and sturdiness of design, and maximising monitor size, led to the decision to use a fixed back LCD.

Last edited by Class A; 09-03-2020 at 11:13 PM.
07-31-2020, 03:46 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They are certainly making a lot of fuzz about this camera.
My expectations are on the rise.....
07-31-2020, 04:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
"Now, equipped with this viewfinder, our new APS-C-format digital SLR flagship provides a viewing angle as wide as that of the full-frame PENTAX K-1."

What does that even mean? Does it mean that, with a 50mm lens say, the view through the viewfinder will be like that on a FF camera, but the sensor will only record a crop of that? That doesn't sound like a very good idea.
07-31-2020, 04:02 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No. It means that the view has a larger angle than previously on APS. It forms a bigger image.

07-31-2020, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
No. It means that the view has a larger angle than previously on APS. It forms a bigger image.
Which is NOT what is usually meant by "viewing angle" or "angle of view".
07-31-2020, 04:18 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

I have always said that I'm not a technical person and I have always accepted the flaws and defects of the system I've chosen. At this point, I'm just going to wait for it to come out and wait further how it works based on everyone's feedback before getting one.
07-31-2020, 04:33 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I have always said that I'm not a technical person and I have always accepted the flaws and defects of the system I've chosen. At this point, I'm just going to wait for it to come out and wait further how it works based on everyone's feedback before getting one.
I have always hung back too. However, in this instance, I think I will jump very early. It has been a long time between flagship APS-C drinks, and especially since my K3.

07-31-2020, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I have always hung back too. However, in this instance, I think I will jump very early. It has been a long time between flagship APS-C drinks, and especially since my K3.
Me too, the KP never really appealed and I kept hanging for the K3 replacement, it is nice to see some marketing regarding the new model, very unPentax pre release information.
07-31-2020, 05:35 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Depends on the assumed reference.

The new APS-C camera will show the standard APS-C crop in the viewfinder but with a larger apparent size (compared to standard APS-C viewfinders). This means your eye has a larger viewing angle to cover.
07-31-2020, 06:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I look forward to this camera's release.
07-31-2020, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am so glad that Pentax is going to keep producing DSLR cameras, but I don't like the idea of Pentax's new camera being an APS-C. I had a K3-II and I own a KP and I also own a K1 and K1 Mark ii and the APS-C cameras can't and don't touch my K1 or K1 Mark II in IQ. I wish they were making a new flagship full frame camera. Now don't get all bent out of shape because I said I want a Full Frame instead of a crop camera. It is just my preference and I am looking forward to the day Pentax makes a New Full Frame K1 type Camera
07-31-2020, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It is descriptive and equivalent to simply stating the magnification.

Steve
07-31-2020, 08:39 AM - 5 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
I am so glad that Pentax is going to keep producing DSLR cameras, but I don't like the idea of Pentax's new camera being an APS-C. I had a K3-II and I own a KP and I also own a K1 and K1 Mark ii and the APS-C cameras can't and don't touch my K1 or K1 Mark II in IQ. I wish they were making a new flagship full frame camera. Now don't get all bent out of shape because I said I want a Full Frame instead of a crop camera. It is just my preference and I am looking forward to the day Pentax makes a New Full Frame K1 type Camera
The APS-C flagship is long overdue. Don't worry, a FF camera will follow.
07-31-2020, 08:40 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
I wish they were making a new flagship full frame camera. Now don't get all bent out of shape because I said I want a Full Frame instead of a crop camera.
Not bent out of shape, just sad for your disappointment.

Steve

(...are we drifting off-topic yet?)
07-31-2020, 08:43 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not bent out of shape, just sad for your disappointment.

Steve

(...are we drifting off-topic yet?)
Sorry, did not mean to take us off subject stevebrot
Closed Thread