Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flippy screen will be in the K-newII.

09-04-2020, 10:40 AM - 2 Likes   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The problem is that there is also a lot of pontificating about how unneeded the flippy screen is (with a good deal of what can best be summarized as "smartphones lol") and how any complaint is almost brand heresy.
The unneeded pontificating usually comes after the flippy screen pontificators have been pontificating about the lack of a flippy screen. I've never read a post or thread that anyone has started from the so-called unneeded screen pontificators, all of this is started by the pro-flippy screen pontificators and then it all goes down hill.

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Honestly it's getting tiring, from both sides. I'm out of anything regarding the K-New.
Nah, you can't resist all of this.
09-04-2020, 10:41 AM - 4 Likes   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Flippy screen will be in the K-newII.

But then it won't be the "right" kind of flippy screen, so more complaints will happen.
09-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #169
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You're not responding to the question. You're not part of the potential market, which is fine except you want this camera to fail, while talking as if you are part of the potential market.
that's my business and you can't draw any conclusions about me. it's none of your business. I don't want to make any explanation to you personally about my wish, budget and plans...I take your questions and conclusions as personal insulting attack on me. I know almost nothing about K-new and can't make any conclusion if the camera is really good or not...
to say honest I don't care about it all...I just say that fixed LCD is no good move from manufacturer for top camera. that's all and it's absolutely normal. except me, there are other Pentax users that think in the same way....

Last edited by ogl; 09-04-2020 at 10:53 AM.
09-04-2020, 11:01 AM - 5 Likes   #170
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
that's my business and you can't draw any conclusions about me. it's none of your business. I don't want to make any explanation to you personally about my wish, budget and plans...I take your questions and conclusions as personal insulting attack on me. I know almost nothing about K-new and can't make any conclusion if the camera is really good or not...
to say honest I don't care about it all...I just say that fixed LCD is no good move from manufacturer for top camera. that's all and it's absolutely normal. except me, there are other Pentax users that think in the same way....
No insult intended. As I said, not buying a product is perfectly fine. You appeared to speak from behalf of potential buyers though.

The problem is, you already decided the camera is no good, a market failure etc. - while, as you admit, you know almost nothing about it.
But, can't you see it? I explained in a past post: an articulated screen isn't the problem this new APS-C flagship has to solve. Performance is.
As long as there's a substantial enough performance improvement, my guess is that it's fixed screen would be largely ignored by the actual market.
09-04-2020, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #171
ogl
Banned

I want to buy K-new very much. Is it OK? I want to know only one thing - will AF system reach D7500 or not. All the rest I don't care....
09-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #172
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are only three players at DSLR market...
What else? The rest are mirrorless cameras...
Hadn't the other players essentially left the dSLR market? Didn't they state that they won't make dSLR mount bodies/lenses anymore?
Sounds like there is only one prominent leader in the dSLR market, imo

09-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Hadn't the other players essentially left the dSLR market?
Even buggy whips are still made:
Westfield Whip
09-04-2020, 12:33 PM - 3 Likes   #174
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, it will have a fixed screen :-

Product Stories of New APS-C Vol.3?Wakashiro? | PENTAX official

The primary reason given is that it allows the body to be thinner and lighter. A secondary reason, one more of principle, is that Pentax majors on optical viewfinders so the type of screen is of lesser importance. These reasons are fair enough.

But other reasons are given which are more questionable. One is that it allows a larger screen, which contradicts the idea that the screen is of lesser importance. Another is that it allows a projecting eyepiece, but they could have done that anyway, and does that not add to the overall body thickness? Another is that it allows the camera body to be made "sturdy", but there are many ways to make something stronger and reducing the body depth is not the first one that springs to mind.

Moreover, my old Pentax LX also majored on its optical viewfinder because that is all it had, but in its case you could get a waist-level finder, and I did, and I use it. I doubt the K-new will offer one.

I won't be getting a K-new but my concern is that Pentax's future is partly riding on it, and the "influencers" like DPReview, Tony Northrop, Kai W, etc are going to crucify the K-new for not having even a tilt screen. There is going to be a bloodbath. You might not attach much weight to what those guys say, and I don't, but unfortunately many other people out there do listen to them and lap up (and repeat) what they say.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 09-04-2020 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Tpyo
09-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #175
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, fixed screen - that settles that debate.
09-04-2020, 01:02 PM - 4 Likes   #176
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
But other reasons are given which are more questionable.
I've noticed another somewhat contrary fact..

In this 3rd product story, they say the K-1 was given a flippy screen 'cause they expected it would be frequently mounted on a tripod, suggesting the new APS-C would less frequently be mounted on a tripod..
But Pentax just released the a DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 - designed for crop bodies AND has a special notch to hold a lens element warmer during astrophotography which necessitates a tripod...
09-04-2020, 01:03 PM - 5 Likes   #177

It would be a sad day if camera companies were only releasing cameras based on what DPReview, Tony Northrup et al. wanted, or what the mainstream market dictates. Different strokes for different folks - fortunately.

As a prospective buyer of this camera, I can tell you that I'm all in and that I am going to buy this camera, and the screen "issue" makes zero difference to me. So there will be buyers out there for the camera. I know I am not alone.
09-04-2020, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Well, it will have a fixed screen :-

Product Stories of New APS-C Vol.3?Wakashiro? | PENTAX official

Moreover, my old Pentax LX also majored on its optical viewfinder because that is all it had, but in its case you could get a waist-level finder, and I did, and I use it. I doubt the K-new will offer one.
I probably will buy K-new sooner or later but meanwhile are there any suitable old/used waist-level finder for Pentax K5II?
09-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #179
Veteran Member

Funny reasons for not having K-1 mechanism right there. First of, bigger screen is nonsense if it cannot be watched properly. And snapping a neck or two to see properly is not going to help. They even recently released new 11-18mm pro zoom which is usually used from low angle. Gosh. To have a proper large screen means the whole backside should be covered by one and that requires lot more height and mass for the camera body to reach 3:2 ratio. Few fractions of an inch is not going to make a small screen any better.
09-04-2020, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #180
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
I know I am not alone.
I'm ready to make a pre-order as soon as available
Closed Thread