Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2020, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #181

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I'm ready to make a pre-order as soon as available
It's the same with me. I'm only waiting for them to announce it so that I can put in a pre-order immediately. The objections we have heard from non-buyers haven't swayed me one iota.

09-04-2020, 01:08 PM - 5 Likes   #182
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ideas such as top model or flagship are wrong (despite being used by Pentax). The words should be meaningless to anyone actually interested in photography. The question should be which camera fits your use case and preferences. Pentax will have 4 cameras? Each a bit different and can all do most things but you pay for different priorities.

The GRIII is more expensive than the KP but lacks a lot of its features. It makes sense but which is the flagship? Meaningless question.

The arguments for not having a moveable screen are weak in that pentaxofficial piece. Not having one is a great idea however. Viewing it as a removed feature is mistaken. The fixed screen of the Leica SL, 1DX, d6 is a FEATURE.

Its like thinking its a bad restaurant because the portions are small.
09-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
The primary reason given is that it allows the body to be thinner and lighter.
To be fair to the Pentax article, it emphasizes "compact" and "sturdy," but I don't see weight or mass being mentioned explicitly (did I miss something?). I would agree, however, that omitting certain components would likely reduce the weight.

Another is that it allows a projecting eyepiece, but they could have done that anyway,
To assess the possibilities for the eyepiece, I think we would need to examine the design and its trade-offs, which we can't do at the moment. I would think that it's not a matter of simply projecting the eyepiece without regard for the other elements of the viewfinder. To put it another way, yes, the eyepiece could have been extended in a 'flippy screen' design but probably with negative impact on other aspects of the viewfinder.

In any case, I'm looking forward to a relatively long eye relief distance, because I wear eyeglasses when I shoot. For me, every millimetre helps.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 09-04-2020 at 01:19 PM.
09-04-2020, 01:17 PM - 2 Likes   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I

The arguments for not having a moveable screen are weak in that pentaxofficial piece. .

No it is in fact very good. As I've said elsewhere, Pentax design the camera to meet certain size and solidity standards. Pentax have now three formats. In order for them to coexist in best possible manner, each are designed to emphasize the advantage of each format. The main advantage of the APS format is size and weight.

09-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #185
Pentaxian

Ideas such as top model or flagship are wrong (despite being used by Pentax). The words should be meaningless to anyone actually interested in photography. The question should be which camera fits your use case and preferences. Pentax will have 4 cameras? Each a bit different and can all do most things but you pay for different priorities.

The GRIII is more expensive than the KP but lacks a lot of its features. It makes sense but which is the flagship? Meaningless question.

The arguments for not having a moveable screen are weak in that pentaxofficial piece. Not having one is a great idea however. Viewing it as a removed feature is mistaken. The fixed screen of the Leica SL, 1DX, d6 is a FEATURE.

The GRiii is in a different category than the KR - it is not a DSLR. Pentax right now manufactures three cameras, the K-70, the KP and the K-1ii. Only the K-1ii has the label "flagship".
09-04-2020, 01:31 PM   #186
Pentaxian

Agreed! And they(Pentax/ricoh) are vety fond of their legazy, they wanted to keep the spirit of highly liked K-3 up with fixed screen. It is indeed a feature to have rugged body with fixed screen. And a message. This camera is for the ones who prefer photography approach of holding camera up to your eye and looking the world through a OVF.

Not so many make a camera like that. It is not something for everyone. Unique in this time of flipetiflop selfie vlog cam.
09-04-2020, 01:33 PM   #187
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Ideas such as top model or flagship are wrong (despite being used by Pentax).
Pentax is making this new APS-C a statement piece - it truly makes sense to call this new camera a flagship.

