Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2020, 09:00 AM - 8 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Two things would catch my attention: less megapixels and if they're not going to offer FF, make an APS-C with a FF-like optical viewfinder.
I wrote this nearly six years ago in another thread about what was wanted in a K-3 replacement. I love a nice optical viewfinder.

07-31-2020, 09:21 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes builttospill, I love a nice optical viewfinder, that is why I sold my mirrorless Sony a7iii, because I did not like the view finder and I love the one in my K1
07-31-2020, 09:33 AM   #18

Excellent find, thank you for sharing this. Ricoh set up a "Special Site" for the K-1/ii, I wonder why they haven't done so with the new APS-C? Perhaps they are waiting for the release of the name.
07-31-2020, 09:44 AM - 5 Likes   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I wrote this nearly six years ago in another thread about what was wanted in a K-3 replacement. I love a nice optical viewfinder.
People may downplay the significance of the new prism/finder, but that high a magnification with 100% coverage is pretty impressive. With any luck, the new prism will be offered with an improved standard focusing screen, one with greater ability to detect out-of-focus.

Steve

07-31-2020, 09:48 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Excellent find, thank you for sharing this. Ricoh set up a "Special Site" for the K-1/ii, I wonder why they haven't done so with the new APS-C? Perhaps they are waiting for the release of the name.
Market forces create the need for industrial/commercial secrecy, and not just with Pentax but with others also. I'm sure they will create a website for the new camera.
07-31-2020, 10:08 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
People may downplay the significance of the new prism/finder, but that high a magnification with 100% coverage is pretty impressive. With any luck, the new prism will be offered with an improved standard focusing screen, one with greater ability to detect out-of-focus.

Steve
That would be great! And just the possibility to upscale this prism technology to FF... amazing
07-31-2020, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Purposeful looking beast isn't it? Especially with the grip!

07-31-2020, 10:15 AM   #23

High refractive index lenses for eyeglasses cost me 2-3× what regular lenses do. I would image a new glass formula would be much more expensive as well. Leaving out some features would keep the overall MSRP down but I expect even when adjusted for inflation and exchange rates the New to be higher priced than the K-3 or KP at release.
07-31-2020, 10:38 AM   #24
Pentaxian

High refractive index lenses for eyeglasses cost me 2-3× what regular lenses do. I would image a new glass formula would be much more expensive as well. Leaving out some features would keep the overall MSRP down but I expect even when adjusted for inflation and exchange rates the New to be higher priced than the K-3 or KP at release.
I'm betting it will be higher priced, and I don't mind. Other makers charge >$3K for what they choose to offer, which is mostly, as if they all were lemmings, high burst rate and 4K video. What Pentax puts in its rugged, high-quality cameras is what I vastly prefer. Don't forget that the sensor's processing is being upgraded also. One reviewer already compared the EXACT SAME 36mpx sensor used in K-1 against its use in a Nikon and a Sony. Pentax Prime IV processing performed better.
07-31-2020, 11:19 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They have, actually. The hub is here: Product stories of new K-mount APS-C DSLR flagship camera | RICOH IMAGING, although for some reason the article linked in the OP does not have a "go back" button - you have to click on "explore" and select "New APS-C Flagship Camera" in there.

---------- Post added 07-31-20 at 11:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
"Now, equipped with this viewfinder, our new APS-C-format digital SLR flagship provides a viewing angle as wide as that of the full-frame PENTAX K-1."

What does that even mean? Does it mean that, with a 50mm lens say, the view through the viewfinder will be like that on a FF camera, but the sensor will only record a crop of that? That doesn't sound like a very good idea.
The viewing angle from your eye to the edge of the OVF - if the magnification is 1.5x of the K-1's with the same crop factor then the apparent OVF area is the same for both cameras. As it is now the K-1's VF is ~12% larger than the one found in the KP/K-3.
07-31-2020, 12:01 PM - 3 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have it all figured out. This camera is going to have blazing fast autofocus with the best tracking and predictive focus system ever. I am going to be an early adopter and my life will be filled with joy. Then the first time I mount my D FA 150-450 onto the camera the front half of the lens is going to fall off.
07-31-2020, 12:03 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
They have, actually.
But Ricoh is not calling it a Special Site as they did with the K-1.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-1/special/
07-31-2020, 12:30 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But Ricoh is not calling it a Special Site as they did with the K-1.

PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING
Oh, my mistake. Then it's (almost) certainly because they are waiting to reveal the specs and name.
07-31-2020, 03:12 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
"Now, equipped with this viewfinder, our new APS-C-format digital SLR flagship provides a viewing angle as wide as that of the full-frame PENTAX K-1."

What does that even mean?
It means that someone is using a Japanese to English translation program.
07-31-2020, 03:28 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It means that someone is using a Japanese to English translation program.
The sentence is perfectly accurate... since the viewing angle is between your eyes and the edge of the viewfinder. It's, however precise, a clunky way of saying that. Either they wanted to be ridiculously, technically specific or it was a translation program as you say
Closed Thread