Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2020, 05:54 AM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know we'd seen this before, but I'm also quite interested in the top LCD - having gone tiny in the K-1 and disappeared altogether in the KP, they've hit reverse hard ith this one. [Interesting also that most square top screens are OLED, but this doesn't appear to be from hat we've seen (pale not dark grey).] The 1" square shape is by definition a new layout, though.

09-04-2020, 06:03 AM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
As I and others have said before, whether you agree with the decisions they make, the design team produce rational carefully thought out cameras rather than just throw a bunch of features together because they can. This approach doesn't always go down well with commenters, but does indeed produce cameras that are a pleasure to use, and I hope more people will come to realise this.
Do you think it is possible to attach a phone to the camera, maybe using some kind of device screwed into the camera bottom, as for tripods? One could have a larger and better screen, even if not equally ergonomic.
09-04-2020, 06:07 AM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cartesio Quote
Do you think it is possible to attach a phone to the camera, maybe using some kind of device screwed into the camera bottom, as for tripods? One could have a larger and better screen, even if not equally ergonomic.
I'm sure it's possible, if somebody chose to make such a bracket - I'll come back to you on desirability - takes a little thought!
09-04-2020, 06:08 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One more thing on the cross section - there's something slightly different to the K-1 going on directly behind the sensor - significant??

09-04-2020, 06:16 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
One more thing on the cross section - there's something slightly different to the K-1 going on directly behind the sensor - significant??
Less space and/or better packed electronics. It's similar to the KP, which had less distance from sensor to screen than the K-5 (!). The Pentax guys know how to make the cameras nicely slim, for sure.
09-04-2020, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #111
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

"At PENTAX, we prioritize viewfinder shooting, so we pay the utmost attention to the appearance of the viewfinder image, and to the camera’s image-tracking performance."

I feel like Pentax is planting it's feet down and saying "Yes - we can have good AF" (a negative aspect towards Pentax for decades).
I don't know about you, but my experience says that the LCD is garbage for tracking subjects and the viewfinder allows me to keep a frame on the subject while they are moving...

Can't make everyone happy..
Think about it - the Nikon D500 only has like 20 MP... I am sure that excluded a lot of Nikon photographers from desiring the D500.
09-04-2020, 06:50 AM   #112
Pentaxian

Sounds like an ultra durable awesome camera. I'm still wondering how much improvement Ricoh put into the AF system. I guess well find out soon sooner or later.

09-04-2020, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #113
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I don't know about you, but my experience says that the LCD is garbage for tracking subjects and the viewfinder allows me to keep a frame on the subject while they are moving...
You mean you don't use "Zombie Mode" while photographing moving targets??

I do know I am having to change my habits of photography. I have to remember to track a target for a few seconds before pressing the shutter completely, instead of pressing the shutter only at the point when I want to take a photo.
09-04-2020, 07:28 AM   #114
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Think about it - the Nikon D500 only has like 20 MP... .
It's 2016 year camera. 21 MP.
09-04-2020, 07:32 AM   #115

Pentax isn't dumb (are they?) so I fully expect to see some sort of phone tethering, with a hotshoe attachment for your phone, so you can have a flippy screen if you want one.

At least this officially puts it to bed, so the threads will hopefully be less crowded now that all the "I won't buy it if it doesn't have a flippy screen" folks have no reason to participate further.
09-04-2020, 07:32 AM - 2 Likes   #116
Veteran Member

With this fixed K-new LCD, while it is nice that it may be a tiny bit larger than the K-3's 3.2-inch LCD monitor, I mainly hope that it has a very wide viewing angle, and that it performs great in daylight too. And if they have implemented a touch screen, hopefully it will allow control of both the menus PLUS shooting options like focus point selection.
09-04-2020, 07:39 AM   #117
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's 2016 year camera. 21 MP.
and my 2015, $500, entry-level Pentax K-S2 had 20MP... I think you've proved my point

Edit:
They were able to squeeze 24.2 MP in the Nikon D3200 and it was made in 2012 and only costs like $500 CAD..
How come they only put 21 MP in the Nikon D500, made in 2016, and I'd have to pay like $2100 CAD
Cause they had to make a compromise somewhere... and it probably excluded someone from purchasing it.

Same with the tilty screen on the K-New...

Last edited by FozzFoster; 09-04-2020 at 07:54 AM.
09-04-2020, 07:48 AM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
With this fixed K-new LCD, while it is nice that it may be a tiny bit larger than the K-3's 3.2-inch LCD monitor, I mainly hope that it has a very wide viewing angle
My KP has a wide viewing angle. Sometimes I don't bother to flip the screen for just a moment. Why would they step back on that?
09-04-2020, 07:48 AM   #119
ogl
Banned

I understand the logic of Ricoh with compactness, but tilting LCD is the mainstream and all previous cameras of Pentax have such LCD.
And all new cameras of other brands have tilting screen. It's not problem for me, but tilting LCD for cats, insects, macro and flowers and so on is helpful thing...
09-04-2020, 07:53 AM   #120

About the 3mm difference in body size vs KP: it must be a mere coincidence that Ricoh keeps bringing up the extra 3mm of the eyepiece.

Ricoh also mentions that a flippy screen would have meant a smaller screen.

Seems to me their priorities are on the strengths of Pentax:
OVF
Image Quality
Ergonomics/ruggedness

All the while concentrating on their major weakness: AF.

Seems to me they have it right.
Closed Thread