09-04-2020, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #188
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The GRiii is in a different category than the KR - it is not a DSLR. Pentax right now manufactures three cameras, the K-70, the KP and the K-1ii. Only the K-1ii has the label "flagship".
My point is that "flagship" makes no sense as it only means "most advanced" or something like that. Thing is that the GRIII is the most advanced snapshot camera and the K-1 the most advanced field camera. The K-1 sucks for the GR use case. The knew appear to be again a different camera not great for those with GR or K-1 requirements.
09-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #189
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

So I'm curious...
a reason I haven't jumped for a DA* 200 f/2.8 or the DA* 300 f/4 or even the DA* 60-250 f/4 is because of the talk of slowish focusing.
I'm spoiled with the PLM...
How much do you think a drastically improved AF system within the camera would improve these lenses focusing ability?
At all? Is it all in-lens focusing with these SDM guys?
09-04-2020, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #190
Pentaxian

So I'm curious...
a reason I haven't jumped for a DA* 200 f/2.8 or the DA* 300 f/4 or even the DA* 60-250 f/4 is because of the talk of slowish focusing.
I'm spoiled with the PLM...
How much do you think a drastically improved AF system within the camera would improve these lenses focusing ability?
I believe focusing is a team effort - the smarts are in the body. Cameras like the Nikon D500 even have a separate processor for that task.

We won’t know anything for certain until real users get their hands on this new body and can talk about it, but I would expect this body to focus with any lens better than the K-3ii does, but to focus better with lenses containing this own motor than it does when it has to provide the power through the screw-drive.
09-04-2020, 02:09 PM - 2 Likes   #191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my concern is that Pentax's future is partly riding on it, and the "influencers" like DPReview, Tony Northrop, Kai W, etc are going to crucify the K-new for not having even a tilt screen.
I wish I had your faith that wouldn;t just be the pretext they chose - the truth is that if a camera of the currently favoured brand lacked a flip screen it would not be a deal breaker - people who bought Pentax because it was cool left long ago, and a feature that everyone else has won't be what lures them back or lures others to the brand. I don't have a flip screen on my K-3 and I don't think it's ever stopped me getting the picture I want, just like the lack of live view on the K10D didn't and the lack of a rear LCD on my Z1, SFXn, LX and ME super (or 67 or 67ii) didn't. I like and use the flip screen on the K-1, but it's not my camera of choice for all instances. The days of one camera is best for everything are gone.
09-04-2020, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #192
Forum Member

My point is that "flagship" makes no sense as it only means "most advanced" or something like that. Thing is that the GRIII is the most advanced snapshot camera and the K-1 the most advanced field camera. The K-1 sucks for the GR use case. The knew appear to be again a different camera not great for those with GR or K-1 requirements.
You're right that it is arbitrary, but flagship is generally used to mean a top of the line, feature-complete product for which most of their research and development is specifically conducted rather than repackaged pre-existing technology with minor iterative changes. With how sparse Pentax's release schedule has been though, yeah, the distinction doesn't necessarily mean as much to many people as the fact that they're releasing a camera at all. I'm not really complaining - I only have used equipment anyway ( this stuff's expensive!), and in general I'd like for healthier and more sustainable turnover in the tech industry. I suppose it's also a bit odd to people when you call your APS-C a flagship when you also sell a full-frame camera, and though the K-1 II isn't that old, there are things that people would have liked for then as well as some great tech advancements since. A K-1 successor/update that included a BSI sensor could be the bee's knees. I'd be unlikely to buy it on release anyway... but, you know, it would be cool.
09-04-2020, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #193
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I believe focusing is a team effort - the smarts are in the body.
I doubt you can speed up the focusing speed of the lens. I would guess that the SDM speed has been optimised for the torque required and that the in body focus motor won't be improved any more.

However, on the K3 at least, there is a huge amount of room for improving the 'confidence' of the AF system which would drastically reduce the total focusing time. Much? of this improvement already exists in later cameras (K3II, KP).
09-04-2020, 02:23 PM - 4 Likes   #194
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just for the fun of it, the K-New-II (with a K1 screen).
Attached Images

09-04-2020, 02:41 PM - 3 Likes   #195
Pentaxian

Well, it will have a fixed screen :-

Product Stories of New APS-C Vol.3?Wakashiro? | PENTAX official

The primary reason given is that it allows the body to be thinner and lighter. A secondary reason, one more of principle, is that Pentax majors on optical viewfinders so the type of screen is of lesser importance. These reasons are fair enough..
Anyone really care about a centimeter or a few grams? I think most would rather have a tilt screen.
Closed Thread