Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2020, 07:53 AM - 2 Likes   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
all previous cameras of Pentax have such LCD.
The last four cameras by Pentax.
K-70, KP, K-1, K-1ii have some sort of moveable screen - but not K-3ii.

No flagship "APS-C" cameras have such a LCD.

09-04-2020, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #122
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
are we talking about the same brand here?

is the mainstream
Mirrorless is the mainstream... should Pentax play copycat everywhere?

and all previous cameras of Pentax have such LCD.
K-7, K-5, K-5ii, K-5iis, K-3, K-3ii

It's not problem for me
it is a problem for me, especially with Astro photography. but I understand the theme of the camera and I understand Pentax can't make everyone happy.
09-04-2020, 08:00 AM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My KP has a wide viewing angle. Sometimes I don't bother to flip the screen for just a moment. Why would they step back on that?
I don't know if this holds true today, but there was a time when touch screens generally had poorer viewing angles than fixed. The touch screens had a top layer that made them more reflective.
09-04-2020, 08:01 AM   #124
Veteran Member

Why would they step back on that?
Who knows. Maybe they haven't .

But different technology in the LCD (ie touch), or a desire for a tiny bit more compactness (ie thinner glass, less air-gap) could require some compromises with the LCD's viewability.

09-04-2020, 08:09 AM - 3 Likes   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
If Pentax decided to go back to a 14-16 MP sensor and 9 11 (oops) AF points people would bring out pitchforks, torches, and probably depleted uranium rounds.

Last edited by Serkevan; 09-04-2020 at 08:24 AM.
09-04-2020, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #126
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
probably depleted uranium rounds.
Agreed - but there are also themes and features carried forward that were deemed excellent starting from even before the K-7 lineup.
Compactness has been a theme for cameras since the dawn of cameras.

It could be said that the new APS-C line up is simply a compact K-1.

Last edited by FozzFoster; 09-04-2020 at 08:16 AM.
09-04-2020, 08:11 AM   #127
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The new optical viewfinder must be extraordinary to trade a few millimetres for usefulness. I wear glasses, shoot with my right eye and so have never found nose on LCD to be a problem personally. But Pentax obviously wants the photographer to be immersed as possible in their new viewfinder, without distraction or physical inconvience. I really hope they succeed. I've just ordered a second spare KP battery.

09-04-2020, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed - but there are also themes and features carried forward that were deemed excellent starting from even before the K-7 lineup.
Compactness has been a theme for cameras since the dawn of cameras.
Absolutely - I'm not even mad that the screen is fixed since I wasn't going to buy the camera regardless. The fixed screen is something that could be seen like a step back* since it only "gains" a couple mm and 0.2" of screen size, but ultimately it's what it is. The camera will just have to stand on everything else. And I think, from what we've seen, that it will.

*I don't think a whole lot of people decided not to buy a tilty-screen camera because it had a tilty screen. The opposite is... probably more frequent. Then again, I'm also fairly certain that for a large percentage neither fixed nor movable is a hard requirement.

---------- Post added 09-04-20 at 08:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
The new optical viewfinder must be extraordinary to trade a few millimetres for usefulness. I wear glasses, shoot with my right eye and so have never found nose on LCD to be a problem personally. But Pentax obviously wants the photographer to be immersed as possible in their new viewfinder, without distraction or physical inconvience. I really hope they succeed. I've just ordered a second spare KP battery.
The extra clearance comes into play to use the thumb as AF joystick on the touchscreen. Although, considering that with glasses AND the substantial extra clearance of the ME-53 I still smush myself (left eye to OVF here) against the LCD, I think the viscoelasticity of the human face is far more important than the clearance

Last edited by Serkevan; 09-04-2020 at 08:21 AM.
09-04-2020, 08:35 AM   #129
ogl
Banned

The last four cameras by Pentax.
K-70, KP, K-1, K-1ii have some sort of moveable screen - but not K-3ii.

No flagship "APS-C" cameras have such a LCD.
sorry, it's lame logic...K-3 (II is minor update) is the camera of October, 2013...SEVEN YEARS AGO...old project.
k-new is the new project.

why lower class cameras and higher have it, but new one has no....as for me it's strange.

You forgot K-S2 and 645Z...
09-04-2020, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #130
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
The new optical viewfinder must be extraordinary to trade a few millimetres for usefulness.
If the camera has outstanding AF, it's not a big deal the size of VF - 100% 1x or 100% 0.95x
09-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #131
Pentaxian

If the camera has outstanding AF, it's not a big deal the size of VF - 100% 1x or 100% 0.95x
Given that I switched to FF in large part for the viewfinder, 100% 1.05X is a big deal.
A FF 100% 0.8X viewfinder on the next K-1 would be even better
09-04-2020, 08:42 AM   #132
ogl
Banned

We live in 2020 year, close to 2021...I mean the last time cameras which still selling now...
Please, don't use literal interpretation...
09-04-2020, 08:45 AM   #133
ogl
Banned

Mirrorless is the mainstream... should Pentax play copycat everywhere?
you compare the detail, part of camera with one of direction of camera development....
you can't compare noncomparable things....
09-04-2020, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #134
Pentaxian

sorry, it's lame logic...K-3 (II is minor update) is the camera of October, 2013...SEVEN YEARS AGO...old project.
k-new is the new project.

why lower class cameras and higher have it, but new one has no....as for me it's strange.
The designers have spoken, They consider the new OVF to be a big deal, and LCD to be of little consequence. "At PENTAX, we prioritize viewfinder shooting, so we pay the utmost attention to the appearance of the viewfinder image, and to the camera’s image-tracking performance ...... In addition, incorporating an angle-adjustable screen in a compact body often makes it difficult to increase the size of the LCD monitor. That’s why PENTAX decided to equip this new camera with a fixed-type 3.2-inch monitor. This was a decision based on our goal of allowing the photographer to confirm the image’s quality and composition on a larger screen at the shooting location, while still keeping with the basic design concept of a compact, sturdy body."

https://pentaxofficial.com/en/6628/

Last edited by reh321; 09-04-2020 at 08:53 AM.
09-04-2020, 08:51 AM - 3 Likes   #135
Forum Member

So, I have seen the part 3 of the stories, about why they did not equip the K-new a tilt / orientable screen.
This makes sense. The new viewfinder is more compact, the overall layout is more compact, so the screen has to be kept compact as well.
The K-new will have 61.8 mm depth, which is not a lot, if you think about how little it is, above focal flange distance : 61.8-44.5 = 17.3mm.
Just above 17mm to fit all of these : sensor circuit, image stabilizer plate, image stabilizer chassis, mainboard, screen circuitry, screen glass.
People, this is impressive engineering.
Closed Thread